Wild Mind Artisan Ales

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by JZossMPLS, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JZossMPLS

JZossMPLS Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota

Just wanted to share the news that Wild Mind Artisan Ales is opening in South Minneapolis this summer! Full disclosure: they're a client of mine, but I'd be very excited about them regardless!

Announcing Wild Mind Artisan Ales, A New Brewery Focused on Barrel Aging and Fermenting

For Immediate Release

MINNEAPOLIS, MN – January 11, 2016 – In recent years, Minnesota has become one of the most vibrant and exciting markets for craft beer. With hopes of carving out our own niche in this rich and vital community, we are pleased to announce that we will be launching Wild Mind Artisan Ales, a brewery focused on barrel aging and fermenting.

Wild Mind will predominantly produce wild, sour, farmhouse, saison, and rustic ales in the traditional European method: through barrel aging and blending, which produces beers with rich, deep, complex flavors. Roughly 75 percent of our beer will be aged in oak barrels in our temperature- and humidity-controlled wood cellar, in the manner of traditional Belgian breweries. Most of the beer from our cellar will eventually be blended with other barrels to create depth and uniformity. In addition to our wild fermented ales, we will also feature cider, mead and the occasional pale ale and stout on tap. All of our beers are brewed with wild Minnesotan yeast cultured from around the state by our head brewer. These strains were harvested from St. Paul and northern Minnesota from multiple wild fruit bushes, trees and wildflowers.

The Wild Mind Artisan Ales taproom will open in late Spring or Summer at 6031 Pillsbury Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55419 and feature a custom wood cellar viewable to the public, a large outdoor beer courtyard and a modern yet warm feel. Upon opening, the taproom list will initially showcase farmhouse, saison, and rustic style beers along with our rotating cider and mead taps. We are committed to releasing our beer at the highest possible standard and will launch our first sours several months after the taproom’s opening, as they require longer fermentation and aging.

Wild Mind Artisan Ales was founded by Mat Waddell, who comes from a long line of brewers and distillers. His great-grandparents were farmhouse bootleggers, and the tradition passed down through generations of the Waddell family. Mat has been brewing at home and professionally for over seven years. With a Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, his priority is focusing on the details at the highest level and producing top quality beer. The development and building ownership team is completed by Jason Sandquist and Tylor Johnson of BridgeSquare Capital.

In the coming months, we plan to release more details about the brewery, our beer, and our process. We look forward to providing a unique craft beer experience.

In the meantime, please feel free to contact us at hello@wildmindales.com with any questions or comments. Also, please visit our website at www.wildmindales.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

2. Evilyak

Evilyak Defender (671) May 28, 2005 Minnesota

i appreciate your use of the oxford comma.

3. shadetree67

shadetree67 Disciple (307) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

I'm really looking forward to this brewery. MN is sorely lacking in sour breweries

4. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (158) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

It was omitted on three separate occasions. There was also three extraneous commas that could have been put to better use.

5. JZossMPLS

JZossMPLS Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota

Dang, there are some serious proofreaders in here!

6. architects

architects Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2011 Minnesota

This sounds promising. I'll look forward to it, especially since it's close to home!

7. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (158) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

8. afistfulofbeer

afistfulofbeer Initiate (0) May 16, 2016

Looks like Wild Mind received the remainder of their equipment last week:

and already have a Brewer's Notice in hand:

9. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota

Still no word on a potential opening date? I don't know if I'd rather they give an estimate and then miss it by three months or do like they're doing and not give a timeline, but I can understand why they haven't given a concrete date thus far.

10. Aaron8587

Aaron8587 Initiate (21) Jan 12, 2016 Minnesota

I haven't seen anything yet. Even thought there have been a decent amount of posts, they have been pretty silent about it on Facebook. I drove by over the weekend and the exterior still looks rough, though there was one new door in and possibly some paint? I guess only time will tell.

11. will1256

will1256 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota

FTFY. As long as we're being pedantic.

12. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota

I swung by a couple weeks ago to invite them to the June event at the MoA and there was an electrician doing some work, so it seems they're still plugging away at it.

13. afistfulofbeer

afistfulofbeer Initiate (0) May 16, 2016

Great progress has been made on the exterior shell over the past few days. All glazing is in and walls being painted as I drove by yesterday. It's foolish for breweries to throw out a projected or firm open date until they brew their first batch of beer otherwise they are likely to miss it. From the looks of it, they'll open within 6-8 months of closing on the property which is pretty much par for most breweries.

14. BeerNerd_1

BeerNerd_1 Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2016

I'll bike by one of these evenings and take a peak. I stopped in during their open house and it looked like things were progressing, though far from opening.

15. jasonsandquist

jasonsandquist Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2015 Minnesota

16. HeadRetention

HeadRetention Initiate (74) Jul 13, 2015 Minnesota

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.