Wild Mind Artisanal Ales

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by opwog, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boldbrew

Boldbrew Initiate (137) Jun 26, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Less than 40 bottles left. No line.

2. Petcha

Petcha Aspirant (259) Jul 30, 2012 Minnesota
    Trader

Anyone know if wind in the willows sold out today?

3. MonDak_Joe1953

MonDak_Joe1953 Poo-Bah (2,221) Aug 4, 2017 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I stopped by close to 5pm on Saturday, and there were plenty of bottles in the cooler.
    Water main construction has the area all tore up, including Pillsbury Ave in front.

morimech and Petcha like this.
  4. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (170) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

From Facebook:
    It’s time to celebrate two years of wild, wild fun at Wild Mind Artisan Ales. We’re hosting Second Round, our anniversary party, on Saturday, August 4 from 2-8pm. Below are all the details you need to party properly.

All speciality beers are $5 and require the purchase of a 10 oz tasting glass, which is available for $5 at the check-in booth immediately as you enter if you are paying cash or you can use a credit card at the tasting room registers. We’ll have a beer tent and our tap van set up in the parking lot. Both are cash only, but you can also buy beer tickets at the tasting room bar inside.

The below speciality beers will be available outside only:
    **Second Round: Molten Lava Cake - Imperial stout conditioned on cocoa nibs, French sea salt, vanilla beans, and cinnamon before aging in rye whiskey barrels
    **Sour Fortunella - A spontaneous lambic-style ale aged in foeders for one year then transferred to French cognac barrels where it was refermented on kumquats for six months.
    **Pash Bash - Passionfruit & dragonfruit sour
    Slow Motion Riot - Super Fruited Pink Guava IPA
    **Molten Lava Firkin - (TBD)
    **Slow Motion Riot Firkin - Toasted coconut
    **Puff The Passion Dragon - Sour IPA with dragonfruit and passionfruit
    **Arillus - Pomegranate sour
    ** La Reine - Rhubarb American wild ale with blueberries and boysenberries

Our regular taplist will also be available in the tasting room. The outside stations will be open until beer runs out or 8:00 pm.

Bottle Releases:
    We’ll be selling bottles of Second Round: Molten Lava Cake stout during the event. This imperial stout was brewed with toasted wheat and oats and conditioned on cocoa nibs, French sea salt, vanilla beans, and cinnamon before aging in rye whiskey barrels for six months. Cost is $20 per 750ml bottle. Limit 2.

We’ll also be releasing the 2018 blend of Pash Bash, a passionfruit and dragonfruit sour with a wild, complex base to complement the tart, tropical fruits. One of our most popular beers to date, Pash Bash aged on more than 700 pounds of passionfruit and dragonfruit to create a lightly tart, vibrantly pink beast of a sour that's as beautiful as it is refreshing. Cost is $22 per 750ml bottle. Limit 2.

Crowler Release:
    Slow Motion Riot - Brewed with one pound of pink guava puree per gallon, this special crowler release has notes of overripe mango and grapefruit pith to accompany the tartness of the guava. This lucid IPA was double dry-hopped with a blend of Motueka, Citra, and Amarillo for added bitter and citrus flavor.

All bottles and crowlers will be released at 2pm at a designated tent onsite, where cash and credit cards are accepted. All limits are subject to change, at anytime, without advanced warning. No reservations, online sales, or phone sales. (FBS members can pick up their pre-purchased bottles at the tent, as well.) All bottles are first come, first serve.

Food:
    This year we will have two food options: Arcane Kitchen and Peeps Hotbox.

Live Music:
    2pm // Silverback Colony
    4pm // Astronomique
    6pm // Sean Anonymous

See you out there!

5. Petcha

Trader

That's a great list. Wish I could make it. Very thankful for the FBS perk though!

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  6. dbhammel

dbhammel Initiate (85) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

I've been somewhat less than impressed with WM's stouts in the past but the Molten Lava does certainly sound intriguing. The Fortunella and Reine sound outstanding. Some of their more recent sours have had some nice funk and I hope that trend continues as they start pulling more foeder aged and spontaneous fermented beer from tanks.

7. islay

islay Disciple (333) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

C'mon Wild Mind, did every second anniversary beer need to be propped up on a flavorings crutch? Believe it or not, I'd drink your beer even if it weren't bright magenta. I'm sure at least some of those beers will prove quite tasty, but I'm also sure I'd say the same even if you eschewed the trendy gimmick ingredients. I know for certain this wasn't your vision from two years ago.

KarlHungus likes this.
  8. dbhammel

To be fair, adding fruit to lambic or other sour/mixed fermentation beer isn't exactly a new or strictly trend seeking habit. Traditional Belgian lambic producers have long made fruit lambics. I don't disagree with your point -- a straight forward brett saison or gueuze without fruit would be welcome -- but perhaps those will be part of the regular taplist they indicated would also be available.

9. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Aspirant (275) Oct 27, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

I'm sure they are actually looking at what the demand is from their customers. I wouldn't be surprised if their fruited stuff sells out much faster than a lot of their other stuff.

Also, shhhhhh. I don't want to deal with hoards of people to spend money I don't want to be spending.

Victory_Sabre1973 and Boldbrew like this.
  10. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Aspirant (249) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Speaking of unfruited beer and brett saison- right now they have two Brett Pale ales, a Brett saison, a light rye Kvass, a pils, a dark farmhouse, and a foeder beer all on tap that don't have any fruit or that newfangled haze the kids are always clamoring for. If you look at their tap menu and can't find something you like right now then you should give up at beer, IMO.

Also, it would be pretty tough for a 2 year old brewery to make a gueuze blend, since that would require 3-year old lambic, by definition, but if they don't have one ready by the next anniversary I'll grab my pitchfork and march with you guys.

