Yorkshire ales

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Patric70, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Patric70

Patric70 Initiate (16) Oct 10, 2020 England

Dear friends

My perfect beer moment - a spring day in the Yorkshire dales, the woods are full of bluebells and the fields buzzing with bleating lambs. The air is thick with the smells of sheep shit and hawthorn blossom. After a good walk in the hills we stumble into an 18th century pub with stone floors amd the smell of the resting winters fire. A pint of - hmmmm what would your perfect beer taste like in this situation...?

2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,589) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Something brewed in Yorkshire squares, e.g. Taddy Porter.

3. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (192) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,859) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It sounds like a farmhouse ale would seem appropriate. :wink:

beergoot, Bitterbill, Peach63 and 2 others like this.
  5. Patric70

Yes - Christmas pudding in a glass - I’ll be thirsty though and maybe that’s my autumn drink.

6. Patric70

Dear friend - I live near the brewery and fish in the river in tadcaster. Taddy Porter is a taste of Yorkshire. Good choice. However - maybe a tad rich after a gruelling walk.

7. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,294) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

I sure miss those fresh Samuel Smith ales I used to find on the shelves.

beerluvr, Bitterbill, Foyle and 3 others like this.
  8. Spade

Spade Initiate (90) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

A bitter from the hand pump.

9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,568) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Yessss.

10. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,844) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

As said above, any cask Bitter. I better have a book by Julian Barnes, George Eliot, Virginia Wolf, or Charles Dickens with me as well :sunglasses:

11. Spade

Spade Initiate (90) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

The original post says spring, but this time of year I'd go with Mary Shelley.

ChicagoJ, VABA, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  12. zid

zid Meyvn (1,234) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I sure miss being able to get this:

[​IMG]

13. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Meyvn (1,230) Feb 6, 2007 Florida
    Trader

Double Yessss

Spade likes this.
  14. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,840) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Bingo!

15. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,844) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I remember drinking a lot of Theakston Old Peculier and even more of anything from Tim Taylor on cask when I worked in the area. This was many years ago though.

16. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (326) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Threakston's Old Peculiar. Used to get it as far away as Arkansas but can't find it now.

A tour of the Dales in the fall is on my bucket list.

ChicagoJ, beerluvr, Zimbo and 7 others like this.
  17. Foyle

Foyle Savant (992) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

I haven't seen Old Peculiar in 6 or 7 years, several stores in my area used to carry it.

lastmango and Bitterbill like this.
  18. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,267) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Landlord on cask. Somewhere in or near Marylebone.

19. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (459) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

a Rudgate Dark Ruby Mild please ....preferably at the Ackhorne Pub. Cheers mate.

20. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,111) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I love the imagery painted in the OP. I hope international air travel comes back soon. Not that I traveled very much internationally but having that option and something to plan towards / look forward to. I miss that. I’m sure others do to.

21. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (159) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I was in London in March, just before everything shut down. Getting to experience a proper pub and drinking delicious beers on cask was just an amazing experience. Can't wait to have a cask bitter or EDM again some day...

22. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (567) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Tetley's Mild - the ultimate Yorkshire beer. At least when I lived in the county.

23. lastmango

lastmango Crusader (710) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

I only had it once in 1979 from Williamsburg, VA. Have not seen it since in MD and PA where I am now.

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,396) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I have or had a liking for Black Sheep Riggwelter when it was around.

25. marquis

marquis Champion (817) Nov 20, 2005 England

My grandson was born within spitting distance of the Timothy Taylor brewery in Keighley. I love all of their beers, particularly Golden Best, a Pale Mild

26. Jack_14

Jack_14 Initiate (103) Nov 2, 2019 Italy
    Trader

Well my friend ...
    outdoors I would throw myself on the Hopback golden ale which, for my taste is perfect (even if I have always drunk it only cask and never from the bottle),
    in the evening returning, towards the end of sunset, a beautiful Teddy Porter by Samuel Smith.
    Maybe in my pewter mug!
    Or, utopically ... a Black Smoke by Stocklinch Ales!
    My mouth is watering as I write this.

dcotom and TongoRad like this.
  27. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (260) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Westy XII

dcotom likes this.
  28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,396) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

??

