Your beer catalog

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BigIronH, Oct 9, 2021.

1. BigIronH

BigIronH Champion (844) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

When I started drinking “craft” beer, I did a lot of googling, which lead me to this site. Over the last couple years I have cataloged my entire beer list with this site(with the exception of AAL and Malt liquor). I know a lot of you are much older, and a lot of you have had many more beers than I have but I wonder, do you have your entire catalog on the site? How long have you been taking notes on beer? Do you have a long list that you still intend to upload or do you put most of your energy into UT? Let’s talk beer catalogs!

Premo88, Junior, Amendm and 8 others like this.
  2. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,004) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I’ve got about 1/3 on here when compared to Untappd and Untappd probably includes about 75% of what I’ve had in the past 7-8 years.

I started drinking craft beer in the 90’s and didn’t start tracking anything until I joined this site.

Premo88, Junior, Amendm and 6 others like this.
  3. BigIronH

Society Trader

Do you ever come across a beer you had 10 years ago and take a sip and say “oh that’s familiar, I’ve had that before.”

Blogjackets, jhavs and Bitterbill like this.
  4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,399) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I have an untappd account, but have only ever checked in once or twice. I review beers on BA, and only track state and countries in a spreadsheet. I mostly buy singles of new-to-me beers to review, and on a couple of occasions I went to enter the review and found I'd reviewed it before.

5. BigIronH

Society Trader

I can imagine you would have with as many beers as you’ve reviewed. Do you think you have most or all of your beers on BA or is there a number of “lost” beers?

Junior, Blogjackets and bbtkd like this.
  6. bbtkd

Society Trader

I have reviewed every new-to-me beer I've had since joining BA, and posted 99% of the beers I've had either in the WBAYDN, NBS or NBW threads.

7. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,330) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

Like you, I started drinking craft beer in the 1990s when I was in the military; but I didn't start reviewing the beers until I joined this website. You are well ahead of me in reviews, however.

Rug, Blogjackets, jhavs and 1 other person like this.
  8. milkshakebeersucks

milkshakebeersucks Champion (803) Feb 10, 2020 Maryland
    Society

I started reviewing beers on RateBeer way back 2003 but left in 2017 when they sold out; sat out a couple of years before joining BA. Made many good friends there. Did not transfer any of those beers (almost 2000) to this site but do go back occasionally to see how they match up to what I had recently. And, no, there were no milkshake beers back then that I remember.

Junior, Amendm, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  9. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,145) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

I think I have properly reviewed 50% of the new beers to me that I have had since I joined. If it is a one off, from a local, or I am on the road and cannot properly appreciate the beer, I will either give it a rating or maybe an entry on UT. If it doesn't already have an entry on BA, most likely won't add one just for my ramblings as I am likely the only one on this site that will bother to drink and rate the beer.

dcotom, Blogjackets and BigIronH like this.
  10. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,141) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'd guess I've reviewed over 95% of the beers I've tried.

Blogjackets and BigIronH like this.
  11. dbl_delta

dbl_delta Poo-Bah (3,171) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

If you want to check your work, BA also tracks states and countries - although it's buried kind of deep. Click on your avatar, then "Profile Page", then click on the number of beers you've reviewed. The number of styles, countries, and states is in the upper left. You can go one level deeper to get the number and percentage of beers if you want. I find that useful for seeing what states I'm missing.
    Coincidentally, I have a spreadsheet also - I track ABV, BA score, and my score. I'm not sure why I bother, but I just like spreadsheets.
    I've been reviewing beers on BA since 2013, and my entire catalog is on here. I've recently (2020) started tracking beers on UT also. Again, I'm not sure why I bother. Apparently I have this compulsion to track stuff...

12. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,230) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I started drinking craft beers in 1996 and I collected a bottle/can for each new beer. That lasted about 15 years until I ran out of display space (and then some more) until I reached around 2,300 bottles. All were catalogued on a spreadsheet. Then I quit.

About the same time my wife got started on Untappd where we now have 3,355 unique beers logged. So that number plus the 2,300 are the total unique beers, but not close to the total of all, which is an incalculable number.

Under certain circumstances I'll add some beers here on BA and I always rate them, but rarely will I write a review because so many of my tasting experiences are from sampler flights that possibly don't give me the total taste experience to write details. If I rate a beer and there is some rating factor that I give to it that is out of wack compared with the other factors, good or bad, I'll write a comment about it that occasionally becomes a 'review' from a letter count standpoint.

