Great Britain Your Christmas beer plans...

Discussion in 'Europe' started by grex9101, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grex9101

grex9101 Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

I've ordered (and received!) my Christmas "special" beer! It's become something of a tradition, to order a small stock of "quality" beers to treat myself over the festive period, particularly beers that can't be easily (or cheaply) obtained here.

So, here's my haul:

Weihenstephan Vitus x 9
    Schneider Weisse TAP4 Mein Grünes x 1
    Schneider Weisse TAP5 Meine Hopfenweisse x 2
    Schneider Weisse TAP6 Unser Aventinus x 2
    Schneider Weisse TAP7 Unser Original x 2
    Schneider Weisse Aventinus Eisbock x 2

All for ~€60 (about £52 quid). Ordered from here: http://www.biershop-bayern.de/index.php/

I'd highly recommend these chaps if you like your German beers, they're incredibly efficient and friendly - not to mention that this lot would have cost me ~£80 from BeersofEurope.

Anyone else want to post their beer related hopes and dreams?

Padraig, Hoppsbabo, Zimbo and 2 others like this.
  2. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,721) Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Yeah I got my Xmas beer last year from there. A decent selection of Ayingers plus a glass. I like the barmats and stuff they send too, a nice little bonus.

My Christmas beer this year will probably a lot of dad's home brew plus whatever I can lug home on the train, probably some of the strong Fullers offerings I got a few weeks ago. Got a Wincle Wassale, a Tempest Old Parochial and an Old Dairy Snow Top saved for my student christmas dinner (reindeer curry to start, and kangaroo steaks) though.

Zimbo likes this.
  3. boddhitree

boddhitree Devotee (482) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

I live in central Germany, and for me, ordering online is the only way to get decent beers that are not "local," if there are any decent locals to start with. Otherwise, it's only Fernsehbiere, or "TV-beer," a euphemism for mass produced swill.

This saves me from having to drive around the country just to pick up the great beers. I've used Biershop Bayern a number of times, and they've always been prompt and very helpful if an order was awry. With shipping, it's about 3€ a bottle, expensive yes, but even here in Germany, worth the money.

Other online shops I recommend, from whom I've personally ordered and have had great results, are:
    • bierzwerg.de [specialize in small, independent brewers from around Germany]
    • hier-gibts-bier.de [specialize in beer from Franken]
    • bavarianbeershop.com [specialize in Kneitinger (best Pils in the world, IMO, & Eichenhofer]
    • biershop-braugasthoefe.de [specialize in small brewery-inns, also one of the few places to get Uerige Alt online.

Padraig and Zimbo like this.
  4. reprob8

reprob8 Initiate (94) May 22, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

I think I may try to make some headway into the beers I've been cellaring for these past umpteen years, may even finish my last few bottles of Courage Russian Imperial Stout

Zimbo likes this.
  5. Aye

Aye Aspirant (239) Jul 21, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Which vintage? Last one I had was a nip bottle/black label in 1987 or thereabouts.

6. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Great thread. My preliminary Christmas list is as follows:

Delirium Christmas
    Founders Old Curmudgeon
    Sierra Nevada Narwal
    Buxton Tsar
    Scotty Karate
    BrewDog Scotch Ale San Diego thing
    Ten Fidy
    Hardknott Rhetoric II

No doubt it will grow.

7. CwrwAmByth

Loved that one!

Zimbo likes this.
  8. Hanglow

Hanglow Defender (663) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

I have recently bottled 36l or so of hoppy pale ales and have an export stout in my cellar that I made about six months ago so will be mainly drinking them. Going down to deepest wales for about a week at xmas so am stuck with whatever beer I can get in the supermarket and probably brains on draught.

might just get belted on whisky and port then

CwrwAmByth likes this.
  9. reprob8

four left, '84, '89, '92 & '93. It will be sad to think they're all gone but they have to go sometime

10. grex9101

Interesting post. I suppose I (like a lot of people), presume Germany is some sort of "beer utopia". Do your supermarkets not stock "good" beer at all?

Thanks for the links, I'll need to have a look and see if any of them deliver to the UK. Nice one!

That Sierra Nevada sound interesting. I've only recently started to appreciate their torpedo and pale ale, is this in the same vein?

I'm still in a huff with brewdog.

11. Zimbo

Narwal is an Imperial Stout albeit a lighter and more sophisticated one.

12. grex9101

I am totally inexperienced when it comes to stouts, really my experience is limited to Guinness and the Belhaven one. I like the style though, can I ask where it can be purchased?

13. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Crusader (796) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

Serious stuff that Schneider & Sons although I'm not keen on the Unser Original.

My local supermarket in South Korea gets Aventinus and the Eisbock intermittently so fingers crossed I shall be able to grab a load this weekend before another expat sees them.

14. Aye

Niiice!
    Did I read something about a brewery bringing out a beer that was Courage RIS in all but name a while back or am I conflating dreams and reality again?

15. Zimbo

Bought when I was through once your way at The Good Spirits Company on Bath Street. Pretty sure it is long gone now though.

16. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (2,987) Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

Following on from Zimbo's post above, Narwhal is available from www.beerritz.co.uk (along with lots of other good stuff).

