Williamsburg Virginia

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by deadmule, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadmule

deadmule Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2010 Ohio
    Deactivated

This weekend, I’m going to be attending a family wedding at Kigsmill resort in Williamsburg. (Traveling from Ohio) I going to be riding with non beer people but I should be able to stop at one bottle shop and one or two bars while I’m there. Are there any “must see” bottle stores or bars in Williamsburg?
    Thanks for the help.
    Brian

2. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 California

Not really sure as I've only been there once and didn't hit a whole lot but I strong suggest picking up as much of Williamsburg BB Porter as your suit case has room for.

3. Pgarand

Pgarand Devotee (305) Jan 8, 2009 New Hampshire

I recommend hitting Williamsburg Alewerks. They have a great selection of brews there and you can sample them in store.

4. ash111

ash111 Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2009 Virginia

I think the bourbon barrel porter is seasonal, so I would call before going. Still, it's a good brewery and worth the tour/sampling if time allows. There is a newish brewery in Richmond, VA (which you'll definitely pass) called Hardywood Park. It's very close to the interstate and would make an easy stop. Check out their beers to see if they interest you... http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26753

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

No need to call, the brewery has Bourbon Barrel Porter in stock and it should be going through distribution now so you'll likely see it in bottle shops by this weekend. But yeah, if you come anywhere near Hardywood Park check them out for sure.

6. Eriktheipaman

BB Porter was released a few weeks ago so I'd assume it's still floating around down there. Agreed about Hardywood Park as well. I've only had one of their beers but it was pretty awesome.

7. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

no really good bottle shops in Williamsburg. Wine Cellar is just ok.

FYI - Alewerks and Hardywood are breweries, not brewpubs. check their websites for operating hours. (Hardywood is only open for certain hours on Wed-Sat, closed the rest of the week). Hardywood usually throws on a Randall and a firkin on fridays but right now they are kind of in a lean time between a few batches so options may be limited.

8. deadmule

deadmule Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2010 Ohio
    Deactivated

Hardywood looks very interesting, but with their limited hours I doubt I’ll be driving through Richmond while they are open. :slight_frown: I’m definitely going to stop by Williamsburg Alewerks to get some Bourbon Barrel Porter.
    Thanks for all the advice!

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  9. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2011 Virginia

i'f you're cutting through richmond you can probably make a small detour and check out 1 of the 2 total wines in the area. probably be able to find some hardywood stuff. they also carry a couple things from cigar city.

10. ao125

ao125 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 Virginia

We got ours in NoVA last week (or maybe it was the week before not?)

11. defaultroute

defaultroute Crusader (481) Aug 14, 2005 North Carolina

Does anyone know if Williamsburg Alewerks is brewing Bitter Valentine again? That was a damn good DIPA.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

This Feb as far as I know.

13. Eriktheipaman

Looks like Pumpkin Ale will be out within a few weeks :slight_smile: I didn't feel like the White has been out very long though but oh well I guess. I'm more excited for Cafe Royal and Coffeehouse so bring on Dec!

14. ncaudle

the White has been out since early Spring'ish

15. Eriktheipaman

Damn maybe it was late to Nova then. We have only had it hanging around for the last 6 weeks or so.

16. ncaudle

there may have been a gap then another batch... my girlfriend picked up a couple of bottles of it when we went to the brewery for the Bitter Val release(s).

17. Eriktheipaman

Oh wow that was awhile ago. Bitter Valentine was a kick ass beer though. Sorry OP for thread jacking.

18. Head-high

Head-high Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2012 Virginia

I was at Alewerks today and they said "Yes, definitely" to Bitter Valentine again this February.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.