Your beer consumption and the pandemic

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by 19etz55, Aug 22, 2020.

?

Since the pandemic I'm...

This poll will close on Oct 17, 2020 at 1:27 PM.
  1. Drinking more

49.6%
  2. Drinking about the same

37.4%
  3. Drinking less

13.0%
  1. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (321) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Has the pandemic changed your beer consumption?

2. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (233) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

At first I was going to say “about the same” but then I thought about how we have gone out much less since this all started. Staying home on a typical Friday or Saturday, as opposed to going out, I’ll drink more at home. So, staying home more leads to drinking more.

3. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (42) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey

I'm trying fewer new beers but more or less the same amount.

4. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,865) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Since I've been home more and have more time to drink, and since I've been making a concerted effort to drink down most of my cellar so I don't have 20 boxes of beer to eventually move, I've been drinking more lately than before the pandemic. I've also got some fresh beer here and there to balance out all the old beers cuz I get bored of drinking 3 year old stouts and sours every day. Lesson learned, try not to buy more beer than you have time to drink.

5. Amendm

Amendm Champion (842) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

My Beer consumption has remained steady throughout this ordeal, the only difference is I do not travel as far and I have not been looking for new places to check out.

Cheers and stay safe.

oldmankoch, 19etz55 and StoutElk_92 like this.
  6. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,079) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I said less because at first I drank more. I thought it got to be too much and really slowed down. I feel better.

7. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (78) Jul 2, 2013 California

I was planning on both cutting back this year until it became a matter of "supporting local breweries." Then every brewery in CA started shipping in-state and now it's just a constant supply of 16oz cans to drink.

8. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (108) Feb 3, 2019 California

No kidding. Wife is fed up with door knocks twice a week with beer delivery. Feels like its a pipeline from brewers to residential homes, kinda like a tap with a never ending supply. Not my fault. Breweries in CA just keep on making quality tasty beer every week.

9. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,079) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Silver lining, eh?

AzfromOz, russpowell, 19etz55 and 2 others like this.
  10. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,075) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Beer consumption has dropped. New beer consumption has dropped significantly. Alcohol consumption has remained steady.

11. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,508) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

It's actually been about the same, perhaps even less.

I don't like that a lot of breweries are delivering to NH now because I'm oh so tempted but I've been able to hold back in that regard.

I do like trying beer before I buy it to go, so my buying has been cut down in that regard. At the same time, I can go get more beer at multiple locations because I'm not getting buzzed drinking at the taproom. Kind of a catch 22 for me.

19etz55 likes this.
  12. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,509) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Far less, more booze.

13. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (453) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I’ve been a steady two 16oz beers/night before and during the pandemic w occasional Fri/Sat binges. More than I’d like but it’s a balance that is working presently. Procuring my favorite beers has actually become easier w/ the emergence of on line ordering/pick up...and have dabbled in mail order w/a few breweries that wouldn’t have been possible pre C19 - Equilibrium/Vail and Burial. In person Beer shares way down of course but I’ve found myself giving beer to friends more often when my FIFO system can’t keep up and backlog get beyond a few weeks old.

14. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,486) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

I've been on a steady upward plateau since March; drinking 2-3 a day (often 4-5, by July, so not so great). Last week or so, cut back to 2 a day max, and now going to 1 a day (my usual) as I begin work again. It's been interesting; and the only reason I didn't gain 80 pounds is that I also started running a lot more per week. Was doing 15mi/week in March, now up to about 40-45 a week. So that's the upside.

dele, Nbrock24, followerofmen and 9 others like this.
  15. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,213) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I admittedly was drinking quite a bit more in the initial few months. After some bad hangovers recently I've finally had the motivation to start cutting back. I'm finally learning to pace myself and enjoy 2-3 and not be hungover the next day. Haha.

16. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (250) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I just asked my scale your question...... Before it shattered into a hundred pieces, it said more.

17. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,204) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

In the beginning of it I wasn't working as many days a week as usual so I had more free time. I found myself day drinking a lot more. I got more disciplined and now I drinking a little less than usual because I'm trying to lose some weight.

18. scootercrabb

scootercrabb Devotee (427) May 2, 2007 Illinois

Right now this is also my stage I am going to cut back and pace myself been working from home which is great but more time to drink

HorseheadsHophead and 19etz55 like this.
  19. RauchbierFan33

RauchbierFan33 Initiate (114) May 27, 2019 New York
    Trader

At the start of COVID (or rather proper lockdown in NYC) it went down. I don't know why - it sort of became an evening routine for my wife and I to have our one drink. then it spiked big time. Now it's maybe "down" (relatively) to around 20-30% more than pre-COVID. But that's actually alcohol in general. beer is probably the same or less - it's spirits (gin specifically) that have gone up

20. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,182) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

I will let the numbers do the talking. These are total oz consumed per month. There is a clear trend for increased consumption since the beginning of the pandemic (red bars). As if you guys needed more proof that I'm a nerd.

21. chipawayboy

Trader

Need to add average abv line. Has it changed too or pretty steady ?

Harrison8 and 19etz55 like this.
  22. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,182) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I got the numbers for that. Lemme report back once I get to my desktop.

23. mambossa

mambossa Aspirant (243) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

Absolutely more. And I’ve saved a small fortune from not going out.

Boredom is a vice’s best friend, though. These sum of these times is simply tremendously depressing. Tension is palpable in the outside world on a daily basis. It’s really gotten me to be more self-aware and cautious of my reason for cracking open a beer. A month or two into lockdown, for the first time in my life I had to stop myself and assess if I was having a beer to enjoy it or a beer because I was unnerved and anxious and trying to suppress it.

When I felt the latter after a days work, I would just stick with some LaCroix or tea. Overall my consumption is definitely up by a few beers, but it’s gotten me more aware of my emotions, and knowing when I’m not in an appropriate mindset to enjoy and savor a beer for the right reason.

24. chipawayboy

Trader

Another upside to the pandemic for me is that I’ve started to whittle away at my cellar stash and get a better feel for what actually lasts and what doesn’t. 2014-15-16 BC coffee stouts holding up well. English barleywines like JW Lees Harvest ale the same. Same w/ mid decade Firestone Walker stouts - even the relatively low abv 2016 Velvet Merkin. Anything w/lactose - some TH stouts that were a couple of years old - stunk as expected. Worst beer was a 2011 Doggie Claws - had high hopes for that one. Anybody else deplete their stashes ?

25. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,459) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Well, there was that stimulus....I thought it was specifically for the beer fund.

26. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,228) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

The same. My beer consumption has been the same for a pretty long while now (14 years or so).

StoutElk_92 and 19etz55 like this.
  27. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,238) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

I am trying to keep myself in check but I know I have been drinking more between not driving much and working less. Starting next week I going to try cutting back to a just pint with dinner during the week instead of the 2-3 pints I would get into over the evening. I think I will be asked to report to work remotely at the normal time I would for in person so that should help me since I won’t want to stay up late like I have this summer.

19etz55 and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  28. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,238) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

I’m slow building my cellar back up, got a big box of stouts and a few ageable bottle in trades, but in May my cellar was down to about 15-20 bottles.

StoutElk_92 and 19etz55 like this.
  29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,509) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I bet I drink maybe a sixer a week, maybe less. As long as a nix the Gin I’m good, Gin is the devil, sipping on whiskey isn’t a problem at all.

Scrapss, Peach63 and 19etz55 like this.
  30. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,213) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Just drink your beer really slow with lots of water in between each beer. Then you can pace yourself naturally and not have to feel like shit the next day.

No. I've barely touched my cellar all year. I regret building up a cellar, honestly. I've converted almost entirely to lower alcohol beers and the mood to drink a 3+ year aged bourbon barrel aged 13% almost never strikes. I don't know I'm ever going to get through it. I wish I could sell it off to somebody.

31. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,595) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

My first 10-15 years I was into craft I was obsessed with grabbing multiples of this and that for aging. Especially when I first got into it.

