Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Yeast stirrer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by sooners3210, Aug 27, 2013.

1. sooners3210

Subscriber

I have misplaced the little white pill looking thing for my yeast stirrer. Is there anything I can substitute until I can get a new one? I was planning on brewing tomorrow.

2. MLucky

I'd say the most expedient replacement would be elbow grease: just pick the starter up and shake it periodically. (As you know, you would need to increase the size of the starter slightly, but it'll get the job done.) Unless your LHBS happens to carry those things.

inchrisin likes this.
  3. hopsandmalt

Once I used a 1" long piece of 1/8" threaded rod stuck inside a piece of aquarium pump tubing when I had accidentally pitched my stir bar into my carboy.

4. IPeteA91

Beer Trader

Do make sure the threaded rod is stainless, otherwise metallic off-flavors might combat the beer goodness?

5. IPeteA91

Beer Trader

By the way, if you are in Dallas I have a couple extra stir sticks.

6. inchrisin

I never thought of that. How does one not pitch the stir bar into the fermenter?

7. billf

Beer Trader

use a magnet to hold it in place at the bottom of your flask, or use a magnet to slide the stir bar up the side and out before you pitch.

I "repurposed" a refrigerator magnet for this task ;)

inchrisin likes this.
  8. Masemob

+1 on the extra magnet. There's nothing worse than pitching your magnet then needing it right away afterwards to start another starter.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe