World Wide Stout

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Donco, Jan 29, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donco

Donco Pooh-Bah (1,615) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I decided to treat myself to a bottle of a 2009 World Wide Stout which I will drink on Super Bowl Sunday. My question out to all is: Have any of you had one of these with 4 years age on it? I'm hoping it's amazing:stuck_out_tongue:

HRamz3 likes this.
  2. jaltland

jaltland Pundit (828) Aug 13, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Have a 2011 but not drinking it for another couple years. Wish I could help you with that. Cheers!

Donco likes this.
  3. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (1,012) Nov 16, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I drank a 2008 bottle for New Year's Eve. I thought it was great! Found it unique... and still boozy, lol.

Donco likes this.
  4. BH712

BH712 Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2014 District of Columbia

It is beyond me how anyone could have the self-restraint to cellar a great beer. I would cave after a week.

5. jageraholic

jageraholic Maven (1,378) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Had a 2009 in the fall of last year. tasted fantastic. very smooth, a lot of dark fruit, very viscous and minimal alcohol heat. Enjoy!

HRamz3 likes this.
  6. Donco

Pooh-Bah Society

Yes I will...a Super Sunday Slow Sipper:wink:

7. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2005 Oregon
    Deactivated

8. gasanesthesia

gasanesthesia Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2012 Georgia

You will enjoy it for sure. -but you would also enjoy this years version. I've "cellared" a number of beers for whom folks say this is a great thing for them. Bells Expedition Stout, Founders RIS, Abyss etc. To me, it's not worth it. The difference is so small, it leaves you wondering if the batches are just a bit different. And of course they are. After all, can the malt or the hops BE the same every harvest?? No, I'm done "cellaring" just to age a beer. I buy. I drink at my leisure and I don't think I am missing ANYthing!

Chris

Donco likes this.
  9. patm1986

patm1986 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2010 New Jersey

in my experiences, it's one of the best beers to age. the 4-6 year range is beautiful, particularly 5.

10. jeastman

jeastman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2013 New Hampshire

Process #1

Step # 1 Take the amount you want to buy... I'm talking the most you are willing to get of that one beer
    Step # 2 Buy even more.
    Step # 3 Buy many more beers and place one or two in your cellar
    Step #4 Forget they are there while drinking all of the other beers you bought either from self alchahol induced amnesia or with the understanding it will be much better later.

Process # 2

Find a trade where someone did steps #1-4 and drink as soon as it arrives.

SeanBond likes this.
  11. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 Canada (BC)

It's beyond me why anyone would cellar a not-great beer...

To the subject though: 4 years sounds perfect for this beer.

HRamz3 likes this.
  12. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

A beer as big as WWS will definitely improve with age. Much more so than a 10% ABV stout. Though 4 years is probably the minimum I would go, thinks will get even more interesting in the next 4.

13. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Nice. That's what I'd expect.

14. Donco

Pooh-Bah Society

Quite amazing how different opinions abound on beers. One hates the 2009..another raves. I guess I'll just have to judge myself. Right now I'm enjoying my second-to-last KBS which I haven't had in about 10 months. No debate on this one: OUTSTANDING!!

15. Donco

Pooh-Bah Society

Agree! Personally, I have no problem with self control on cellaring....except the 2-4 packs I just bought of BCBS:wink:

16. Donco

Pooh-Bah Society

Except I'm NOT waiting another 4 years...not at the price I just paid!:grimacing:

17. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 Canada (BC)

The way to keep from drinking your cellar beers is to have ready to drink beers on hand at all times. Then it's effortless.

jeastman likes this.
  18. jeastman

jeastman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2013 New Hampshire

My only problem with it is this beer tastes like they brewed it entirely with Cara 120 malt and sugar to feed the yeast enough to get the ABV that high. Impressive feat to have that abv taste that good but I have a long list of things I would rather drink ahead of it. DFH makes many A++ beers and many like this I could cellar for a looooong time and not feel to bad.
    Hah it is sooooo much better in 4 years though.

19. jageraholic

jageraholic Maven (1,378) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Luckily i didnt have to age my 2009 found last year. It was on the shelf.

20. Donco

Pooh-Bah Society

Mine too...bought it today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.