13. bbtkd

Society Trader

Cool, hadn't found the names before.

Blogjackets, mikeinportc and BigIronH like this.
  14. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Zealot (509) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Excellent! My first beer note goes back to 1985-86. I fell in love with Heineken Dark. Then while in college in Boston I got a job in a liquor store, had a roommate that worked in another LQ and I was also slingin' beers at Fenway Park. Beers Beers Beers and one day I got the 1st edition of Michael Jackson's Pocket Guide To Beer. I ended up touring Europe US Canada late 80's up into the late 90's with rock n roll bands and had loads of beers there...loads. My beer journal now has 1589 entries. Some have good descriptions, others do not. Joined BA in Jan this yr and I now have all my old books, lists and scraps put into excel and I'm just beginning to enter my beers of the past along side the new ones I'm getting these days. ZOOM! Cheers BA!

Junior, Rug, Blogjackets and 4 others like this.
  15. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (2,997) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

I use UT to simply track my beers and add that rating to BA later.
    Sounds like a plan, but it doesn't always go as planned.
    As I have gotten older and lazier I dont write as many reviews as I should, typically I am giving a rating and that's it.
    I guess I should change that behavior...?

16. moodenba

moodenba Devotee (485) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Started tasting beer in early 70s in San Diego. Ex-roomie has the early beer can collection in Alabama. I have some Chicago cans in my attic. More east coast brews in the basement. Started posting reviews on BA in about 2016. About 200 reviews. Some old unlamented beers. San Diego: A-1 (National Phoenix), Cascade (Blitz) and Eastside (Pabst). Chicago: Zodiac Malt (Peter Hand) and Edelweiss (Pickett). East Coast: Copenhagen Castle (Metropolis/Champale) and Piels Cream Ale (Schaefer). Some old high points: San Diego: Ballantine Ale (Ballantine) and Ritterbrau Dortmunder. Chicago: Gemutlicheit Draft (Huber) and Andeker (Pabst). East Coast: Sean O'Shaunessy Stout (Ortlieb), Amber Ale (Wm. Newman) and draft ales at Manhattan Brewery.

#16 moodenba, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  17. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,969) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I’ve got an Excel spreadsheet with one tab/sheet that lists my entire current inventory (at present, 207 cans/bottles totaling 29.98 gallons of beer) and another tab/sheet with all my reviews (at present, 1185 unique beers). I love data.

BillAfromSoCal, sharpski, Rug and 5 others like this.
  18. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,890) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

When I was homebrewing I took this way more serious. Since semi retiring, I plan to return once my kids are older, I have really stopped caring about dissecting beer. I rarely use glassware. My life is too damned short to worry about some of these things. The beers I have reviewed represent maybe %10-%20 of the total beers I have tried.

19. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,808) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I have a spreadsheet with tabs for beers, places, states, countries, and styles. I haven't updated it in a while, and I probably won't go back to it except as a matter of historical curiosity once in a while. It takes too long to start from scratch every time if I want to keep things up to date. (If there's a better way than copying, rearranging, and reformatting the BA database info fifty entries at a time, I haven't found it yet.)

I started using my Untappd account earlier this year, not so much to keep a record (although I do) as to monitor some of the local venues and tap lists. As far as catalogs, my "body of work" is pretty much entirely on BA now.

20. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (7,196) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

I started using BA as a resource to find out about beer I was looking to buy. That lead to rating, and then, with some confidence, to reviewing. And of course, the more social elements in the forums.

I review every beer I drink that I have properly tried on BA. That means a beer where I've had enough of a sample of in a environment where the beer is the main thing I'm doing. Stuff that is not right, or stuff I have in social settings don't get reviews, but check ins on Untappd. I rarely review in real time, but take notes and then enter it here, usually in bunches.

Junior, puck1225, dcotom and 6 others like this.
  21. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (3,271) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I've rated 2,487 on here since October 2007. This is by no means every new beer I've tried since then but I'll bet it is 80%. This is the only place I have ever cataloged my beers. I have had the goal of getting to 2,500 for a couple of years and I'll make it soon. That'll be satisfying.

Junior, dcotom, Blogjackets and 4 others like this.
  22. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,004) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Hard to say, and more likely I just remember having it or remember having gone to the brewery years ago than actually being familiar with the taste. I do plan on going to Brooklyn Brewery in a week or so. I used to have their beers a lot 10-15 years ago but not at all recently. Maybe I’ll remember them in that way.

dcotom, Blogjackets and BigIronH like this.
  23. BigIronH

Society Trader

Do you plan to review what you have or if you try beers you haven’t had in a while that you’ve already reviewed, do you think you’d re review them?

jhavs likes this.
  24. moodenba

moodenba Devotee (485) Feb 2, 2015 New York

My taste preferences haven't changed much in the last 40 years or so. I can tell whether I enjoy a beer as much as I had previously. To detect more subtle taste drift takes more intake than I can tolerate at my age. In the case of legacy brands (ABInbev, MillerCoors, Yuengling), I don't regularly drink them and don't expect them to taste like they did in the distant past. I'd expect enjoyment to go from maybe tolerable to not tolerable. In some cases craft beers change due to style shift by the brewer. Also, some craft beers purchased by big companies don't seem to hold up well. Of concern to me is the loss of favorite beers due to a shift from traditional styles.

Rug, BigIronH, dcotom and 1 other person like this.
  25. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,476) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Pre-BA i took notes in a little notebook and then moved onto an excel spreadsheet with notes and pictures. When i joined BA, i tried to write most of what i had down, but probably only got like 75% of them in. I can't believe I used to have the energy to put beer pics in an excel spreadsheet lol.

I'd say now I probably review like 90% of new beers on here and the other 10% i'm just too lazy

BigIronH and dcotom like this.
  26. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (2,997) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

All this talk of spreadheets reminded me; I used to keep a detailed spreadsheet with numerous tabs: hads, cellared, BA addresses, what was beermail, the BIF hints and hauls, etc. Then some personal shit happened and I cut back on my BA visits and drinking in general. Then after that my laptop took a shit too.
    Basically, I use my phone and the spreadsheet is all but lost.

Rug, BigIronH and dcotom like this.
  27. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,330) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

When I joined one was able to rate a beer and a sign a number to it without the five categories. I joined so that I could start doing that. That led to caring about ticking. I started on Untappd later. I started drinking craft beer in 1989. I’ve always liked trying new beers, so I’m assuming I’ve had a couple thousand that aren’t logged in here.

BigIronH and dcotom like this.
  28. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,943) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

I have reviewed about 99% of the new beers I've tried since 2017. From 2014, when I joined BA, to 2017 I kept a notebook of new beers I tried. I wasn't confident enough to review or even rate here. From high school in the early 90's through 2014, I probably tried hundreds of beers. Most of those are lost to time. Everything from all the Ice and red beers of the 90's (Old Milwaukee Red, Pabst Ice, Colt 45 Ice etc...) to Sam Adams Triple Bock, Youngs Old Nick and Heineken Tar-we-bock. My BA beer count stands at 1572, but is easily over 2000. I just don't trust my memory enough to go back and rate or review from nostalgia.

29. hbbeeremptor

hbbeeremptor Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society

Being among the younger folks here, I've been into beer for less than ten years. I mostly just drank whatever I found interesting, not paying much mind to analyzing it. Then I started working in beer, so I took it more seriously and worked on building my sensory/evaluation skills. I've been doing that for about 3 - 4 years now.

I originally used Instagram to catalog the beers but that became too difficult to sort through; I learned about Untappd which I use to this day to record notes/rating.

On Untappd currently, I'm sitting at 1117 unique beers and I have about 200 on Instagram I haven't migrated over yet. There are few from very early on before Instagram/UT that I took pictures of but I'd say a lot of the beers I had way back are "lost."

I still find UT more convenient for the kind of notes I take but I try to contribute to BA in other ways, like Society, adding beers and the forum, because I feel like it's a good tool for me to learn and interact as a consumer and professional.

BigIronH likes this.
  30. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,413) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

I think I review about 30% of the beers I drink. My biggest excuse is that I am too "in the moment", so to speak, with either a group of friends or the environment in genearal.
    Joined Untapped, but never ticked. I guess I rely on my memory of what beers I have had, but I'm absoulutey sure my memory is far from perfect.
    On a different note, my wife and I maintain a Google spread sheet of brewries with visit dates. Passed 120 this year, despite Covid. It's basically a hobby at this point. Austin Beercation here we come at the end of this month.

