Why is the photographer uncredited?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by impending, Feb 9, 2019.

1. impending

impending Meyvn (1,175) Mar 12, 2010 California

Why is the person who added a beer to the database acknowledged but the photographer of the accompanying image left uncredited?

I posit in many instances the effort to add a beer is far less than the effort to add an image considering you must crop to a specific size and manage the KB of the image. I can add a beer while holding my breath - imaging and submittal takes considerably more energy.

However, the effort factor is irrelevant as it is simply fair play. Why credit one but not the other? Both contributors are bettering BA on the same topic.
    jd

2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,087) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Agreed. Seems an after thought for the user uploading an image.

Would love to see accountability and recognition in the users that upload images.

3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,223) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

I third this, as if we get a say.

TheBrewsky and impending like this.
  4. Todd

Todd Founder (5,633) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

There's no reason. It's simply never been discussed or requested until this thread.
    It's a somewhat easy add.
    This site has evolved for over two decades thanks to input from the community. We read and consider all constructive feedback.

5. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,087) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Thank you for your reception of ideas and continued support. That's why I love being apart of this community.

Cheers.

6. beer_beer

beer_beer Initiate (182) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Premium

Are there still in your database who added the photos and when?

Snowcrash000 likes this.
  7. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,196) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

Yup, I was also wondering if people will get credit retroactively if this is implemented.

Considering the sheer volume of pictures in the database, I reckon this would only be possible if the data is already there and the process can be automated.

8. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,231) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Premium

I have added quite a few photos and it is pretty easy once you get a process down. I don't care one way or the other about credit.

bluejacket74 and TheBrewsky like this.
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,300) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

I'm pretty sure that if you click on your username and personal stats or karma that you'll find out how many pics you have submitted for beers and places, therefore the info must be stored in some format in the database.

10. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,196) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

The only question is how easy it would be to create a function that automatically takes all that data from the database and applies and displays it for every entry.

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. Todd

Todd Founder (5,633) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

Updates:
    For now, I've applied some quick fixes to address the feedback.
    • Added "photo uploaded by" acknowledgement for beers and places. Unlike "added by" we're not storing the date. We do have that data in the file, but accessing the file system every time would be reckless.
    • I'm using "uploaded by" because in some cases the photo is sourced from another party and I don't want to make any claims of ownership.
    • Grabbing the username for the photo required another database query on the page, so to reduce overhead both acknowledgments are only displayed for logged in users right now. I'll probably make it public once our pages get recached.
    • Usernames are now hyperlinked.
    Thanks to @impending for bringing this long-overdue update to my attention.

hreb, bluejacket74, sharpski and 32 others like this.
  12. impending

impending Meyvn (1,175) Mar 12, 2010 California

You're the Man Todd
    Much Thanks & Cheers
    jd

13. beer_beer

beer_beer Initiate (182) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Premium

Nice! Fast work during the weekend.

Todd likes this.
  14. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Disciple (399) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts

wow -- some wonderful sentiments of collaboration and camaraderie here.....I can think of a few threads that could use a little of this right about now....

Todd likes this.
  15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,352) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Talk aboot listening to helpful suggestions and acting on them as quickly as this!

Big kudos!

16. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (5,431) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Find myself coming in again after realizing an update has been made and saying, nice work! Another nice little enhancement.

PapaGoose03 and Todd like this.