Wicked Weed Sour Taproom

Discussion in 'US - South' started by ndepriest, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ndepriest

ndepriest Initiate (155) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

youngac and NCMonte like this.
  2. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Heh, wouldn't doubt it... But honestly, probably a push just to seat more folks, the place can get out right mobbed on a Friday or Saturday evening/night. Good brews to be had at Wicked Weed for sure. Oh darn, didn't catch they were moving it over to Coxe Ave, that's near Twin Leaf Brewing and Asheville Brewing Co. Nice.

3. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Can't wait.. I'm so happy they are bottling stuff now.

May can't get here soon enough when we go up to open the house up for the summer.

marleyr likes this.
  4. DWheeler379

DWheeler379 Initiate (180) Jun 15, 2012 Colorado

Wonder if they'll still offer the sours at the restaurant/brewpub. I prefer their IPAs and Belgians just because I'm newer to sours, so I'll still hit up the brewpub. That sour tasting room should be pretty cool though and might split the crowds a bit. The sour tasting room will be a beer geek's paradise. Cool stuff.

5. wedge

wedge Poo-Bah (3,518) Jan 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society

I'm pumped for this. Four times the current number of barrels and 10-15 taps.

A recent tweet said "opening late summer".

6. Carp19

Carp19 Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2013 North Carolina

Burial and Green Man too.

NCMonte likes this.
  7. fehrminator

fehrminator Devotee (446) Jan 26, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I like WW. I don't particularly like them pricing their bottled sours like they're Russian River. They're not there yet. Unfortunately I feel like I'm seeing this more and more with new and up and coming breweries. When you price your new beer above world class examples of the style, I'm not buying your beer. Rant over.

Immortale25, DWheeler379 and jmw like this.
  8. andyctree

andyctree Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina

I feel the same way. I'm sure the Gold, and winning over Russian River has a part to play in this though.

But to be completely honest, WW Sours don't even compare to Crooked Staves. I'm not saying WW sours are bad, they just seem a little pre-mature compared to top of the line.

9. Handle

Handle Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2009 North Carolina

10. andyctree

They did something similar last year during Asheville Beer Week at Thirsty Monk, Rare and Wild Beer Fest.

I have only heard positive reviews from the event. I was unable to attend as it was my staff party to end our school year. It really ticks me off that they place Asheville Beer Week every year on the last week of my school year.

Handle likes this.
  11. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Initiate (144) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

Huh? 500ml of Wicked Weed Black Angel is $13. 375ml of Russian River Consecration is $13. That's 4 more ounces for the same price.

12. fehrminator

Trader

It was just under $15 after tax at Sam's in Durham. 375mL = 12.68 ounces. That puts Consecration at $1.03/ounce and Black Angel at $.88/ounce. You might call that a significant difference. I wouldn't.

13. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

I didn't purchase the Black Angel, but I did the Serenity. There is a reason Serenity took the gold, but also, not so much into sours, so I'll pass on the festival. It just takes me back to those bad college Zima, wine cooler years which I would rather forget, well the parts I can remember.

Edit: I may re think if they bottle their Gran Cru. That was also very very good for a sour.

14. Handle

Wicked Weed also doesn't have the same economies of scale as Russian River. These barrel-aged beers take a lot of time and skill to make, and I think they're pricing them appropriately.

pgrenvicz, tlh1005, marleyr and 2 others like this.
  15. fehrminator

Trader

I might pay $15 again for Black Angel. Indulgence was a disappointment. I'm not just talking about WW though. Can you guys honestly say that $15 for Pistols at Dawn, $20 for Mystery batch one, or even $3.59 for a 12 ounce bottle of Big Boss War Hawk (a frickin' APA for the love of God) doesn't rub you the wrong way a little? I realize that I'm totally threadjacking BTW so sorry and I hereby state for the record that I will visit the new taproom the next time that I'm in Asheville. No lie.

16. abb610

abb610 Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina

While I have loved all that ww has made, thier sours are milder than what I prefer. Green man on the other hand has the sour, punch you in the face pucker I crave.

marvin213 and andyctree like this.
  17. wolfeman007

wolfeman007 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2007 North Carolina

F that :slight_smile: I like the fisher price, gateway sour quality of what I feel like these WW bottles bring to the party..the friends I have shared them with (none of us like sours) have really enjoyed them..you can tell its complex and well made from the first sip..

