Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Yeast stirrer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by sooners3210, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooners3210

sooners3210 Jun 15, 2006 Texas
    Subscriber

I have misplaced the little white pill looking thing for my yeast stirrer. Is there anything I can substitute until I can get a new one? I was planning on brewing tomorrow.

2. MLucky

MLucky Jul 31, 2010 California

I'd say the most expedient replacement would be elbow grease: just pick the starter up and shake it periodically. (As you know, you would need to increase the size of the starter slightly, but it'll get the job done.) Unless your LHBS happens to carry those things.

inchrisin likes this.
  3. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Dec 14, 2006 Michigan

Once I used a 1" long piece of 1/8" threaded rod stuck inside a piece of aquarium pump tubing when I had accidentally pitched my stir bar into my carboy.

4. IPeteA91

IPeteA91 Nov 10, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Do make sure the threaded rod is stainless, otherwise metallic off-flavors might combat the beer goodness?

5. IPeteA91

IPeteA91 Nov 10, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

By the way, if you are in Dallas I have a couple extra stir sticks.

6. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I never thought of that. How does one not pitch the stir bar into the fermenter?

7. billf

billf Jul 31, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

use a magnet to hold it in place at the bottom of your flask, or use a magnet to slide the stir bar up the side and out before you pitch.

I "repurposed" a refrigerator magnet for this task ;)

inchrisin likes this.
  8. Masemob

Masemob Aug 27, 2013 Florida

+1 on the extra magnet. There's nothing worse than pitching your magnet then needing it right away afterwards to start another starter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe