Why so few 32oz Growlers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by johnInLA, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (913) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I do find it odd that so few breweries sell 32oz or 1 liter growlers.

At least in my case, a gallon of beer is to much beer to drink in one sitting. I can do 32 oz or even 1 liter, but 64oz is just to much. So that prevents me from buying growlers from breweries that only sell 64oz growlers.

I'm grateful to breweries like Stone and El Segundo Brewing Company that offer 1 liter or 32oz options.

My question is why do so few breweries offer 32oz growlers? Why had the industry settled on 64oz? I would think they would sell more beer if they offered 32oz or 1 liter options.

What do you think?

John1985, MonkeyBread and tkdchampxi like this.
  2. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,347) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Depends on the state you live in. When I lived in Florida, the only option you had was 32 oz. or 128 oz. You think a half gallon's too much? Try wrapping your head around buying an entire gallon of one beer in a growler. Ridiculous. It was cool to have the 32 oz. option though since, yeah, a 64 oz. growler has to be split between at least two people. That's why I'm glad I live in NC since we can legally have both 32 oz. and 64 oz. growlers. Not to say the alcohol laws in this state aren't somewhat ridiculous at times, but it could be way worse.

3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (7,994) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

They're actually gaining in popularity around here. Pretty much every brewery and place that fills growlers has 'em.

4. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,530) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Well, thankfully 64 oz is only a half gallon...

A few around here do offer the quarts. I figure I don't make the trek to the brewery very often, so the sixty four works for me. They keep reasonably well, but I also don't worry much about putting a stopper in a 22 ouncer either. Unless it is something the missus and I are sharing, a 64 can last me a week.

As to why the 64 seems to be the standard, no clue.

seels58, BBThunderbolt and yemenmocha like this.
  5. BWED

BWED Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2012 Colorado

I just bought a 32 oz. growler from Tired Hands recently, and have begun to wonder the same thing. I like it for various reasons. It's a little more mobile. You don't have to struggle to finish it, especially with higher ABV beers. But, it is also large enough to share. My favorite thing, though, is that it pours just like any other big bottle of beer. The 64 oz. growlers glug out and pour too hard if you aren't careful. I have a 64 oz. Victory swingtop growler that is just a nightmare to pour out of.

MikeM417 likes this.
  6. Nick_isthatstillcool

Nick_isthatstillcool Aspirant (286) Apr 28, 2014 Florida

In Fl 32oz is pretty standard, only because archaic laws ban 64oz containers, 128oz....no problem however.

CASK1 and HeartofMiami like this.
  7. Hendry

Hendry Champion (826) Mar 8, 2013 Vermont

Agreed, after all the effort it takes to get to Hill Farmstead coupled with the low fill limit they have, consumers must settle for 750ml of Double Galaxy or Double Citra: a 32 oz. fill would be a more satisfying alternative to a 64 oz.
    Fiddlehead cheerfully fills my 1 liter swing top growlers.

8. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Ehhh... feeling like maybe I have a drinking problem, because 64 oz. is about right.

TCJ0100, rozzom, CASK1 and 16 others like this.
  9. micromaniac129

micromaniac129 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I believe Vermont is spelled "Vermont" you have Vermdnt.

10. Smileitsfreetobehappy

Smileitsfreetobehappy Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2014 Alaska

So I clear this up for everyone..... 64oz. IS NOT A GALLON a gallon is 128oz. a 64oz. growler is a "half gallon" I run a huge beer section with 40 taps at its growler bar its hilarious how clueless people are as to the simple units of measure....

11. neckbeered

neckbeered Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2013 Montana

I have a 40oz stainless I like to fill, only ever get charged the half growler price and it's just the right amount of beer. I like full growlers for smaller beers or if I plan on sharing, but 64oz of something 10-12% is usually too much for me. I'm sure the 32's will pick up steam before too long.

12. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 California

Seems like your locale - I almost only fill 32 oz flip tops. And when I don't ... I'm usually filling 750 ml flip tops because those are sort of the ideal "single serve" in my opinion. Most of the growler fill places near me just ask "how many ounces is that" and divide the fill price to give me the same $ / OZ. Yeah, we got it good out here.

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  13. nmyers462000

nmyers462000 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2013 Florida

32 ounce crowler are a game changer. They are gaining steam here in Florida because of our unique laws, but will be a preferred vessel that is available more broadly soon.
    Only drawback are that it is non - reusable like glass and there is an initial investment in the seemer machine (but there is an investment in glass with growlers... so not sure this is a big barrier).

HeartofMiami likes this.
  14. Scarfer_Brad

Scarfer_Brad Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2014 Florida

Hill Farmstead has a 750 ML and places in FL like Cigar City have 32 oz.. and every place I go will fill either up[​IMG]

IMFletcher, Nick_V and Kurmaraja like this.
  15. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (548) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

Ray's does 32oz fills, sometimes it's the only option for limited beers (KBS was 32oz-only).

16. Chinaskifan1

Chinaskifan1 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

I agree. 64 oz is 4 pints. I can drink 4 pints if it's not a real high ABV.

yemenmocha and EricTKole like this.
  17. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (335) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

You need to think differently....instead of saying "I can't drink a gallon", which it isn't, you should be saying "I bet I can drink half a gallon". It's all perspective and motivation.

18. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (3,427) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio
    Society

you don't have .a problem you didn't run out of beer did you :rolling_eyes:

yemenmocha likes this.
  19. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (3,427) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio
    Society

I had a Mosaic IPA brewed by Cigar City I could rock a gallon of that hit a stout or two in between that's a planned blackout right there :wink:

HeartofMiami likes this.
  20. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2009 Kentucky

One particular chain of local bottle shops here offers 32oz or 64oz pours (unless its something rare/limited and then they specifically limit you to 32oz). But even then, they try to push you towards the 64oz growlers as "better value" - although on one occasion when I tried to order a 32oz growler, the guy behind the counter told me that they try to sell customers on the 64oz growler because it was more of a pain in the ass to clean/disinfect the 32oz jugs than 64oz jugs. I called BS but what do I know?

21. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 California

So awesome they want to give the customer more value but ...I wonder if the business also noticed that filling a 64 oz growler is more revenue for them? :slight_smile:

22. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Depending on the place, your loyalty, your attitude and the bartender that's working - many places will fill 2 - 32 oz. growlers for the price of 1 - 64 oz. My advice - ask and tip accordingly.

WillieThreebiers likes this.
  23. Tylertut

Tylertut Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Ohio

My local shop only carries 64oz growler and only fills theirs. I'd love to use a 32 there but can't. But the prices are good so I can't complain and they get good stuff in. For high abv beers 64oz is a little hard to do in a night.

24. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Thank you. I want to thank you on his behalf and on behalf of everyone on Beer Advocate. Everyone loves the guy who points out inadvertent typos. You do everyone a great service, keep up the good work.

SD-Alefan, tubeman and johnInLA like this.
  25. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,102) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Yep, I've never had a problem getting my Crux and Boneyard mini growlers filled in WA or OR.

26. pjs234

pjs234 Devotee (456) Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

There are a few breweries near me that do either a 750 or a 2L (or a 64oz for the same price as 2L). The 750's are typically 1/2 the price of the 2L, despite being less than half the quantity. What I have started doing is getting a 64oz filled. When it's time to consume it, assuming I am not sharing it with someone, I will fill a 32oz growler with the contents of the 64, and then drink the rest. Assuming you can do a slow pour and not get an abundance of head, then the 32oz growler should hold up ok. I have done this a few times. Each time the 32 was pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as from the original pour, but certainly not enough of a drop off to not do it.

johnInLA likes this.
  27. richobrien

richobrien Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2013 California

I like the 32oz option to try something new that I haven't had before. For other beers, I would love a gallon option. I'd have less empty growlers in my beer cave and fewer trips to my preferred breweries and more money for beer.

28. johnInLA

Society Trader

For what its worth, it was a typo, not a misunderstanding of basic units of measurement. By the time I noticed it, I had missed the edit window.

Regardless, my mistake. Sorry about that. Hopefully it won't distract to much more from the my main point of the thread.

Which is the lack of 32oz or 1 liter growlers, at least here in Southern California.

And whether there is demand out there of growlers of this size.

And if there is demand, why don't more breweries offer them?

29. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

When I buy 64oz growlers I usually end up sharing a lot of it

30. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

I'm going to make a guess. The cost for making printed 64oz bottles is probably not much more money than what 32oz containers cost. So, brewpubs determined more people would purchase the bigger bottle.

31. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I just had a 32oz growler of Saranac Pumpkin. I picked it up because it was only 5 bucks and looked cool but too bad the beer is lame.

32. buzzedup

buzzedup Devotee (428) Dec 21, 2006 Pennsylvania

Sick with the 64 oz, Bombers are made to last a few days . Really no need to consume in one sitting.

33. DahWag

DahWag Initiate (111) Apr 5, 2014 Colorado

Yep, there are places here that restrict LE beers to 32's. Since I cut my teeth on 64's, I say you gotta commit! I plan my week around whatever I fill up, whether it's to share or individual.
    I will say though, I'm not filling any size growler with something I'm not too sure of.

34. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

My favorite brewery - Other Half - always offers 32 oz fills. And some of their more limited stuff is only 32 oz fills. (granted you could bring in multiple 32 oz growlers and fill them up)

35. Hendry

Hendry Champion (826) Mar 8, 2013 Vermont

Must be the angle :wink:

36. Retroman40

Retroman40 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2013 Florida

My local Liquor Barn sells/refills both 32 and 64 oz bottles - they call the 32's "Howlers". To me they're perfect for high ABV stuff that even 32 ounces can be pushing my limits a bit.

37. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (436) Mar 5, 2014 New York

I agree, for high ABV beers or something I just want to try, the 32oz is a good option and I found one place near me that sold 32oz growler. Maybe not everyone will fill it, but would think many places would if they fill 64oz.

38. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

My local beer store does Mason Jar pints which is nice to try somethign new.

39. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I've never bought beer with a growler so pardon my ignorance on this. But why can't you bring in your growler, whatever the size, and have them fill it to whatever level you want? I must be missing something.

40. johnInLA

Society Trader

Good question.

Different states have different laws for growlers. So much of what you can and can't do with growlers varies by state. Here in California, only breweries fill growers. We can't go into a bar or bottle shop and get a growler fill.

In addition, until recently, you had to have a growler from that brewery. Even with the change in the law that allows breweries to fill groweries other than their own, I have yet to see one that would fill a size other than the size they sell. So if a brewery only sells 64 oz growlers, you can only get 64oz fills.

Although maybe others in California have had a different experience?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.