Stormfield likes this.
  29. Providence

Providence Crusader (711) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Yup. One of the best beers on the planet. Good in every scenario, but especially the one described above.

30. Brugesman

Brugesman Initiate (73) Apr 22, 2020 California
    Trader

Umm, a nice sparkling gueuze? :stuck_out_tongue: Actually, while that would be very refreshing after a long walk, it’s not in the spirit of the original post. Plus, travel is a great opportunity to explore styles from the country you’re visiting.

I love how a strong beer feels in my bodeh after exercise. So I’m gonna buck the trend of modesty I see in this thread and go with an English Barleywine. Feel the buzz, people.

Only problem is I’ve never had one since my bottle shop selection kinda sucks and I’m not sure how much English Barleywine makes it to the West Coast anyway. So, fellow Advocates, please recommend one of these commercial examples listed in the BJCP guide:
    • Adnams Tally-Ho
    • Burton BridgeThomas Sykes Old Ale
    • Coniston No. 9 Barley Wine
    • Fuller’s Golden Pride
    • J.W. Lee’s Vintage Harvest Ale
    • Robinson’s Old Tom
    I’d like some cheese with that please. How about a small plate of Stilton. Might have to pair that with the J.W. Lee’s Vintage Harvest Ale. But if your recommend a different option, fear not, there is always room for a second round. Cheers!

31. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,957) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

My one and only trip to England I found myself in Bracknell in the beginning of fall. Got out of the office at 8:30 on the first nite there, called an uber he shows up and could only take 4 of us and there was 5. I said go ahead, I will walk. Been a shitty day, so the closest pub that was opened that time was about 1 mile. Walked in, hit with the warmth of a fire, I wasn't choosy, I just wanted a beer. No food so I had a couple of pints with a bag of chips and some beef jerky. Wasn't a bad way to end the night.

32. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,313) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

If you're going for some northern Engllsh cheese to eat alongside a barleywine, you could do worse that Lincolnshire Poacher and Stitchleton or Colston-Bassett Stilton. None are from Yorkshire, but are somewhat neighboring.

Bitterbill, Brugesman and champ103 like this.
  33. RutgersBeerGuy

RutgersBeerGuy Aspirant (268) Jan 16, 2007 New York
    Trader

Yes! Adam Bede or Pickwick Papers would do nicely.

officerbill, Bitterbill and champ103 like this.
  34. RutgersBeerGuy

RutgersBeerGuy Aspirant (268) Jan 16, 2007 New York
    Trader

Definitely Landlord. Never had the pleasure of drinking it in Yorkshire, but it drinks charmingly in London.

35. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,195) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

I’ll join the Landlord group. I’ve only had it once decades ago. But, after a few pints, I’d like something from one of the newer breweries too. Maybe something from Northern Monk.

Bitterbill and Jack_14 like this.
  36. Patric70

Hi Matt - cask ale has been a little side lined here but remains strong. As winter draws in - and we’re still aloud in pubs - we can still enjoy a frothy pint.

Bitterbill and TheMattJones88 like this.
  37. Patric70

The Yorkshire novel is Wuthering Heights - and I bloody love it. A dark tale of revenge and passion on a bleak Yorkshire moor in the early 19th century. Timothy Taylor’s is the local brew - amd you could do worse than sit in one of the pubs in Howarth quaffing pints and reading it whilst enjoying the local banter.

Bitterbill and MNAle like this.
  38. Patric70

We have lots of good cheeses in Yorkshire - Wensleydale is the go to. Originally made by French Cistercian monks in the 11th century after the Norman invasion. It’s pleasantly sour - we sometimes have it with Christmas cake. If you can get a good farmhouse one your laughing.

Bitterbill, champ103, zid and 2 others like this.
  39. Patric70

Cornish Yarg - wrapped in nettles. If the Barley wine is your Richard Burton - this is your Elizabeth Taylor.

Bitterbill and Brugesman like this.
  40. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,313) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Hawes Wensleydale is one of my all-time favorite cheeses.

Bitterbill and champ103 like this.