Wiring tower cooler to fridge

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Jbean8510, May 20, 2020 at 5:38 AM.

1. Jbean8510

Jbean8510 Initiate (0) Wednesday

I got a coldtower tower cooler and an edge star kegerator. I just installed the tower cooler to help with foam from my first beer. However. It comes with a switch on the cord you have to turn on and off. Therefore my first beer is still a little too foamy. Has anyone tried wiring these into the fridge? So that when the fridge kicks on it does too? I Don’t think it would be that hard to find the wire that carries the power after it kicks on, but I’ve never tried it. Surely someone has thought of a solution.

2. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (335) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

You want the tower cooler to run all the time. Turning it on when you want a beer is not going to do anything for you, and neither will having it run just when the fridge does.

Redrover, PortLargo and billandsuz like this.
  3. Jbean8510

Jbean8510 Initiate (0) Wednesday

Seems crazy inefficient but I’ll give it a go

4. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (335) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

So does pouring a glass or two of foam every time you want a beer. Nobody said a kegerator was going to be inexpensive.

billandsuz likes this.
  5. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (435) Sep 1, 2004 New York

The concept is that cold air will not find it's way into the tower. The fan circulates the cold air into the tower and chills the ounce or so of beer that is not refrigerated.
    CO2 will break out of warm beer and you will pour foam until the cold keg beer gets to the faucet.

It's just a cold air circulation device. Maybe 5 watts.
    Cheers

DougC123 likes this.
  6. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Disciple (339) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

How much of a factor is the metal heat sink we call a faucet? Won't the beer continue to foam until it's done chilling the faucet?

7. IceAce

IceAce Savant (921) Jan 8, 2004 California

Turn the switch on and forget about it.

High end keg boxes like Bevair and True have tower coolers that run 24/7...and that’s the way they are designed.

Gotta keep the beer line in the tower cool for everything to work as efficiently as possible.

8. billandsuz

Truth is the faucet will always be too warm. But there is so little beer that it is not a big deal to try and keep it cold. The shank too. Can't get those 2 things cold enough with a fan and tube, but it helps to get as close to 38 as possible.

Glycol systems circulate 28F antifreeze through a small aluminum bock that is directly attached to the shank where it meets the tower, and even then the faucet will get down to the low 50s but not 38F.
    Cheers

PortLargo likes this.
  9. mikehartigan

10. billandsuz

The Ice Tower?

Nothing nice can be said of that contraption. It's an installers nightmare. If you want a perpetually melting ice cube on your bar top then that is your solution. WTF?
    Great for the bar that is interested in serving D-Bag Fucktards stupid cold pints of swill on game day.
    Personally I don't like fucktards or ice cold swill and run from any of these sort of clients. Far.

The "Cobra" style font aka the Mongoose (industry is basically copying each other) is really quite a nice tower however. Just not as an ice tower. God I can't believe that damn thing exists. Thanks for bringing it up Mike.
    Cheers

matthewp and DougC123 like this.
  11. mikehartigan

I'm sensing you're not a big fan.
    All I said was that's it's sexy. I meant that in a centerfold kind of way. Nice to look at, but once the novelty wears off, ...

I frequented a local branch of a brewpub chain a few years ago that used these. The brewer kept them merely sweaty.