worst brewday yet

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by TheWorstBrewerEver, Oct 13, 2018.

  1. TheWorstBrewerEver

    TheWorstBrewerEver Initiate (40) Aug 10, 2016 Norway

    This is a venting and confession exercise.

    yesterday I started a brewday by purchasing grain for 2 batches. one full size version of the averagely perfect IPA, and a smaller beer with the same grain to test the hops that I helped myself to from my neighbours hop plant growing onto my porch. this should have given me a lot of good beer, and one interesting beer at least. until i decided to drink beer while brewing and also bingewatching game of thones.

    i decided to start late and make the small batch late last night. Since I was weighing the water additions anyway, I thought I may as well make it for both batches. So i heated a large amount of water a little, but did not bother to measure temperature. I also decided to not dirty my mash tun with the small batch. instead i used a 1.5 gallon pot. things go badly for me from now on:

    1. i realised that the water was a little cold and that I should heat it. my grain was in a nylon bag and i have an inductor top. the bag meltes i 5 seconds.
    2. having rescued the grain i decide it is time to boil. i was shooting for 3.5 gallons of the small batch and nowhere to put the other water. this is of course precious tap water with a little salt in it, so i thought I'd better make sure not to waste it. I had just read the brulosophy article on overnight mashing and thought i may as well test it. So I mash in with room temperature water thinking longer time will make up for any reduced activity for the enzymatic reactions. I'll get back to this...
    3. After boiling for appoimately 1 GOT episode (S7e2), i transfer the wort to a fermenter. not wanting to clean my immersion cooler I decided to cool it in my refrigerator over night. I placed the plastic bucket with newly boiled wort on the glass plate in the refrigerator, and watched another episode. thw glass had of course broken, but thankfully the bucket had not fallen and spilled.
    4. next day i remember to take a gravity reading, and the combined bad practices netted me a whopping 1.018 gravity. yay
    5. the overnight mashing went sour of course and smells like butter, bananas and strawberries. probably

    a great learning experience
  2. Mothergoose03

    Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,258) May 30, 2005 Michigan

    Double BUMMER!! All kinds of learning experiences there.
  3. Prep8611

    Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

    Wow. You took almost every step to make yourself fail. Impressive.
  4. TheWorstBrewerEver

    TheWorstBrewerEver Initiate (40) Aug 10, 2016 Norway

    almost? I would like to think I took every step sir
  5. GreenKrusty101

    GreenKrusty101 Crusader (730) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

    These were your major malfunctions...and Season 7, Episode 2 featured 3 eunuchs...what were you thinking? :grimacing:
    TheWorstBrewerEver and Prep8611 like this.
  6. TheWorstBrewerEver

    TheWorstBrewerEver Initiate (40) Aug 10, 2016 Norway

    i guess the lack of thinking was a bit of a hallmark for that night...
    GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  7. SFACRKnight

    SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

    I don't drink when I brew. Hubris in a can. Followed by fuck it in a can.
    IKR, MrOH and TheWorstBrewerEver like this.
  8. gvickery

    gvickery Aspirant (266) May 13, 2017 Texas

    My worst batch was also on a day I decided to drink, (a lot). I'm just glad I'm not the only one to do it. Cheers
  9. telejunkie

    telejunkie Aspirant (238) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

    Had a not great brewday last night...but from me over complicating things. Went from a plan to brew a robust porter...extract with steeping grains...so take me an hour and a half at most. To finding a sack of GNOs in my specialty grain bin...and flaked oats...so then decided to make it a oatmeal porter/stout-y thing, then found I had only 2 lbs. of Maris Otter left so ended up doing a partial mash, but then the partial mash was too big to fit in my kitchen stock pot...so then ended up moving operations out to garage and using my 5 gal igloo cooler. I then ended using and cleaning the plate chiller and pump in the end. Anyway, turned my 1.5 hour brew night into 4.5 hours...may as well have just done an all-grain batch at that point. And it was pounding snow/sleet/graupel crap while I was cleaning the brewpot in the end. I just couldn't leave well enough alone...:rolling_eyes:

    Anyway, portery-stout was tasting great in the end and landed exactly where I wanted it to be in terms of starting gravity, so really can't complain...
  10. SFACRKnight

    SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

    It's funny how a brew day can turn into a grind, and in the end after all the crap if you hit your numbers its suddenly all worth it.
    telejunkie and Mothergoose03 like this.
  11. Prep8611

    Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

    Yep definitely better than having a smooth day and missing your OG by a mile.
    telejunkie and SFACRKnight like this.