31. BigIronH

Society Trader

I personally have not ever used UT as it has seemed to complicated, even when I google a beer and view it’s page there, it seems too busy. It’s interesting reading through this as seeing the crossover from one site to another. I would like to see a poll here to see how many users use one or both. With that being said do you plan to import your UT database to BA?

Rug likes this.
  32. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (12,382) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I came across BeerAdvocate a long time ago and started reviewing beers as a way to try to learn how to write beer reviews - that was my goal.

It was helpful to me because I could see what other people had already written about a beer and I'd try to find those same flavor and aroma notes in the beer. After a while I gained confidence and experience and I could pick things out on my own.

At the time I'd probably tasted around 500 different beers, which was actually a lot at the time as there weren't that many beers out there.

I don't review every beer that I drink as sometimes you just want to enjoy the moment uniterrupted, and sometimes the beer just doesn't seem worthy which probably throws my histogram off a little bit.

One of the benefits of learning to taste beer is that you're actually learning to pay attention to and properly taste everything that you eat. That's been a huge benefit for me all around.

33. defunksta

defunksta Meyvn (1,137) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

I stared reviewing more recently in 2019, and it has been a journey since I've been here. Currently I've reviewed 858 beers, which I find pretty good for two years in. I've learned a lot, but more often humbled a lot at how much I don't know and continue to learn. I primarily drinks lagers/pilsners and IPAs, but festbiers and porter/stouts during the colder seasons.
    My entire catalog in on BeerAdvocate. I really don't see the utility of Untapped. BeerAdvocate also tracks your beers, but allows you to write a review and respond to others. At least for now, I am okay with all of my reviews being cataloged on this site.

BigIronH and Amendm like this.
  34. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,290) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I have a spreadsheet on my computer of all the beers I have tried. I use Untappd to catalog when I'm out then add them to the spreadsheet when I get home.

35. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (3,602) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

When my kids had grown and I had more time and money, I started expanding my beer universe. I found BA’s ratings often agreed with my personal opinion on beers. I lurked for a bit but then joined up and started reviewing beers and enjoyed it. I also enjoy the general sense of community and have fun from the site.

Now, I would say I review about 90% of the new beers I try. I often use notes kept on my phone to better appreciate my time at new breweries and the company I have when there.

36. Rug

Rug Meyvn (1,293) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Another younger user checking in here. I would say 90-95% of the new beer I try is catalogued here on BA, the only ones not on here being from getting random beers at bars/taprooms. Mostly when I'm with friends, if I take a trip alone I'll probably review it, though more brief than my other reviews. I love BA as a tool to track all my beers, but I also have a note on my computer/phone of current beer inventory, including quantity and location (fridge, storage, cellar, etc). I too love data, and keeping track of everything keeps me sane and just gives me something to do. Maybe that speaks more to issues than my sanity, but what do I care? I just like talking and learning about beer

37. Amendm

Amendm Savant (983) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I joined the party way too late.
    West Coast IPAs were very popular when I began drinking "Craft Beer" in or around 2016.
    Stone, Lagunits, Sierra Nevada were some of my firsts.
    This is my only beer site and my only data base. I have saved the paper templates I used to write reviews. Cheers/Prost.

BigIronH, Premo88 and Rug like this.
  38. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (5,141) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

All of the beer reviews / notes I have ever taken are on here. Sometimes (like yesterday), I take notes on paper, and later enter them as reviews on BA (which I'm about to do).

I also use Untappd, but to me it's very secondary. I know I have some checkins that are on Untappd that are not on BA because sometimes I'll check in a beer when I'm in a social situation, but I'll rarely write notes.

I would guess my BA reviews represent roughly 80% of the beers I have tried in my life.

39. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (2,678) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

All the beers I drank 1974-2011. are a mere memory (or long forgotten). I've logged every new beer for the last 10 years, save the time spent with rowdy friends back in England's pubs. I started on Untapped a couple years ago, mainly because my English mates were moaning they couldn't see what I was drinking. The concept of simply opening an account on BA to follow me there was beyond the lazy gits.

Rug, BigIronH, Premo88 and 1 other person like this.
  40. hbbeeremptor

hbbeeremptor Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society

Maybe some day but it's already a bit of work migrating from Instagram to Untappd. Also I feel like a lot of my notes prior to mid-2019 aren't very useful on this platform as my sensory vocabulary and ability were much more limited then; moving those to Untappd is more for the check-in and reminder to revisit them someday.

BigIronH and Premo88 like this.