Why no love for pin lock kegs?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by psnydez86, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Pin lock kegs seem like the ugly step child of corny kegs. Why the hate? I only have one keg right now (ball lock) but am hoping to get 2 or 3 more. Many places have pin locks 10-20 bucks cheaper than ball lock. Are the pin locks a real pain in the butt or what?

2. Soneast

Soneast Champion (811) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

I have 4 pin-lock kegs. Since they're slightly shorter than ball-lock, I was able to get 2 of them in my small fridge, that's why I went with them. One negative aspect is the lack of pressure release valve, however I bought all my kegs from Midwest and they all had a pressure relief valve, so no issues there for me. Other than that I see no reason NOT to go with pin-lock, other than almost everybody else will have ball-lock, so it may be a pain if you want to share kegs with people.

psnydez86 likes this.
  3. NiceFly

NiceFly Aspirant (233) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

Insert obvious balls joke here:grimacing:

inchrisin and psnydez86 like this.
  4. NiceFly

NiceFly Aspirant (233) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

When I started kegging it just seemed like there were more ball lock kegs on the market than pin lock, so I went with ball lock. They were about the same price as well.

The supply and prices have changed since then.

5. dogglebe

dogglebe Initiate (85) Feb 12, 2013 New York

A couple of years back, I owned eight, or so, kegs. Both pin and ball lock. Never thought one was better than the other. When I downsized my brewery, I got rid of the pinlocks just so all my kegs would use the same connectors.

Phil

6. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,571) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

No pressure relief pull is the reason for me.

7. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (1,763) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

No pressure release valve and due to there extra girth, I can only fit 2 pin lock corny kegs in my 1/2 barrel triple tower kegerator vs. 3 ball lock corny kegs.

8. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (253) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

I have a mix of the 2 styles and like them both. I've never had to destroy a pin lock connector because I put it on the wrong post, and I can hook up a pin lock keg without even looking at the posts to see which one is which. But the extra girth is a problem. ! can only fit 5 pin locks in my carbonating/lagering fridge, if I have at least 2 ball lock kegs I can fit 6. I have the threaded fittings so my connectors are easy to change between keg types.

9. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,471) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Pepsi went to the bag in a box early, hence the early supply of pin locks.

Pin locks have some advantages. Thicker gage steel, harder to dent. Can't get the disconnect forced on the wrong post. Shorter height larger diameter is good for somethings, not for others. Lack of PRV is a disadvantage.

I have ball locks, as that is what was out there when I started to keg.

With a swivel nut on your lines, you can swap disconnects between the two.

inchrisin likes this.
  10. arkansastroy

arkansastroy Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Arkansas

I have a mixed bunch, 5 pin Lock and 3 Ball lock. They each have their advantages/disadvantages as noted above. For me the mix is fine. In my kegerator I can fit 4 pin lock and 2 ball lock, or all three BL and 3 PL if they were all PL it would only fit 5 because they are wider. The disadvantage of the ball lock for me is that there is little room between the top of the keg and the ceiling to mess with the connectors. BTW I got a great package deal on these, $300.00 for all 8 kegs, One BL is a 3 gallon the rest are 5. plus a 20 and a 5 pound CO2 tank, regulator, crappy tower tap (that I do not use), and a couple of faucets and shanks, a few connectors and other random stuff. . So when the static seal on the pressure valve of a PL went bad it made more sense to pay $20.00 for a lid with the Manual release valve than $10.00 for the replacement static valve. I will eventually replace them all as needed, and still have less into them than if purchased retail. I think I will JB weld the static valve into the other lid just to have a spare on hand.

11. dogglebe

dogglebe Initiate (85) Feb 12, 2013 New York

I never needed a pressure release valve with the pinlocks. To relieve pressure, I just pressed the gas poppet in.

12. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,847) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I made that mistake of pressing the liquid poppet once when I worked in a movie theater 25+ years ago. I had cola syrup everywhere. Forgot all about this glorious moment until now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.