Wolf's Ridge Brewing and Releases

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Brown120, May 11, 2016.

1. tepie

tepie Initiate (161) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Nice review by the erie better beer guys:

Spider889 likes this.
  2. MajorBuckeye

MajorBuckeye Aspirant (289) Jan 8, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Yub Nub & Clear Sky Lemon Meringue bottle release on 3/25!

3. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,105) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Spider889 and JohnnyMc like this.
  4. Treebute

Treebute Initiate (138) Jul 13, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Also any plans for St. Pattys? I know one year we had a couple special variants of unique beers.

5. Spider889

Spider889 Savant (978) Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Industry Beer Trader

No plans for Earthrise 6ers atm, that would require more tanks to afford the necessary volume that would eat up. We definitely plan to keep bombers a semi regular thing though.

No beer plans for St. Party's but the taproom will open at noon. The kitchen *might do a Reuben or something for lunch, not positive as I'm out of town this week. We do however have 5 Pi Day beers on still if you didn't already check them out on the 14th...

Coconut Cream Pie
    Key Lime
    Lemon Meringue
    Pi
    #davedoesntknow (coffee pi)

6. cbusnoles

cbusnoles Initiate (165) May 23, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

@Spider889 Assuming but want to make sure...NCAA hoops on the TVs in the taproom today????

7. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (139) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Any plans of putting Yub into a barrel?

8. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

I'm hoping we might bottle some next year. Might depend how the response in Saturday is. Kinda really want to do barrel aged Coffee Joy in bottles sometime after the last release too.

@cbusnoles sorry I was out of town last week. Hope you had a good saturday wherever you found yourself!

9. PJ_

PJ_ Aspirant (252) Nov 13, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Rum Barrel Coco Joy. Please.

10. BuckeyeBeerhead

BuckeyeBeerhead Aspirant (213) Jun 18, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

A release with both of these would be so clutch. Make it happen!

MajorBuckeye likes this.
  11. MajorBuckeye

Beer Trader

Wild Heritage Series
    "While still in the process of fermenting/conditioning, we've gone ahead and committed to releasing the first beer during Columbus Beer Week on Thursday May, 18th. The goal will be to bottle most, and have some draft to sell in-house. The first beer, anticipated to be ready, will be a farmhouse saison.
    [​IMG]
    Brewed with 45% wheat, 13% rye, rose hips, and coriander, fermented and aged in oak barrels with a mixture of yeast strains, including Brettanomyces and lactobacillus bacteria, It will be tart and funky. I plan to call it Terre du Sauvage, which translates to 'Wild Earth' or 'Land of the Wild'." - Chris Davison, Head Brewer.

BuckeyeBeerhead, JohnnyMc and Sabtos like this.
  12. tepie

tepie Initiate (161) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Are yub nub bottles still available? I see it's on the website tap list, but wanted to check on bottles.

13. CbusBrews13

CbusBrews13 Initiate (108) Apr 6, 2017 Ohio

It did hit distro, grabbed a bottle at Corner Stone today

tepie likes this.
  14. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

There was maybe a case or so left in the taproom today, and yeah some hit distro this week so you might find it around town.

tepie likes this.
  15. MajorBuckeye

Beer Trader

16. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

Super excited for this personally. I was making notes for beer names last year at GABF... been waiting a while for this day to come. :wink:

Awesome list of 7 beers I've never done before.
    "I Love the Core" - Pineapple Howling Moon
    "Nostromo" - Watchtower with Early Grey Tea and Lemon
    "U.S.S. Sulaco" - Sustinator with pecan wood and toasted pecans
    "Prometheus" - Dire Wolf with toasted nuts
    "Game Over Man!" - Habanero Lime Earthrise
    Cask: "Mostly..." - Coconut Night Method
    Cask: "Hadley’s Hope" - Strawberry Coffee L’Abondance

17. BuckeyeBeerhead

Beer Trader

Very excited to try all of these. See you Wednesday!

Spider889 and MajorBuckeye like this.
  18. BuckeyeBeerhead

Beer Trader

This was posted by WRB today on their facebook page.

http://www.wolfsridgebrewing.com/wrb-loyalty-club

I was really excited that they were finally looking into doing a membership club of sorts until I actually read the details. I'm in a local Columbus beer group on facebook that has been discussing it this morning and I've found that I'm not alone. Unfortunately, the perks just aren't as applicable for me. I do buy my fair share of pours, but often find myself going for flights since Chris puts out way too many good things that I want to try. Trying to put them all down in full pour form simply to save $1 would be cost prohibitive in the grand scheme of things, let alone a path to getting effed up! I rarely ever buy merch or growlers from anywhere, and especially not enough to make that perk worthwhile enough for me. I do love the idea of the quarterly parties that will feature special beers or infusions, but again, I would opt for flights so the $1 off of full pours would be wasted.