18. Handle

Well, I'm cheap, so I'd probably balk at those prices no matter what (even though I really enjoyed Pistols at Dawn and Mystery Batch One -- haven't had Big Boss Warhawk).

I usually stick to the six-packs or affordable bottles for a better value, but it's nice to indulge every now and then.

fehrminator likes this.
  19. LaurenGuy

LaurenGuy Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 South Carolina

Wicked Weed did receive Bronze at the World Beer Cup for their Tyrant Double Red....maybe not the same notoriety as others, but the quality is exceptional and well worth the price in my opinion.

20. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,436) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I mostly agree with you. $13/$14 for a 500 mL is steep especially when they're a brand new brewery. But not only is it mad expensive to have a barrel program and time consuming to maintain it, but WW knows they're the hottest game in town. No other brewery in Asheville has the draw they do. I was in line for the Serenity release and, after drinking it, felt like $11 was a fair price to pay because the Brett was fantastic. I had the Amorous though and, while good, was not worth $13 IMO. And $14 for Black Angel is ridiculous (I find it to be too sour) but that's definitely one of their most popular beers so they know people will buy it. Not to mention, sours are all the rage these days. Can't blame WW for riding the wave while they can.

21. marleyr

marleyr Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2014 South Carolina

A black sour is too sour? Don't drink sours then. It was more tart than sour. And what does being new have anything to do with it? If you're are making great beers, who cares. Sours are harder to make and it takes longer. They also have to buy barrels. The prices are fair as well. What would you pay at a bar for 2 craft draft beers?

22. pieman396

pieman396 Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania

I'm going to Wicked Weed (and asheville) for the first time next week (4/24). Should I expect to find any sours or BA beers on tap? Any bottles?

23. mccorvey

mccorvey Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 North Carolina

Yep, sours on taps- go downstairs. Don't know about bottles.

24. andyctree

Yes and Yes.

24th is actually their next bottle release, Genesis.

25. andyctree

I love Wicked Weed beers especially their sours, but I can see why some would consider them to be a little high on the pricing.

I place all sours up against Crooked Staves, and then compare. Black Angel is one of the better sours that WW produces. Personally, I think Serenity is one of their worst. Not that it is bad, just they brew some better beers than it. The other day I had a Black Angel lined up next to CS Cherry Origins, and there wasn't even a comparison about which one was better. crooked Stave blew it out of the water. I have said this before, but I think with time WW will catch up to CS. CS took some time to fully develop their amazing sours. I think with time Wicked Weed will get better. Wicked Weeds sours just taste a little premature to me.

26. tlh1005

tlh1005 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 North Carolina

I'd compare using the actual brewery price rather than what the bottle shop is charging. And as everyone else said, scale, time, and space in the brewery are everything. As long as people are buying them I wouldn't say they're priced to high.

27. HopsJunkiedotcom

HopsJunkiedotcom Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2010 Florida

Not to mention Chad from Crooked Stave has spent quite a long time learning about bugs at an academic microbiology level and is American Sour royalty at this point.

28. andyctree

Exactly.

But I would say 2-3 years ago he wasn't producing the quality he is producing now.
    I feel in a couple of years, with more experimentation and learning, Wicked Weed will start churning out sours up to Chad's level.

kristougher likes this.
  29. Immortale25

Society Trader

Not everyone who liked sours wants them to be sour as possible. Just because I found one beer to be too sour for my taste doesn't mean I should not drink sours.

chefkevlar and jmw like this.
  30. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

True that. Same goes for IPAs. The best ones are not the absolute hoppiest nor most bitter.

31. Immortale25

Society Trader

Precisely

32. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I've never had a greenman sour, but I think they are one of the better breweries in the area, IMO.

33. andyctree

Yes. Wicked Weed's new sour taproom is going to be even closer to Green Man now.

Green Man Maceo is pretty tart, but I preferred Snozzberry this year to Maceo.

34. marleyr

marleyr Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2014 South Carolina

The name is Green Man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.