It could also still be on the shelf at Trembling Madness, in case you happen to be down York way.

I might add that based on the stout-drinking experience you describe, it's possible that Narwhal will stab you through the heart with it's horn :grinning:

CwrwAmByth and EmperorBevis like this.
  17. reprob8

Yes, Charlie Wells brewed it, originally for USA market, and it can be found over here. I've not had it but those who remember the original say it's not quite there, missing a touch of Brett possibly

18. CwrwAmByth

It;s also worth mentioning how great SN Stout is (i.e. the regular one). My friend brought me one last year as part of a selection from Arizona, and I was surprised how much depth of flavour it had for a non-conditioned bottled beer.

19. Zimbo

Probably a bit of that stern concrete darkness as well.

20. Slam_Dunkels

Slam_Dunkels Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

Hopefully off to Lewes on the weekend so will visit the Harveys shop and pick up some Christmas goodies.
    Did you know they have a two year waiting list for brewery tours?

CwrwAmByth and Zimbo like this.
  21. Hanglow

Hanglow Defender (663) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

It used to be more

that's for groups btw, I think if it's just you or a couple of you they can tack you onto the bigger groups so it's a much shorter time

Slam_Dunkels likes this.
  22. FrankenBier

FrankenBier Initiate (167) Feb 4, 2003 California

My Christmas beer plans are to fly to Belgium and go to the Kerstbierfestival in Essen...

WassailWilly likes this.
  23. CwrwAmByth

K

24. patto1ro

patto1ro Defender (622) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

Getting pissed on Abt and Islay whisky.

Zimbo likes this.
  25. patto1ro

patto1ro Defender (622) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

It doesn't taste like the same beer. And I've drunk a lot of Russian Stout. Still got around 50 bottles of the 1992 and 1993 vintage. Harvey's Imperial Stout is closer.

26. Aye

I was toying with the idea of placing an order with Harveys for their higher ABV beers, I think your recommendation just clinched it for me Mr P.

27. Zimbo

If you didn't have to order a whole case I'd probably do the same.

28. graemepattison

graemepattison Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

I have a few allready.

The Bruery Fruet
    Westvleteren 12
    12 x Courage Imperial Russian stout

And hopefully my trade will be here by Christmas

Sucaba
    Stone W00t Stout
    Double Bastard
    Black ops.

29. ChrisMclean

ChrisMclean Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2013 United Kingdom (Scotland)

I've made myself a Christmas Beer advent Calendar this year.
    Got quite a selection. Will get list when I get home.

30. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (67) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

I surprised that no one has got for their plans a trip to a Wetherspoons pub for what would most likely be a £7.95 roast with a free pint of Tuborg :grinning:

31. Padraig

Padraig Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

Woot (and Suede) have both appeared in Brewdog bars over here in the last few days. Which is a bit annoying since I hauled two of the former back from the US.

Hoping to set up a trade for Sucaba myself when back in the States next month. What does it go for?

32. Padraig

Beer Trader

As for Christmas beer plans I'm going to be up near Inverness so whatever fresh local stuff Tomlinson's have in stock from Cromarty, Cairngorm, Loch Ness, Black Isle etc.

33. graemepattison

graemepattison Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

I Know this always happens to me I got some Firestone Walker from Mikkeller and Friends and a couple of weeks later Brewdog got some of them in.

As far as trade the beers tirades for the 4 above are:

Paradox Christmas
    Paradox Isle of Arran
    Black Tokyo Horizon
    Pannepot
    Black Albert.

Graeme

Padraig likes this.
  34. Slam_Dunkels

Made it to Harvey's, the brewery shop was really busy, picked up a few beers and a Christmas Ale Christmas Pudding, but saved my beer money for the pub (Christmas Ale on cask), but will have to go back for more and to get my bottle deposits (how quaint).

[​IMG]

Aye, Padraig, EmperorBevis and 2 others like this.
  35. Padraig

Beer Trader

That sounds eminently do-able. I was thinking it'd need to be one of the seasonal Loons or some impossible to find Struise or Narke.

36. Slam_Dunkels

If anyone does not fancy buying cases but would like to trade a few Harvey's for some of their local stuff then we can sort something out in the new year, in person in London or by post, let me know if you fancy it?

37. Kal

Kal Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

I got 10 bottles of brew dog hoppy Christmas from their online shop and it worked out at less than two quid a bottle including delivery
    On top of that I have 1 bottle of paradox arran 2 shipwrecked blues 1 old world imperial stout and imperial ipa and 1 four pack of unleash the yeast
    I also found a place in Ireland that sent me a case of Sierra Nevada celebration and I picked up so e tumbler too
    I have a box of mixed stone goodies in the garage as well
    Finally I have a mixed box of ska modus hopperandi mikkeller beer geek breakfast stout dales deviant dale and dales pale ale tins of Brooklyn eipa and the Christmas offerings from flying dog brooklyn anchor and ska
    I also have 50 bottles of home made imperial ipa
    On top of all that I can't drink due to current medication
    Merry Christmas

jazzyjeff13 and CwrwAmByth like this.
  38. CwrwAmByth

Loved the plot twist there at the end. Which place sent you the Celebration?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.