I was really hoping there would be more of an incentive towards the bottle releases. Like, group members are guaranteed x amount of bottles (maybe a pickup window for people that can't make every event), early entry to the release events....basically something like a built in Early Bird thing like they've been doing. That was a great idea and one that could be built upon for this. One guy sent them something on Twitter alluding to the benefits not meeting the cost and received a very receptive response to send any suggestions their way. I would love it if consideration is given and this could be morphed into a truly worthwhile club for what I hold as my favorite Columbus brewery considerably above all of the rest.

UcDru and frenchblood21 like this.
  19. MajorBuckeye

Beer Trader

If Wolf's Ridge is open to suggestions, then add my voice to the "guaranteed allotment at bottle release events" chorus.

A big reason I joined (and renewed my membership in) the Triple Digit - League of Extraordinary Chickows! is because I don't have to drive to Cincinnati for every release. League membership includes at least one bottle quarterly, and the right to purchase additional bottles that can be picked up at a later date.

It's a little different scenario there, since the quarterly Chickows! are allocated solely for League members...but an ability to purchase a "guaranteed allotment" perk would generate more interest from me if Wolf's Ridge were able to incorporate that.

20. UcDru

UcDru Devotee (495) Aug 15, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Also in the camp for included bottles. The $125 seems steep especially since every "perk" requires more $ to be spent on top of $125 invested. ($1-2 off drafts, growler/bottle discounts (raffle perk), raffle for early bird tickets to buy bottles, the invited to parties with $1 off drafts. Essentially the $125 gets you discounts on a variety of future purchases a t-shirt and complimentary hors d’oeuvres at potentially exclusive parties.

I am all for pre-paying for an allotment of member society bottles for a year but not sure I would feel like I get my $125 worth in the proposed scenario.

21. CbusBrews13

I was a little surprised there was no real bottle release incentive.

I would be all for either an early entry to bottle releases or a "pickup window" where you can just drop in and grab your bottles without having to go through the process of lining up and waiting for bottles. That alone would be worth the price of the membership.

UcDru and frenchblood21 like this.
  22. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (37) May 1, 2017 Ohio

Maybe if they released some limited infusion beers or maybe a kettle sour series and put them in 16oz pounder cans and had them available at bottle releases but only to members that could be interesting. Or maybe sell them at the quarterly parties. 1 4 pack per person and you'd only need 400 cans. :grinning:

23. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

I will begin by saying that I had little input in the planning of this club. My idea of a modern beer club is closer to what is being described and I honestly said no to that prospect right now.

Our brewery is too small to deal with the logistics of saving allotments and also too small imo to be excluding regulars not in the club from access to public events and bottles. Long term I am very open to the possibility, but for now I am trying to learn from others who have had undue amounts of stress and fallout over a club that got out of control.

What this club being offered currently IS, is one modeled after a mug club, not a rare bottle club. I was a strong proponent of discounted beer vs a larger pour, as to me it added value while not encouraging over-serving as much.

We are discussing amending the benefits to include flights and allow a larger number of members into early bird situations. But keep in mind this was meant to benefit taproom and restaurant regulars, not necessarily bottle release regulars. No offense, but many who attend releases are not sitting at the bar often during the 10 weeks between large releases.

So, to lay the initial proposal out, there's 4 parties that are allowing roughly $18 in food per person at each party that will not be open to the public, regular draft discounts, a shirt, etc. It adds up, but mostly if you frequent the bar.

Like I said, I understand wanting reserved bottles and early entry and next year they have plans to roll out a tierd club that offers some of that to the higher tiers.

I will also state to this group that it was always my intention to offer exclusive bottles or other things to the club members. It will happen. But I do not want to be chained to deadlines, beers that might not work out, or long term storage of product. We simply don't have the room or capacity to be safely making those claims.

So take that for what you will. I won't guarantee any specific beers or quantities or times right now, but periodically members will be given exclusive access to things under my watch. I'd rather it be spontaneous and limited vs broad and planned out.

I will do my best from the brewery end to make this worthwhile, but for year one, it will likely ultimately still rely on the mug club base model and the parties for the main value. So take that as you may. I completely understand what some of you are looking for and we'll be revising a few things and I will secretly be planning offerings that only members can access. I hope we don't disappoint for any who opt in this year.

Nate, scubastza, owen49 and 10 others like this.
  24. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (2,858) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I need to move to Cbus.

25. CannedWaggoneer

I'm glad you are aiming to benefit the people who hit the bar regularly over the people who just show up on bottle releases. Loyalty should be earned, not bought.

26. BuckeyeBeerhead

Beer Trader

Really appreciate that response, Chris. Never had a doubt in my mind that you would try to be a proponent for the more crazed beer fans. I'm definitely encouraged by the several updates that have already been made. The concern of allotting beer to group members with limited capacity to house the bottles and the sensitive nature of implementing such a program makes perfect sense given WRB's current setup. One thing I do think that could be a great consideration would be somehow allowing a perk of early opportunities to buy early bird tickets for releases. The brewery would still receive the same money from a patron buying a ticket, but the club members would feel the benefit and the general public would not be prohibited from bottles any less than normal. Even if the perk was limited in nature, it would be an awesome addition. For example, prior to posting general public early bird tickets, maybe 25-50 could be put on eventbrite or whatever and only people given a code can purchase them at the given time. Anyone that buys one that isn't a club member (because some asshole will inevitably give the code out) would have their ticket voided.

