Wilmington, NC for a long weekend. Must stops?

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by TheMonkeyMikeD, Apr 11, 2018.

1. TheMonkeyMikeD

TheMonkeyMikeD Initiate (0) May 19, 2014 Illinois

I'll be in Wilmington in early September and would like to know about any breweries I should make a stop at? I've read that Wilmington Brewing, New Anthem and Waterline are all good spots.

Also, any bottle shops worth checking out would be greatly appreciated. I'll be staying in Carolina Beach, but will be in and around Wilmington most of the weekend.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. cmmatt

cmmatt Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 North Carolina

Wilmington Brewing Company No. 1 stop. New Anthem solid as well. Fermental, Hey Beer, Lighthouse for bottle shops musts.

Waterline, Sour Barn, Broomtail other breweries worth a visit if you have time. Same goes for Palate (bottle shop/bar).

Skip Front Street Brewery.

JdoubleA likes this.
  3. TheMonkeyMikeD

Great feedback! Thanks man.

4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,129) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

What about Bill's? I've had some pretty tasty stuff from them recently. Completely agree on Wilmington + New Anthem for breweries and Hey Beer + Lighthouse for shops (haven't had the chance to check out Fermental yet).

5. KRubes

KRubes Devotee (483) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I went to Bill's Easter weekend and was not impressed at all. Food was decent, but beers were meh. Everything else on the list looks great.

6. aleckpa

aleckpa Zealot (557) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

If you like bourbon, do not skip From Street Brewery! Excellent selection. Otherwise, everything else is spot on.

JdoubleA likes this.
  7. aleckpa

Trader

I know you didn't ask about food, but I might as well throw in my 2 cents. Rise, Wake N Bake Donuts, Flaming Amy's, and Sweet n Savory Cafe to name a few. Enjoy.

8. PaulElk

PaulElk Initiate (108) Dec 30, 2016 New Jersey

Was going to stop at Wilmington brewery a couple of weeks ago on the way to Myrtle Beach to get some Kitten Biscuit but was told they were out of it

9. Subcontrabass

Subcontrabass Initiate (62) Jun 21, 2014 North Carolina

Flaming Amy's is a must.

10. ShabamJenkins

ShabamJenkins Initiate (62) Oct 22, 2015 North Carolina

Every time I head back and visit Wilmington, I try to hit up Wilmington Homebrew and/or New Anthem for beer as well as Flaming Amy's Barn and Chops Deli for food. Was pretty upset that I missed Chops during my last visit.

11. TheMonkeyMikeD

Appreciate the info. I was in Wilmington about 10yrs ago and was introduced to Flaming Amy's so that is for sure on the list!

aleckpa likes this.
  12. JdoubleA

JdoubleA Aspirant (260) Apr 27, 2011 North Carolina

Wilmington Brewing Company is crushing IPAs right about now. Front street makes some solid beers too.

TheMonkeyMikeD likes this.
  13. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (513) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Lived in WB for years. Haven’t been back in 3 years so can’t speak for the new breweries but Lighthouse is a must for a bottle shop. They have a great patio area on the side and serve beer on tap and cans/bottles to drink on site.

Make your way down to Tower 7 after for fish tacos.

Edit: also Sweet N Savory and Causeway Diner for food in the vicinity of Lighthouse. The blue crab omelette at Causeway is amazing.

Not sure if Indochine is still under the same ownership but I used to love that place.

14. seanchai

seanchai Champion (832) May 23, 2009 Virginia
    Society

Fork and Cork for great bar food, Benny's Big Time for very solid pizza and Italian food.. Hey Beer is truly an exceptional bottle shop, for the service and atmosphere as much as the selection. Bombers Bev has good/decent selection but excellent service, very friendly.

dogleg_left likes this.
  15. LKAZZI

LKAZZI Initiate (28) Aug 31, 2014 Connecticut

The Copper Penny was cool and tasty and worth a stop. They were just on diners, drive ins, and dives. They had WBC pale ale on and it was very good.

16. ocl1536

ocl1536 Initiate (102) Jul 29, 2013 North Carolina

Agree with everything noted above, but if you're going to be downtown to hit New Anthem, I would highly recommend stopping by Flytrap as well. They have some great belgian styles and sours. You won't find any hazy IPAs, but WBC and New anthem have you covered on that front. Flying Machine should also be open by the time you are down here and they are building a 17,000 sq ft space and the guys opening the place up are great. It will be located about 1/2 mile from Wilmington Brewing Company. The brewer used to be at Edmunds Oast in Charleston and they just hired a QA guy from Stone. https://www.facebook.com/flyingmachinebrewing/

Macsimus likes this.
  17. gothedistance

gothedistance Initiate (168) Jul 23, 2009 South Carolina

I was in Carolina beach last weekend and wanted to visit a local brewery and we went here: https://www.goodhopsbrewing.com/
    We had a really nice time, brews were solid, we played some cornhole and some of their other fun games. There's also a free 9 hole disc golf course if you're into that.
    Oh--- and we went here too: https://www.oceangrilltiki.com/
    They had some fun craft cans that I hadn't had before and you can't beat the view.
    For my trip I was only in Carolina Beach though. Did not get into Wilmington. Cheers

Budlum likes this.
  18. OGShotzy

OGShotzy Zealot (569) Oct 5, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

I just got back from a weekend in Wilmington. I must say I was pretty impressed with New Anthem and Wilmington Brewing. Really enjoyed Hand Me Down Pumas from NA and Kitten Biscuit and BBA Blair's Breakfast Stout from Wilmington. Also tried a pilsner from Wrightsville Beach Brewing—woof, worst craft beer I have had in a while.

