Wyeast French Saison 3711 no activity

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by banjomike1986, Mar 18, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banjomike1986

banjomike1986 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2020

Hello,

New to the site, just brewed my 4th beer. First two were extracts, this and last all grain with a Mash & Boil.

Everything went well, despite maybe missing some effeminacy numbers but all in all got 5 gal and hit my numbers. First time using this yeast and didn't realize to let it swell up, I just popped the nutrient pack and pitched it in. That was at 6pm last night, looked this morning and no activity. Just wanna know if I should be worried/what to look for, and or how to cure it if so. The other brews I made used either US-05 or English Ale yeast that acted really quick.

Info:
    Fg after boil 1.060
    pitched at 70deg.
    Wyeast mfg date Nov. 2019

Thank y'all Stay Safe out there!

Cheers!

2. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

By no activity do you mean no airlock bubbles or no sign of krausen forming or no motion in the carboy? My experience with 3711 is that it's somewhat ninja like- not an explosive fermentation, but it will annihilate all sugars/starches in the wort.

I'd check again tomorrow morning, everything should be going by then.

banjomike1986 likes this.
  3. the_owl

the_owl Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2019 New Mexico

Gravity reading wont lie

dmtaylor and banjomike1986 like this.
  4. banjomike1986

Just didn't know if I should be worried it at 66, and not in the 70 area. Looked liked a lot of people expressed this yeast at a higher fermentation temp.

5. MrOH

Pooh-Bah Society

Nah, I tend to like it better at cooler (for a saison) temperatures. It'll get the job done.

6. Eggman20

Eggman20 Devotee (399) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Did you do a starter? This is some pretty old yeast that is likely only about 20% viable so it's not surprising that you're getting a lag phase. Letting the pack expand would have helped to see just how viable the yeast is. It'll likely still get going you'll just end up with some more esters so like said above wait a few days and see what the gravity tells you.

JrGtr likes this.
  7. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Liquid yeast will take time to show activity. The yeast needs to uptake oxygen.
    Dry yeast is packaged after the oxygen uptake phase and it will begin fermentation much quicker. This is why you should not make a starter with dry yeast btw; just add more packages.

The nutrient pack does not do all that much except proof your yeast. If the package swells then you know there are active yeast.

Saison yeast is notoriously unreliable, the Belgian in particular is flaky. Expect the yeast to go on strike for no good reason.

If nothing happens after a full day and then some, then it could be an issue.
    Cheers

Eggman20 likes this.
  8. banjomike1986

So update, it activated that day, ramped up the room temp to 70ish and it started to Karusen. It'll be a week tomorrow gonna take reading. It dropped krausen after about 3 days, and now just hanging around 66-68 degrees. updated tomorrow with a reading

MrOH and PapaGoose03 like this.
  9. banjomike1986

Ok, so WOW this stuff is a beast in one week I’m reading 1.010 that puts be at 6.5%. I didn’t think I had that good of an efficiency on this brew but apparently I did. Gonna let it go check it in another few days. I was only shooting for 7% so anything up and I’m happy.

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  10. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

So, just so we're talking a common language, efficiency is about how much of the total potential carbohydrates make if into the kettle (mash efficiency) or all the way into the fermenter (brewhouse efficiency). What I think you're talking about is Apparent Attenuation, which going from 1.060 to 1.010 is about 83% ((60 - 10) / 60), and isn't really directly related to efficiency.

With Wyeast 3711 and a typical Saison wort, you can most likely expect that it's not done at 83% apparent attenuation.

11. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Savant (1,125) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

It's not done till it hits at least 1.003, and maybe even lower. In my experience it takes about 3.5 weeks to get all the way there.

banjomike1986 and MrOH like this.
  12. VikeMan

Pooh-Bah Society

I agree that at 1.010, this beer is almost certainly not done. It would actually be hard to make a wort where 3711 wouldn't get more than 83% apparent attenuation. But personally I would never pick an FG number and say that yeast strain "x" always hits at or below that number, ignoring the OG and wort fermentability.

13. MrOH

Pooh-Bah Society

Like @dmtaylor and @VikeMan said, you're not done. When you think you're done with 3711 (and most other saison yeasts), take a gravity sample, and then wait a week instead of the normal 3 days to check stability. Even if it's just down another.001, wait a week and check again.

banjomike1986, dmtaylor and VikeMan like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have used 3711 multiple times. FWIW I have always obtained very low FG values (e.g.,1.001) and I reached those values in less than 7 days of primary fermentation.

YMMV.

Cheers!

15. banjomike1986

Really appreciate all you’re feedback. First time using this yeast so all the input is appreciated. Gonna take another reading in a few day. But if I’m only wanting a certain abv can I stop it, or do I have to let it finish? Wife and I were only shooting for a 7ish. Just wondering about that?

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  16. banjomike1986

Can you PM me and discuss efficiency more? Or can I PM you? I understand it to an extent. Mash and Brewhouse....

17. VikeMan

Pooh-Bah Society

Fire away.

riptorn likes this.
  18. MrOH

Pooh-Bah Society

Really the only way to stop it would be to use potassium sorbate in conjunction with potassium metabisulfite (Camden tablets) or pasteurize. Home pasteurization is possible, but tricky, and I wouldn't recommend it, unless you like the flavor of cooked beer if taken too far, or gushers or exploding bottles if you don't take it far enough. Chemicals would work if you are force carbonating in a keg.

dmtaylor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.