Your biggest epiphany in craft beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ISmith87, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Sam Adams Noble Pils is fantastic. Victory Prima Pils and Brooklyn Lager are also excellent brews in my opinion.

While the season for Sierra Nevada Summerfest is over, it's a beer worth loading up on every year.

Sixpoint The Crisp is a quality brew as well, maybe a bit tougher to find in Texas though.

And of course, most everything by Weinstephaner is tremendous.
  2. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Poo-Bah (1,520) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

First time I had Bourbon County Brand Stout was definitely an epiphany. It was the first big Bourbon-barrel-aged stout I had ever had. My mind was tuned to ``beer'' and my tastebuds responded with a message of ``super-rich, super-flavorful, in-your-face, liqueur-like, liquid-dessert coming your way''.

There was no going back after that. I was done for.
    BlackNote, KhakCane and BMitch like this.
  3. Devman171

Devman171 Zealot (560) May 16, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Realizing that i don't need to try every single release and rare beer.. Plenty of awesome beers near me!

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (708) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I've had many from BCBS to Black Tuesday to Heady Topper to Double Sunshine to Eliot Ness, but both the biggest and most recent epiphany was something I never thought would happen: I began to love sours. My wallet hasn't been the same since.
  5. DHS1029

DHS1029 Aspirant (252) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The first time I had a craft beer that wasn't a macro AAL and realized that not all beer tastes like shit.
  6. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Zealot (515) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

When I realized how much more variety I could enjoy by buying make-your-own-sixers rather than an entire 750 mL of bourbon. My local store doesn't do much f***ing on the mix-a-6 though.
    And now I've moved on to 750 mL bottles of beer, so... :flushed:
  7. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

#1: Back when JP was it for American farmhouse I realized US beers could be as good as Belgian beers.

#2: Much more recently, that a lot of Belgian 'shelf turds' (or store aged if you prefer) are much better than most of the US stuff that's a PITA to get.
  8. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (686) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I came here to more or less post this. My first epiphany was probably my first few craft beers (Smuttynose Finest Kind, Hennepin, Duvel...etc.) when I realized, wow, beer can be awesome!

My second was when I realized high abvs, hops, and barrel-aging are not all there is to beer. Low abv beers can taste just as good, if not better. To appreciate them though, you need to try a little harder, learn a lot more, and be willing to listen to those that are knowledgeable. Look beyond the top 250.

My third (which was probably around the same time as my second) was when I traveled to Europe. You learn so much from leaving the US and realizing what there is to offer overseas beyond what we get on the shelf here. I feel this should be a requirement for all BAs.
    Providence likes this.
  9. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Defender (637) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

My experience is similar except Ruination was my 2nd IPA. Torpedo was my 1st. I figure I've tried everything that's decent and locally available but I still like to try different beers when I travel or when something new comes out that's locally available.
  10. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Defender (637) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Me, too.
  11. Devman171

Devman171 Zealot (560) May 16, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Bombers suck! everything is more expensive in them, and i prefer drinking stouts/sours 12oz at a time
    BlackNote and deadonhisfeet like this.
  12. HeelsandEers

HeelsandEers Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2013 West Virginia

That's funny, because my girlfriend actually enjoys stouts more than most of the styles of beers I drink. She's not big on hoppiness, so she really doesn't enjoy my IPAs but she'll give any stout I'm drinking a try and more times than not, like it.
    MikeG304 likes this.
  13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,417) Mar 18, 2010 California

Trading is silly.
  14. BlackNote

BlackNote Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

#1: That I loved bourbon barrel beers.

#2: Tried trading and it was fun for two months, but too much work (for now).

#3: I spend way too much money on overpriced beers that are untested/unknown.
    KhakCane likes this.
  15. GardenWaters

GardenWaters Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Illinois

Home brewed beer does not have to taste like its home-brewed!
    LeRose likes this.
  16. Handle

Handle Initiate (145) Mar 16, 2009 North Carolina

This is what I came to say. My days of trading for beer are over.
  17. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Disciple (329) Oct 22, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

except for Gueuze and Lambic.
  18. Beeranator

Beeranator Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Bourbon Barrel Aged!
    BlackNote likes this.
  19. 77black_ships

77black_ships Devotee (445) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Flying Dog Gonzo – I realized that I really love beer.

Cantillon Kriek – I realized that I really love sours, this was the first real sour I tried.
  20. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Crusader (717) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

West Coast IPA's are delicious, but IPA's from other regions are just as good, but with their own unique character.
    deadonhisfeet likes this.
  21. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Texas

That I really don't like imperialized beers or anything really over the top in alcohol. i just want flavor, and good tastes, and not to feel like death the next morning.
  22. derftron

derftron Disciple (342) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

My gripe with craft beer and higher percentage IPAs/Stouts and heavier stuff was that it was tough to drink in hot weather.....but finding all sorts of refreshing beers for the summer that do not include just the domestic garbage or just lager/kolsch/pilsner styles was my biggest "AHA" moment a few years ago.

Good german hefeweizen (Weinstephaner), Vitus....>Farmhouse styles (saison dupont), sours, light belgians, etc. etc. are all perfect for hot weather, and actually have some ABV as well!
    yemenmocha likes this.
  23. Qbdoo

Qbdoo Zealot (516) Sep 1, 2013 Illinois

Try it twice. This happened with Sucks and Green Flash West Coast IPA (both just seemed too bitter at first) not too long ago. Now two of my favorites. Just this week, Founders Breakfast Stout for the first time. First beer: not for me. Three days later, the second beer made me see the light. Of course the results are not always so positive.
    ChipMurray and cosmonick like this.
  24. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (764) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Travelling about Europe as a young guy; England, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, and more. The beer was WAY better than American fizz. I loved the out of the way places all over England, Scotland, and Wales. I met fantastic people that treated us like sons, bought us beer, fed us, put us up and drove us around- we spent 5 days with 2 guys on vacation, camping, climbing Ben Nevis, meeting girls, gaining a life-long love of Great Britain and Ireland. Young's Oatmeal Stout I miss dearly.
  25. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Devotee (475) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

In college I started brewing with friends. We'd get together every Wednesday to barbeque and brew. I was already drinking better beer than BMC, but by brewing two new beers every week we explored new styles and found stuff that wasn't commercially available at the time at a very rapid rate.

More Recently - My first taste of Orval kicked off a new obsession with Brett and Belgians in general.
  26. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,431) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'm pretty happy with what I can get.
  27. danshpc

danshpc Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 New York

After drinking IPAs, Stouts, Farmhouse Ales etc for the past few years, I stopped into a local bar and had a Bud draft, wow, how my palate has changed, tasted like water.
    There's no going back now......
  28. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

the first time i had BCBS, it was like the second coming in my glass

i then realized i must seek out more of these barrel aged beauties, it was a good day
    BlackNote likes this.
  29. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Defender (646) Feb 20, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

My epiphany: Judge the beer your drinking according to the style. Then, say f*ck it, it's just a beer and enjoy it.
    KhakCane likes this.
  30. Cjames88

Cjames88 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2011 Pennsylvania

Recognizing the variety of beer. Not simply variety in style, but also differing characteristic of hop varieties and variety in the flavors put off by different yeasts. There are so many different flavors and combinations that the experiences are endless.

It really helped me discover beers I enjoy drinking as well as what I really enjoy brewing.

**Also, beer is much more enjoyable with good fellowship.
  31. dedbeer

dedbeer Disciple (319) Jun 23, 2013 Illinois

Sours are awesome! I want to drink them every day. Unfortunately my wallet doesn't agree.
  32. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

had a couple of these.

sierra nevada pale, early on in college. 'hey, beer can kinda taste good'

'08 dark lord while i was in grad school. 'what the fuck this beer is so ridiculous it tastes like roasted syrup and it's so good i've never had anything like this before'

ommegang zuur in about 2010. 'holy shit i've never had a beer that tastes like this i didn't know beer could be sour'

today i've got a closet overflowing with lambics and stouts.
  33. macandrewsRIP

macandrewsRIP Initiate (26) Oct 28, 2007 Massachusetts

...that having watched the craft brewing movement grow over the last 30 years, this might be the best time in the history of the world to really enjoy hand-crafted, high-quality, flavorful, take-no-prisoners beer.

Could it be possible that the next decade brings even more choices? At competitive prices?
    HookerBrews and cavedave like this.
  34. jollygoodfellow

jollygoodfellow Initiate (133) Jan 3, 2013 Wisconsin

IPA's and IIPA's.
    It was an epiphany for a former "lite" beer drinker!
  35. HookerBrews

HookerBrews Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 Oregon

My epiphany is not so much about any particular beer, but about the beer industry itself. I have come to realize that the craft beer revolution in this country is something uniquely and wholly American; an exercise in free enterprise that the lovers of fine brews will appreciate and benefit from for years to come. Nowhere in the world can you find more variety in beer or find more small business owners taking up the calling of selling and/or making great, American craft beer. It has inspired me to take part by brewing my own beer and see what I can create. Cheers, U.S.A.
    KhakCane and cosmonick like this.
  36. Johnny_Duck

Johnny_Duck Disciple (345) Apr 19, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Rogue is WAY overpriced.
    BlackNote likes this.
  37. labattblueribbon

labattblueribbon Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 New York

when i learned that pouring a beer into a glass from a bottle changed the taste.
    KhakCane, BlackNote and utopiajane like this.
  38. Botulizard

Botulizard Devotee (494) Jul 22, 2013 Michigan

Hops are good.

I was so not into it, until one day I was at the beer store and saw Hoponius Union and decided that for $2.95 I'd give it a shot.

Mind blown. Just the smell alone hooked me. I don't even mean when I poured it into the glass and studied the aroma. I mean as soon as I cracked the bottle, the smell flew right out and stunned me. Beautiful.
  39. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,510) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

1 - Hop Devil - introduction to ipa's away from English brews
    2- Hopslam - was my 1st really wow beer
    3- BCBS - my first really wow, BS stout.
  40. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,667) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Absolute biggest epiphany (among several others that I've had, most already stated above):
    Aging beer is absolute nonsense - period. None of them get better - they all just get different.

(And, yes....I know.....I'm the biggest violator! I wish this epiphany had come several thousand dollars ago. I have a huge cellar and I'm likely ruining more beer than most of you!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.