Dtrain22 likes this.
  19. SCbrewpubfan

SCbrewpubfan Initiate (157) May 27, 2010 South Carolina

I'll be passing through Wilmington on June 23rd, and I noticed New Anthem is having a release that day. Should I be able to easily stop by and grab cans without having to wait in line or worry about cans running out? Do normal business hours apply for releases? I also noticed New Anthem is releasing Hammer of God that Thursday. Anyone know anything about this beer? Thanks for the help.

20. Subcontrabass

Hammer of God on Untappd.

21. dogleg_left

dogleg_left Disciple (348) May 12, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

You can still get cans without a wait. Proceeds from the Hammer of God sales goes to a good cause so there may be a line at open.

22. OGShotzy

OGShotzy Zealot (569) Oct 5, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

I would think it’s pretty easy because they had numerous cans available when I walked in on a Friday night last weekend. I would call them to ask about the hours.

23. pp7z

pp7z Initiate (17) Jan 1, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

going to bump this thread...going down for a family wedding tomorrow...will be staying at embassy suites. What are some must see bars/breweries/restaurants? New Anthem and Flytrap look like locks.

24. fadgen

fadgen Initiate (105) May 5, 2005 California

New anthem is my favorite beer in nc. Cape fear beer and wine has a good selection and a cool punk vibe (with a nice view off the back). I do like flytrap. I’ve never been to beer bario//flying machine, but I’ve heard good things. There are tons of other places that are ok downtown, but to me those are standout.

pp7z likes this.
  25. KRubes

Society Trader

Grab lunch at Copper Penny. Walkable to/from New Anthem.

TomDRaleigh likes this.
  26. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (180) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Hey Beer is a must stop - bottle shop with a great tap list. Also located very near Wilmington Brewery

27. aleckpa

Trader

Recently went back this week. Copper Penny, Slice of Life, and Fork n Cork for food.

28. mbizup

mbizup Initiate (39) Jun 26, 2015 New Jersey

Thanks for all the info here. Took a day trip up to Wilmington from North Myrtle Beach. Hit up Wilmington Brewing Company, Hey Beer, then Flaming Amy's. Then headed downtown and went to New Anthem. Great beer at all 3 spots (had a pint at Hey Beer) and the Chips n Salsa and Burrito at Flaming Amy's was awesome.

dbrauneis likes this.
  29. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (130) Dec 25, 2015 New York

30. TomCat11

TomCat11 Devotee (469) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Hey all. Going to be making my first trip to Wrightsville Beach next month for a week. From reading above it seems like New Anthem, Flytrap and Wilmington Brewing are the most mentioned breweries. Hey Beer and Lighthouse the shops to stop at. Any thoughts on some other places near where I'll be?
    - Waterman's Brewing
    - Mad Mole
    - Wrightsville Beach Brewing
    - Broomtail
    - Bill's Front Porch
    - Flying Machine
    - Fermental

I also understand there is no alcohol allowed on the beach. Is this something that is strictly enforced or could I bring a couple in a cooler with me to drink as long as it's in a cup / koozie and not acting like an idiot everything will be good.

Thanks in advance!

31. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,129) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Bill's Front Porch has definitely put out some quality NEIPAs and Broomtail beers have been good (only had a couple of sample pours after a friend visited).

TomCat11 likes this.
  32. KRubes

Society Trader

Skip Wrightsville Beach Brewing. New Anthem and Wilmington are my go-tos in the area. I had a bad first experience at Bill's, but their brews seem to be getting better.

You should be fine with beer in a cup. Just be smart about it.

TomCat11 likes this.
  33. Subcontrabass

I second Bill’s. Haven’t been to their taproom, but I’ve had a couple of good brews from them that made it inland.

TomCat11 likes this.
  34. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (130) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Madmole has a great Belgium Dubbel if they still make it.Nice little Brewery.

TomCat11 likes this.
  35. ocl1536

ocl1536 Initiate (102) Jul 29, 2013 North Carolina

Mad Mole is a cool little spot which is pretty close to the beach and the beers continue to improve. Would definitely recommend going to Flying Machine, especially if you're going to venture over to Wilmington Brewing Company and Hey Beer. Its an impressive space and they have a nice variety of styles so you'll be able to find something you'll enjoy. Waterman's has good food but the beer is lacking.

The cops won't bother you on the beach as long as you are being discreet. I usually just bring a yeti cup and fill that up with a beer from the cooler- as long as you don't leave any cans/bottles out that they can see, you'll be fine.

Since you'll be here for a week, if you can spend some time downtown, going to Satellite for a beer or two and eating either at the taco stand they have attached to the bar (Block Taco) or Benny's Big Time across the street for awesome pizza is an excellent use of your time.

TomCat11 likes this.
  36. TomCat11

TomCat11 Devotee (469) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Thanks for the recommendation everyone. Keep them coming! I'm learning there's definitely no shortage of breweries in the area. A lot of research! We're staying right on the ocean in Wrightsville Beach but will probably sneak away a couple afternoons outside the immediate area to check things out. Definitely will hit the most notable and popular places (New Anthem, Wilmington Brewing, etc) but also like to try places not many people talk (or know) about to see if there's any hidden gems.

Cheers and thanks again. Looking forward to the trip!

37. KRubes

Society Trader

I'd also say swing by Lighthouse Beer & Wine for provisions. You'll drive right by it on your way in.

Subcontrabass and TomCat11 like this.