Wyeast's New Sour Blends?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jae, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jae

jae Initiate (197) Feb 21, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Any industry folk out there with the scoop about Wyeast's new sour blends (private collection July thru Sept 2014)?

2. psnydez86

psnydez86 Disciple (363) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

3. minderbender

minderbender Aspirant (215) Jan 18, 2009 New York

Look at the recommended temperature ranges on those blends! Wouldn't be easy for me to manage consistently even in the summer.

4. OldSock

OldSock Defender (655) Apr 3, 2005 District of Columbia

Glad to see some new bugs! With the de Bom Sour Blend, aerating during fermentation in an attempt to encourage ethyl acetate is interesting... Ethyl acetate can be pleasant (pear) at low levels, but quickly turns to nail polish remover. Seems risky.

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (1,242) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I was looking for info on those as well. I'll probably pick up all 3 of them.

de Bom sounds interesting, and I might get the Oud bruin to do along side my ECY flemish.

6. WillQC4Beer

WillQC4Beer Initiate (59) May 1, 2014 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Note to self, order all of those.

7. psnydez86

Beer Trader

I really wanna try sour worting with that lacto strain. Hopefully not a let down like other commercial lacto strains.

8. WillQC4Beer

Beer Trader

I've had pretty good success with other lacto strains as long as i give them a ton of time to sour (~72 hours)

psnydez86 likes this.
  9. psnydez86

Beer Trader

What strain was the best? Did you do a starter? You soured your wort, then boiled, then did a clean ferment?

10. WillQC4Beer

Beer Trader

I had the best success with Wyeasts Lacto, i soured the wort, then boil, then pitched berliner blend from white labs, or just a singular strain of yeast. I also tend to take a small sample to check acidity either using pH or by taste depending on how strict i want to be

edit: totally missed the starter question, no never done a starter for it.

psnydez86 likes this.
  11. psnydez86

Beer Trader

@WillQC4Beer Good info. I've done sour wort with grain but I let it get away from me. 3.1 acidity. So the kolsch yeast was unhappy. Brett Custersianus is now slowly chomping away at it.

Do you have to keep the beer warm for the wyeast lacto to get sour enough in 72 hours?

12. WillQC4Beer

Beer Trader

I have never tried to do it without keeping it warm, whether it was using a heating blanket or pad, or stove top monitoring temperature and turning the burner on and off of the lowest setting just to keep temp stable.

psnydez86 likes this.
  13. ryane

ryane Initiate (161) Nov 21, 2007 Washington

The lacto looks the most promising to me, I think im gonna do a low abv sour with that as the sole fermentor, then split the wort and add something like nectarines or huckleberries to half

psnydez86 likes this.
  14. Daemose

Daemose Devotee (426) Oct 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

How do I obtain these?

15. minderbender

minderbender Aspirant (215) Jan 18, 2009 New York

They should be available from your local homebrew store and/or the major internet retailers starting in July. Wyeast releases these "Private Collection" products for 3-month periods. For the April-June period, Wyeast is offering Mexican lager yeast, Belgian stout yeast, and K├Âlsch yeast.

16. Whiskeydeez

Whiskeydeez Crusader (756) Jan 23, 2012 Kansas
    Beer Trader

I picked up the De Bom to put in a raspberry sour, I'm very interested to see if the 1-2 months is all it needs with the "manly" bugs it uses. It would be great if it does, who wants to wait on a beer for a year anyways!

17. Daemose

Daemose Devotee (426) Oct 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Where you get it?

18. Whiskeydeez

Whiskeydeez Crusader (756) Jan 23, 2012 Kansas
    Beer Trader

I picked it up at my LHBS.

19. bryreeves

bryreeves Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Are there any more details out there on De Bom performance and the methodology best used to aerate it?
    Can you really get funky fresh in two months?

20. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2010 Michigan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.