Wit beer Fermenting with orange peel

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Tswanton, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Tswanton

Tswanton Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2018

I nearly completed my all grain wit beer yesterday. By nearly I'm saying that I missed a step. During the boil I was to add the orange peel for the last ten minutes or so. This did not happen. The beer is now at day one in the primary fermenter. Can I add the orange peel to this? If so what day is best?

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,335) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I think that should work but I'd wait until after fermentation is complete as there could be bacteria/wild yeast on the orange peel. Another option would be to use fresh orange zest after sanitizing the skin. Or a flavoring agent. OR, just skip it unless you feel the taste is off without it. You've got a lot of options, add whatever you think might work.

hopsputin likes this.
  3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Fresh zest after fermentation works well.

4. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (270) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

Adding it to the boil and adding it after fermentation give you kind of different results. If you're adding it after fermentation it doesn't take a whole lot of zest.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,712) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

What type of orange peel? The traditional dried curacao (bitter) orange peel?

Cheers!

6. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (869) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

You could also use this. A little goes a long way, however.

[​IMG]

7. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,755) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Or he could try making his own with some zest and vodka

donspublic and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  8. Bryan12345

Bryan12345 Devotee (494) Mar 17, 2016 Texas

I always add orange peel to my witbier during secondary fermentation anyway. FWIW :slight_smile:

pweis909 likes this.
  9. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,469) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'm curious. Do you have a rule of thumb like X amount of peel added to secondary for Y days is equivalent to Z amount of peel added to the boil at time T?

SFACRKnight likes this.
  10. Bryan12345

Bryan12345 Devotee (494) Mar 17, 2016 Texas

Negative. The first recipe I tried was 3 gal, and added the peel of 1 orange (and 1 lemon) to the secondary for 7 days. It came out fantastic, so I’ve never seen a reason to mess with it. FWIW :slight_smile:

VikeMan likes this.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Sounds like a job for Brewcipher IJS.