Yeast Decisions

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by chavinparty, Aug 6, 2018.

1. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (114) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

so I got some 1968 yeast from my lhbs and he knew that it was nuked in transit so he didn’t charge me but I thought I’d see if it would start up anyway since I was in a pinch. 6 hours after pitching in a 1 liter starter I ended up using some viable yeast that I wasn’t planning on using. So it’s been 48 hrs and it’s starting to ferment. It smells intriguing like vanilla and butterscotch but I would assume it’s a wild mess. I guess the logical choice would be to see how it tastes in another few days? Part of me wants to save it And count on a wild ale or maybe a small extract batch to see if it is indeed 1968 Maybe I should just dump it. Has anyone else had similar experiences and or have any ideas?

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (745) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Why? 1968 is the Fuller's strain.

chavinparty and Granitebeard like this.
  3. honkey

honkey Zealot (526) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Premium

Sounds like your yeast starter is producing diacetyl. It's only a wild mess if you accidentally introduced a contamination.

4. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Initiate (186) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

"nuked"? What does that mean, exactly? It saw some high temperatures for a couple days? I doubt that would have much impact on viability. Yeast is way more resilient than a lot of brewers give it credit for. You've got yourself a 1968 yeast starter. Now ask yourself how you want to use it, for an experimental batch, or maybe even not.

EvenMoreJesus and chavinparty like this.
  5. chavinparty

I guess it was diacetyl and I underestimated yeast indeed. Smells like a good starter today. I’ve just never had a small starter take more than a few hours to get going. “Nuked” was referring to a shipment of yeast my homebrew store got in the middle of the summer. He said he got 500$ of bad yeast and a lot of angry customers.

6. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Initiate (186) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

If yours is alive, it's alive. Diacetyl is normal in the early stages for any yeast, especially an English strain.

Cheers.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  7. chavinparty

Makes me sad I’m pretty sure he threw it all out :slight_frown:

8. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,439) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

So, what exactly happened (if you know)? i.e. how was it packaged and shipped? Or did something unusual happen along the way?

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  9. chavinparty

I know that most retailers advise against liquid yeast shipping in the summer months in case of temperature swings. I’ll have to ask him about how it was delivered but I would assume a long trip in a hot box truck because it was far from 1 billion cells

10. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (745) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Yeast shipments usually come with dry ice or cold packs in an insulated package to mitigate hot weather. Just sayin'.