Just throwing some ideas out there. It really is cool to see that there's a bigger vision and the brewery is so open to feedback.

I was curious about the mention of a possible higher tiered program in future years. My biggest fear would be those tiers being limited to initial adopters of the club and those of us that are more interested in that style of club being shut out. If that would be the plan, I'd obviously have to consider buying in this year as a means of setting myself up for the type of program I ultimately want. I know it's really early in the process, but would you be able to speak to that @Spider889?

CbusBrews13 likes this.
  27. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

Definitely still considering other options as far as I know. I think an update will be posted in a day or two.

As far as tiered availability goes, yes it would be offered to current members first but be limited by a number of our choosing vs only for previous members. Not all would be willing or interested in paying more I am sure. I also think we aimed conservatively at 100 this year to keep things in check as we get a system in place and functional. For instance, 100 is max capacity in the taproom and we have to train all the staff on new procedures this year.

Next year I foresee opening up more. We will have a separate event space by then and also the option to do multiple sessions for parties and whatnot to extend membership to more people or tiers.

BuckeyeBeerhead likes this.
  28. Keffa

Keffa Defender (634) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

And this is why Chris is one of my favorite brewers. Dude, keep killing it. I'll keep buying whenever I'm in town.

29. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

Some updates...

Loyalty Club membership is about full, maybe 10 short of selling out. I only really mention in case anyone assumed it sold out day one.

As promised, I have some fun benefits for the first members party on 6/24:
    Early access to buy a bottle of Red Legacy, our 16 month oak aged Flanders Red Ale. Super happy with this one.

I will also have several never before bottled brands for sale in super limited quantities, like 25 each, and each member can select to purchase one with a chance at a second it any remain after one round.

Draft list will be fun too as if that were in question.

The official Red Legacy bottle release date will be 7/1 and run like normal. Members can purchase extra beyond the bottle from 6/24 if inclined. Also debuting bottles of Night Method Espresso Milk Stout that day.

Soon we will be tapping a new beer:
    All the Breakfast, an Imperial Cream Ale brewed with the kitchen sink on Sunday morning: cacao, cinnamon, lactose, oats, corn, vanilla, orange peel, coconut, and coffee. It's fucking amazing. Might wind up bottled some day after tasting it...

More Terre du Sauvage batches on the way as well as a traditional stainless mixed culture Gose (not kettle sour) planned in a month or two.

Oh, and Feuer und Wasser taps in roughly 2 weeks. I'm a minority but it's my favorite beer I've ever brewed at WRB.

Cheers!

30. CannedWaggoneer

Team Wasser reporting for duty, sir.

Also, to clarify, All the Breffus, is that just being thrown on tap on a regular day or is that starting at the bottle release?

Spider889 likes this.
  31. CbusBrews13

Holy crap All the Breakfast sounds amazing

32. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

Probably a regular day simply because it will hit kegs this Friday. So I might throw it on next week. We're finally caught up on killing most of the 40+ kegs we made special for beer week.

33. WesMantooth

Beer Trader

@Spider889 Any chance of a strawberry infused Clear Sky on your radar?

34. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

Haha maybe a cask at the bottle release. No plans for significant fruiting of an entire batch right now though. Sounds good though. :wink:

35. Mshull

Mshull Devotee (414) Mar 26, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Recently had a clear sky daybreak that was bottled in February that tasted great but has minimal coffee taste. Then had a bottle dated 10/16 and it was loaded with coffee. Do you guys use a different coffee for each batch?

36. MajorBuckeye

Beer Trader

What, no bacon?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Can't wait to try it!

37. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

Not every batch but often the coffee changes based on what's available at One Line Coffee. They typically have a given bean for one to four months. Any time we change coffees we have to dial in the desired result which is obvious coffee but not overly intense. Sometimes the roast is too light to replicate our goal, sometimes it's too dark. But origin is even more important, as the base flavors of each coffee can range from delicate gardenia or lemon cake to ripe fruit to wine to caramel or chocolate fudge.

I used to use a single origin and style of bean but now blend to help manage the desired outcome. Nevertheless, we still see batch variation from time to time.

Hopefully the beer was still enjoyable, but if you're ever not satisfied please lmk and we'd be happy to exchange for a different batch!

38. Mshull

Mshull Devotee (414) Mar 26, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Both batches were very satisfying, just different coffee intensity

Spider889 and CannedWaggoneer like this.
  39. WesMantooth

Beer Trader

@Spider889 The Terre Sauvage mentions "a blend of various oak barrels". Were any of them used wine barrels? I assumed not since it didn't specifically mention so, but I notice a distinct rose/blush wine aroma and flavor. Excellent beer by the way. A little bit of rye and a lot of wheat with a nice subtle tartness

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.