Your beer catalog

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BigIronH, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (893) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

1930 unique beers on Untappd, a few thousand more that are lost to time before I found that app. There are plenty I remember but won’t add them unless I have them again , I don’t go buying beer just to add a beer. I have a list of my honeymoon beers someplace but all the others are in my mind only. I don’t do full reviews too often or even check into a beer here with a rating much. Untappd is just much easier and I get to add a photo to remind me of a location or the beer.

Did I even answer what was asked by the op?

Enjoy

Chaz, BigIronH and Premo88 like this.
  2. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

100% of my catalog is on here.

About 98% or more of everything I've ever tasted is also on here. I've missed a few brews along the way. But I don't use any other sites/apps.

Cheers!

BigIronH likes this.
  3. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,954) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Good question, and I have an interesting answer...
    Got into craft beer around 2005ish. Started a personal list on a computer and print out. Then got onto this site 2009. Started rating some of my beers on here, but when I didn’t have time just recorded them on my personal list. It was in the 1200 range. This was until 2010.

I got out of beer until 2019. Unfortunately the computer and paper list I had previously were long gone. My ba account was still active so was able to salvage that.
    Over the last year I slowly transitioned from double entering on here and untappd to almost exclusively untappd. (Unless it’s a top 250 or someone from this site hooked me up, then I try to record it on here).
    It’s been an interesting journey. I’ve currently got about 1300 beers on here and 1400 on untappd, so clearly it’s been a big drinking year for me.

BigIronH likes this.
  4. hbbeeremptor

hbbeeremptor Aspirant (299) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society

One of the things I neglected to mention in my original reply to this thread was that I use the List feature on Untappd to sort my fridge particularly by bottle date, which is hugely invaluable to me. I put packaged on/best by dates where applicable, so my older beers don't sit longer than they have to and risk getting too old. That said, I tend to buy things fresh so that's not usually an issue but it allows me to prioritize by age if my fridge gets really full.

BillAfromSoCal, BigIronH and bret27 like this.
  5. BigIronH

BigIronH Savant (956) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

You did. Likewise, I don’t buy anything to review it. However, I do find the reviews helpful in the case of buying something I have not had or looking back on something I have had to see my prior take on it.

6. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,224) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

Started drinking craft in 93/94 but didn’t begin tracking it until 2010. First with excel, then UT. UT has probably 95% of the beers I drank from 2010-2020.

BigIronH likes this.
  7. BigIronH

Society Trader

I see you’ve got nearly 1600 here as well. Is that pretty much most of what you’ve had in that 10 year span or is it lacking compared to what you’ve got on UT.

Edit: I answered my own question when I looked at your reviews and saw you haven’t logged a beer here since 2019 and have only a couple since 2017. Anything in particular that took you to UT as opposed to BA?

sharpski likes this.
  8. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,224) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

The ability to attach a photo to my thoughts. If I’m looking back at my notes, I like having the setting to better remember the experience.

BigIronH and BillAfromSoCal like this.
  9. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Devotee (400) Aug 24, 2020 California

I started taking notes on beers in paper notebooks about 18 months ago. I have been on BA for 13-14 months and as soon as I joined i stopped the paper notes. I strongly prefer using BA to keep my catalog of beers because of the metrics and sorting capability, although I may punt to my own system (maybe based on Excel) in the future so that I could embed photos with my reviews. I review 98% of all new-to-me beers except most of the ones that I drink for the first time at breweries/restaurants (probably an average of 15 a year). I don't review those (very often) because I don't like to review from memory and seldom am I at breweries with friends/family who think that me taking notes instead of socializing is in good taste.. I don't use Untapped.

ChicagoJ, BigIronH and PapaGoose03 like this.
  10. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Devotee (400) Aug 24, 2020 California

I share your love of data and while BA comes close to what I envision as ideal, I'm really not likin' the inability to attach a photo to my reviews. If you care to share your handiwork, please elaborate on what fields you have in your spreadsheet, or does it just replicate the BA review data fields+comments? Personally I would add a field for price because I think it would be a hoot to watch prices change over time and also to graph or trend my total beer costs/month.

ChicagoJ, draheim and BigIronH like this.
  11. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,976) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Under the “inventory” tab I have the following columns (text in brackets is explanatory)
    • Brewery
    • Beer [name of the beer]
    • Style
    • State/country
    • ABV
    • Quantity [# of containers]
    • Container volume [in mL]
    • Location [beer fridge or cellar]
    • Reviewed? [yes or no]
    • Bottling date
    • Best before date
    • Best after date
    • Bottle code (if no date)
    • Notes
    Under the “ratings” tab I have the following columns:
    • Brewery
    • Beer [name of beer]
    • Style
    • State/country
    • ABV
    • Rating/review [score/review copied over from BA]
    So basically when I review a new beer I just copy the first several columns from the inventory tab over to a new row in the review tab, then fill in the score/review. Tracking ABV, best by date etc. helps me stay on top of which beers I need to consume sooner vs. what might benefit from aging or at least stay a little more stable—in theory, anyway (I’ve been on a weight loss program for a few months now so I have cut way back on my beer consumption since summertime, and some of my bottles are now close to 10 years old and probably past their prime). Tracking # of containers, volume per container etc. helps me stay on top of exactly how much beer I currently have.

I can also sort the data in all kinds of ways, as you can on BA, to see for example what states I drink the most beer from (just a guess but probably WA, OR and CA), styles I drink the most of etc. For me it’s just nice to have all the info in one place—and of course not risk losing all my reviews should something unfortunate happen to either BA or its data.