[​IMG]

11. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Devotee (474) Mar 27, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

I want a case of gueuze to take to my cabin now

12. dbhammel

Total wine has had The Bruery Rueuze Gueuze on stupid clearance prices. You can order online and pick up in store (as I did) but you may have to look at a few different locations to find what you want.

Victory_Sabre1973 and Boldbrew like this.
  13. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (191) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Every location that has it in stock seems to be selling it at $19.99 online. Not sure if it's different when you actually grab it in the store. Other selections by them are listed as $3.99.

14. Petcha

Trader

Anyone go? How are the beers?

15. islay

Sour Fortunella would've been good, perhaps very good, but it was served almost completely flat, and that ruined it for me. I don't think the kumquats quite worked as a lambic fruit (locally grown fruit would make much more sense with something as terroir-oriented as lambic-type beer), but the base beer seemed good enough to overcome that deficiency.

La Reine had an odd, strong, and unexpected black tea-like quality. I had mixed feelings about it, but it was interesting.

Pash Bash was the best of the three I tried, derivative though it was. I'm assuming it's a "slow sour" (to my knowledge Wild Mind doesn't do quick sours), but it functioned like a J. Wakefield-esque Florida Weisse, albeit a much better one than most of that sort we get around here.

I didn't try it, but everyone else in my group was disappointed with Second Round: Molten Lava Cake. Most of my group planned on walking out with two bottles of it and ended up walking out with zero.

An unexpected highlight was that Wild Mind busted out some of its early-days bottles for sale, so there was some very interesting beer available from the glory days before Wild Mind embraced trendiness/fads.

16. Nivek43

Nivek43 Initiate (101) Mar 22, 2012 Minnesota

Which beers were these?

17. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (588) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Oh my lord we get it. I’m starting to wonder if you know how beer should taste.

Setting aside the beers of theirs I know you wouldn’t like, Wild Mind’s beer has improved markedly over time. Their early beer was mediocre. The depth and funk continues to develop, as does their blending ability and balance of flavor in sours (fruited and not).

As for trends, it’s almost like they want to sell a lot of beer so they can keep brewing and aging sours. Weird, right?

18. islay

Let's see, from memory, they had Wind in the Willows, Gardner's Bounty, Dante, and Golden Horizon, all of which I'm guessing did not sell out. They also had Spontane and Bramble Spontane, which are newer, but those sold out quickly. There were several others as well that aren't coming to mind.

19. Powderhornphil

Powderhornphil Defender (636) Apr 30, 2012 Minnesota
    Trader

I went with the intention of possibly getting two Molten Lava Cakes. I bought one and still not sure if it was worth it for the price. I did think the cask version of the Lava Cake with cherry and cinnamon sticks was really good though.

Boldbrew likes this.
  20. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Aspirant (249) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Sour Fortunella was great. The cognac sweetness and delicate kumquat flavor was awesome. It's interesting that someone with such an appreciation for historical styles of beer doesn't realize that many lambics are traditionally served flat or near flat.

La Reine was great too, very fruity and jammy (more intense fruit in this one than Pash Bash, IMO). No odd off flavors to report.

Pash Bash was good but the most acidic of the three, so I only had one glass of that.

The Lava Cake was leaps and bounds better than any stout that WM has released previously (an area they've struggled). It was chocolatey and had decent body, but of course not the super thick body of say a Toppling Goliath BA stout if that's more your style. Just a hint of barrel, but that's to be expected after only aging for 6 months.

I'm not entirely sure if you have devolved into complete satire at this point, but saying that Wild Mind had early 'glory days' is a head-scratcher. And of course, once again, if you had wanted a Pils, straight foeder sour, or some other non-fruited beer, they were pouring their entire regular tap list inside.

burlyb, warmlager, jaysker95 and 6 others like this.
  21. JakeJohnson

Trader

#flatlambicsociety

burlyb and Boldbrew like this.
  22. Petcha

Trader

Forgotten barrel society open for new members if anyone missed it

23. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,199) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

If I lived closer, I'd be all over it.

24. Grave252

Grave252 Initiate (54) Mar 12, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Would love to know how many people signed up again. I believe they only had 175 in year 1. The releases have been great, although there is only 2 months left in the year and they still have half the bottles to go. Hopefully the spacing is a bit better next year.

25. Petcha

Trader

I also wonder if they increased membership for this year. I've been really happy with it and renewed mine. Looking forward to the remaining bottles!

26. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (520) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Isn’t it Wild Mind Artisan Ales? Man they have a hard name.

27. JakeJohnson

Trader

At least he didn’t pluralize “Mind”.

mjryan and jonbonfondle like this.
  28. HipHoppin

HipHoppin Initiate (77) Feb 11, 2015 Minnesota

I was on the wait list... once they found out how many members were not returning, they opened it up the wait list. I had 2 days to decide and it would move down the line. My assumption is they haven't increased but haven't filled all the returning spots. I live close and love to support them. But my buddy did the math, he goes there every Monday to fill his growlers with the discount, even with the bottles priced where they are, he'll never break even.

And I've tried the bottles, and they are damn good. but they are NOT worth that price regardless if you want to support the local scene or not.

Just my 2 cents. Take your money and go stock up with Cuvee de Jacobins!

29. Grave252

Grave252 Initiate (54) Mar 12, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

They had 300 spots in year 1 and only filled the 175. I don't think theyll hit much more than that at $300 a pop. I'm renewing because I think it's only going to get better. Still a relatively young brewery at 2 years, but they get a lot of positive press.

30. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,808) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

I have only had one of their beers (Viking Hammer) that I could give above 4 on BA. Far overrated on the MN scale.

31. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (520) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

I think they should go ahead, and change their name to Wild Minds Artisinal Ales.

JakeJohnson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.