Then I realized most of them rarely improved with age, and at best, simply became different.

It was a real beast trying to whittle it down for two reasons:

1) Craft has exploded to the point that there's always something new to buy, so I never have a good excuse to reach into the cellar

2) Like you said, they're mostly high ABV, and I simply didn't feel like it

I'm far from alone on this either, I've noticed many of the more experienced Beeradvocates here including Todd, have felt similarly.

I wouldn't go so far as to say aging beer is pointless, but personally I feel there's diminishing returns.

Took me a long time and a lot of giving beer away or having verticals with friends to drink it down.

32. RauchbierFan33

Trader

I have poor self-control and (until very recently) a small NYC apartment with a small kitchen that contained a small fridge, where "the cellar" was a small section of a small cupboard that was the scene of an ongoing territorial battle with my wife - so take this with a grain of salt.

But I can count on one hand (or actually two fingers) the number of beers that I thought were better with age.

AlcahueteJ and 19etz55 like this.
  33. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,865) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Sometimes I don't even feel like drinking, I just force myself to drink because I feel like it's irresponsible to not drink with all the beers I have. I really don't even have an urge to drink the old beers, I'm just doing it because I have too many and I need to trim down the supply. Weight gain isn't a problem for me right now anyway, so I don't really mind drinking more with more free time. Agreed that most beers don't necessarily end up better with age, just a little different. Going forward I hope to have a small manageable cellar, mostly lambics and oak aged wild ales and maybe a few stouts or barleywines, but I don't want to get in over my head again with hundreds of bottles. This pandemic time has been a bit of a reality check for me full of introspection, deciding what I really want or not. There might be a few certain beers or styles I would get a second to age for a year or so, lambic longer, but I no longer want an endless supply of beer. I would rather have to buy more when I want some.

34. RauchbierFan33

Trader

I on the other hand have a constant desire to drink and no cellar/stockpile. I feel like your disinterest in drinking and my cellar would be combined into a powerful force of extreme health

35. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (187) Nov 6, 2010 Idaho
    Trader

Less beer, but more drinking overall. We have done some DAMAGE to wine bottles in the last six months.

36. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (5,468) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

My drinking has definitely increased. It's certainly easier to have a few beers after work when you're working from home. And like quite a few people, I've been trying to drink down my cellar and get it down to more of a manageable level. Unfortunately I've had a few brews that were far past their prime, but it happens. Also, I've been trying to support local breweries more during COVID so my purchasing hasn't gone down much. But luckily I have made a small dent in my cellar and it's continuing to go down which is a good thing.

19etz55 and StoutElk_92 like this.
  37. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (625) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Many more occurrences, think I’ve only abstained a few nights since March. One or two 12/16 oz servings, disregarding ABV. Several binges but those are rare (stomach can’t really handle more than two).

Working remotely for five plus months has countered any excess calories as I’ve been able to use the home gym much more often than having to rush into the office. Went from three to four days of lifting to five or six. Looking forward to the next wave so I can avoid the commute (bad joke).

russpowell and 19etz55 like this.
  38. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Crusader (725) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Less drinking on the weekends because Brewery tours are no longer happening and that was one of my favorite things to do on a weekend.
    I really miss being able to do tours of new to me breweries for sure.
    Still visiting Breweries but not nearly as much.
    Drinking beer remains steady during the week. No real alcohol or wine consumption.
    Cheers!

IPAs_for_days_13, eppCOS and 19etz55 like this.
  39. Brad-Ohio

Brad-Ohio Initiate (49) Mar 16, 2017 Ohio

More, definitely more. Once I learned that the local breweries delivered, it was game on. Starting with my local Brew Dog. My first delivery even came with roll of toilet paper!

40. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,595) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Ugh, yeah I can relate to this. Especially when places like Fort Point Market were delivering to where I lived. There were so many things I wanted and my eyes were bigger than my liver.

Sometimes I would have “just one more” because I simply needed to drink down my fridge.

MaximumYuks, eppCOS, 19etz55 and 2 others like this.