I thought about adding a “price paid” column at one point but I was already several hundred beers into the project and it just seemed like one piece of information too much to track. But it would be interesting—some of my favorite local barrel aged beers used to cost around $10 or $12 for a bomber and new they’re up around $32 or even $36–crazy.

Ffenski, ChicagoJ, BigIronH and 2 others like this.
  12. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (616) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Used to keep my beer list in a Word doc, now I keep it in both Word and Google Drive. I typically only "claim" a beer if I've had a growler/6er/4 pack. Because I'm weird.

sharpski and BigIronH like this.
  13. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (13,990) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Before I found BeerAdvocate, I had an Excel Spreadsheet with my Beer Catalog. It is now a 7 sheet file on Google Sheets. One sheet simply tracks beers with other for countries, states, styles and other random things. There's even a sheet of reserved for homebrews.

BigIronH and ChicagoJ like this.
  14. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (81) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I still use Excel to log my beers, been doing it for about 15 years now. Never got into logging them on this or other sites because I don't actually rate or score them. I prefer to just record a comment about the beer and/or the experience.

ChicagoJ, sharpski and BigIronH like this.
  15. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (455) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Probably 20 years ago, I saw a piece on TV, maybe 60 Minutes, about the great American Beer Fest, and they were talking to a guy who kept those notes, and he was going for his 5,000th individual beer he'd tried. At the time my mind was blown, how could there be that many beers out there? Of course, now we're way over that number of breweries, in the US alone. I think it's over 9000 at this point. Well over 100,000 individual beers, I'm presuming.

I've never really kept notes of what I've had, other than at fests I'll usually cross off ones I've tried. I do generally remember most of what I've had, though. |It's getting harder as more and more breweries come on line and are distributing / going to fests / tastings.

ChicagoJ, sharpski and BigIronH like this.
  16. BigIronH

Society Trader

I wasn’t drinking craft beer 20 years ago but I will say that is telling about the state of current American craft beer. Back then it was hard to think of 5000 beers you could get, now there’s probably several times that amount that have come and gone and I’m quite sure your estimate is correct in over 100k individual beers you could try today. Pretty crazy. Cheers

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,161) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

More reason to drink more of the 'classics'?

[​IMG]

Cheers!

MikeWard, PapaGoose03 and BigIronH like this.
  18. BigIronH

Society Trader

A darn good reason! Cheers

PapaGoose03 and JackHorzempa like this.
  19. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (455) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I can't argue there. There's something about those old-school brewers, the ones that have been around long enough to see the coming and going of fads. I wonder what will happen if / when the demand for hazies fades out. There's so many breweries now that have come up with a dozen varieties of hazy IPA, barely different even side by side. Something like Two Hearted is refreshing once in a while, actually clear, with pronounced bitterness alongside the later additions. Around here Berkshire Brewing has been doing it for ages, Smuttynose, a few sales notwithstanding, even Sam Adams Boston Lager, if found fresh, is an exceptional showing of that style.
    |I'm as guilty of looking for the next best thing as the next guy, and most times will buy something different, but there are a few anchors that I'll try to keep in stock in my cellar.

JackHorzempa and BigIronH like this.
  20. BigIronH

Society Trader

I try a lot of crazy stuff, I’m not ashamed of it at all. I enjoy a lot of the styles some people on this site really don’t like. But as you said, there’s a few I always go back to. I also don’t have a problem with this breweries who drop a couple beers every other week. I’ve come to understand they use that model because it’s what makes them successful.

21. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,203) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

During the tail end of college I and two roommates would sample beer and take notes on our sampling sessions.

This later evolved into brewing (home brewing was really just starting out back then, in a large scale), and we used our notes to hone our skills whenever possible, even though the (mostly imported) beers we were drinking were mostly lager styles, and ales were pretty much all that we were brewing.

We probably had three spiral notebooks filled with notes, and never made copies — and never kept in touch afterward! Still, it was a good practice, and I kept right on taking notes longhand, throughout the 1990s, until I eventually started keeping track at BA.

I still have some of my old notebooks around, as well as old bar napkins and coasters and placemats with tasting notes! I suppose there are a few hundred such “reviews” in total, but not organized well enough to where I would ever dive-right in and type them into a database (or BA).

Cheers!

BigIronH likes this.
  22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,161) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Me too.

FWIW I have noticed that a number of local breweries have put more brands of West Coast style IPAs on tap at their tasting rooms. Is this an indication of a change of trends?

Cheers!

P.S. One local brewery has had a West Coast IPA that features Motueka hops on tap for the past couple of months. This has motivated me to brew one of my one (it is bottle conditioning right now).

JrGtr and BigIronH like this.
  23. imtroy703

imtroy703 Devotee (424) Nov 13, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Da fuuhhh...

24. BigIronH

Society Trader

I felt it was necessary to indicate that lest I receive the imminent “When I started drinking craft beer we didn’t have…..etc.”

25. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,648) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

With all due respect, I don't get it. If you have so much beer that you use an app to track freshness, then to me that implies that you're not drinking most of the beer "fresh" anyway. Why bother? If you're picky about freshness, then just drink it all instead of picking and choosing. I must be missing something. :slight_smile:

BigIronH likes this.
  26. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,066) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

I only review beers on here, no ratings. I joined this site about 6 months after I discovered craft beer though, so I'd say I've probably reviewed about 80% of the beers I've tried.

I have about 300 more 'ratings' on Untappd than I do 'reviews' on here.

BigIronH likes this.
  27. BigIronH

Society Trader

Is that to say everything you have here is on Untappd also plus 300 or is it a different set of beers altogether?

28. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,066) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Correct, the ones that are on Untappd but not BA are mostly beers that I’ve had in a social setting and didn’t have a chance to review.

BigIronH likes this.