Wyoming Breweries Worth Checking Out

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by beatenbyjacks, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Zealot (503) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I am doing the MS150 this weekend up in Sundance, Wyoming and on the way back I would love to check out some breweries. I am driving from Denver and mapquest has me taking I25, to 26, to 85. I do not see many along the route so hoping to skip any bad ones and hit something up on my way back. Any suggestions along the way would be great.

Cheers

2. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Poo-Bah (4,679) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Beer Trader

Snake River makes very solid beers.... Not sure if that route takes you into Jackson, but their sours are well worth seeking out.

3. mkorpal

mkorpal Aspirant (212) Oct 28, 2007 Colorado

Freedoms Edge in Cheyenne is a cool spot to check out. To be honest, there isn't much else along that route. But if you take 90 over to Buffalo/Sheridan and I25 back down there would be plenty to check out.

4. Wayne1

Wayne1 Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2008 Colorado

If you happen to travel I-90 to I-25, stop off in Gillette.

Two breweries recently opened in Gillette.

Gillette Brewing Co. is located in downtown in the old Post Office.

Prairie Fire Brewing is slightly away from downtown but is a new, ground up brewery.

They brought in a brewer from WA. Check them out.

Bitterbill likes this.
  5. joshclauss

joshclauss Aspirant (243) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I was straight up blown away by the quality coming out of Altitude Chophouse & Brewery when I had their beer at Big Beers fest in Vail. Not sure where it is, but it sounds like you must be going by it. I would make a point to stop there.

Oxymoron likes this.
  6. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Disciple (332) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Second year in a row some friends, the wife and I are heading up for the Steinley Cup!! What a blast we had last year, features most of the Wyoming breweries fighting for bragging rights and the cup!!

7. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (281) May 31, 2011 Colorado

I got 6'ers of the vienna lager, the pale ale, and the stout from snake river (hell, maybe even the ipa) earlier this summer. I really liked the lager and the zonkers stout. The pale ale was basically a sierra nevada clone, and didn't do a whole lot for me. But, I wish that I could get their beer on the front range.

8. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Defender (631) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Agree on this one. Black Tooth in Sheridan makes some tasty brews and from what I've heard, so does Clear Creek over in Buffalo (I'll be checking that one out next week). And Spearfish, SD isn't too far from Sundance where you could check out Crow Peak. I've had a couple of theirs that they can and I say not bad at all.

9. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,496) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Bitterbill not on this any more? He always knew what was up in Wyoming...

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. mkorpal

That is in Laramie, a bit of a detour.

11. pokesbeerdude

pokesbeerdude Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2007 Colorado

Hit up Freedom's Edge in Cheyenne. About the only thing that's really on your route. Definitely stop at a liquor store and grab a six pack of Snake River Zonker Stout, Snake River Vienna Lager and Snake River Pako's IPA (if you can find it reasonably fresh). Three excellent, completely under the radar beers that all have finished top 3 at GABF.

12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,075) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

When did you say you were going? BT & CC are definitely in my plans to visit.

13. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

I just found this thread.:slight_smile:

And..all of the good suggestions have already been made. Cheers to you all!

Schmittymack likes this.
  14. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

Yeah, I hope the OP gets to try FE's Blood Orange DIPA. Very darn good!

15. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

Prairie Fire has sent a keg of its Red Amber to Casper. I'll check it out today.(It's a PNW style)

16. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Defender (631) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

We'll be in Story Wed afternoon; don't know if it'll be Wed, Thur, or Fri to hit BT and CCB. Looking forward to both.

17. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Disciple (332) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Snake River, Black Tooth and Grand Teton!!

18. mkorpal

Lets not include Grand Teton. Damn turncoats.

Bitterbill likes this.
  19. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

:slight_smile:

20. beatenbyjacks

Beer Trader

Thanks for all the suggestions. I swung by Gillette and hit up Prairie Fire on the way home. The bar was beautiful, the building was cool, but the service and beer were mediocre. With a space like they have I hope the beers will grow as you could tell it was a new brewery for sure. Thanks again for suggestions!

SalukiAlum likes this.
  21. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

I can't speak for the service as I've never been but I thought their Red Amber was a delightfully malty example of the style.

22. beatenbyjacks

Beer Trader

They were changing that keg out qhen I ordered, so I got their wheat, pale, ipa, amber, and porter in sample form. For me it went pale, wheat, amber, porter, IPA. I'm a huge IPA person, but whatever hops they are using I wasn't a fan of. Best of luck as I loved the bar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.