Your Epic Whale Fail

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by themind, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Zealot (583) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

That's not a whale, but a myth...
    There was no Black Note 2013

Sarge3130, MalibuKenny and wcu80 like this.
  2. Motleydrunk56

Motleydrunk56 Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2014 California

The Bruery Tart of Darkness.It became Drain Pour.$20.00 down the drain.

3. mikecharley

mikecharley Disciple (393) Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

The biggest one for me personally was Cantillon Blåbær. Had a bottle next to fou and rose, and blåbær didn't stand up to either...

4. BigOldOaf

BigOldOaf Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2011 Massachusetts

I had PtE for the first time this summer fresh at the brewery, and didn't get the hype. While it's an excellent beer and wouldn't turn one down, I didn't think it was the most impressive IPA. Same with KBS, Sucaba, and Ten Fidy. I've found about half the big hype beers I've tried deserve the credit they get.

5. bigotecircus

bigotecircus Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Colorado

Hands down, Sculpin. Not at all impressed...

GolfingGq likes this.
  6. M-14

M-14 Initiate (124) Feb 5, 2014 California

Didn't get Sucaba the first or second time I had it... but on the third try, I realized it is the equivalent of liquid crack, and deserving of the reputation.

deford likes this.
  7. jaydoc

jaydoc Poo-Bah (4,258) Nov 12, 2008 Kansas
    Society Trader

I have to agree with you in that Dark Lord hasn't been overwhelming. It certainly is a great beer, but hasn't delivered on the ballyhoo.

8. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Should have got Pliny the Younger

deford likes this.
  9. Clibb

Clibb Initiate (67) Jun 23, 2013 New Jersey

Hopslam was def one for me a real nice beer but other breweries are putting out easily accessible amazing dipas the other for me was heady the one can I had tasted like straight burnt buttered popcorn and it was fresh so disappointed but did score a few focal bangers that were amaze so I guess that stands for something

10. Chrispy

Chrispy Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2012 Washington

Hommage, tasted like cherry cough syrup. I would never trade for it again.

11. markextrae

markextrae Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Netherlands

mocha wednesday.... incredible smell but a bit of a let down taste wise.... and not a real whale... but abraxas... to much of a cinnamon bomb. i woul chose huna instead any day

NHbeerguy likes this.
  12. markextrae

markextrae Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Netherlands

serious? I think hommage is real great. maybe you had the first batch wich wasn't properly cellard?

13. Smileitsfreetobehappy

Smileitsfreetobehappy Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2014 Alaska

its cute. what peoples definitions of a whale is. lets set our sights higher :grinning:

14. Keffa

Keffa Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

Well, considering the only remotely close to "whale" status beers I've had are Rare and BBVBDL, I can't say much, because they were both amazing.

15. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

How many BA's who use the term "whale" when referring to rare beers use the same term when referring to + size women?

16. themind

themind Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey

One mans whale is another mans herring. It's subjective IMO

17. lonewolf371

lonewolf371 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2014 Michigan

Poor Hopslam. It's a mass-produced DIPA and doesn't even really deserve "whale" status. Treat it like any other DIPA.

KBS is my most disappointing hard-to-get beer. The Bruery Sucre is the most disappointing beer that I've spent a lot of money on.

On the plus side, I got a "whale" Speedway Stout recently and thought it lived up to the hype. I loved it.

18. kgncfl

kgncfl Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2013 Washington

I love these kinds of posts.

The definition of whales is 100% subjective. To you these aren't whales, that is great you have been around the block a bit. To others who may be new to the craft scene, may not want to trade, or have the means to trade, or live far away from a certain beer this type of limited beer is a whale to them. When you first started out I'll bet you hunted down beers that you now don't even worry about. All perspective.

Same thing as the term "rich." If someone is a millionaire rich likely means billionaire, but to the vast majority of people that millionaire looks rich.

Just because you don't believe it is a whale to you, doesn't mean it is a whale to somebody. Don't make this discussion about yourself. You could just move along. This post adds nothing other than a veiled humblebrag.

19. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (280) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Isn't everything in life "subjective"? Doesn't mean something cannot be more clearly defined.

And by the looks of it I was not the only person who made the same statement about PTE and Dark Lord not being a Whale so let's dial back the sass a little bit eh?

Cheers.

ASak10 likes this.
  20. kgncfl

A lot in life is subjective, but not everything. The title of the thread is "Your Epic Whale Fail." All I'm saying is that whales can be different for different people, and in fact the thread is specifically speaking to what that individual's epic whale fail is, not what your epic whale fail is, or mine, but that individual's whale.

As for the sass, your initial post was quite sassy don't you think? That you can't be bothered to read along because you have a higher definition of whales than others?

There were also plenty of people who said their whale was Pliny or Dark Lord which to them it is. Actually I've never had Dark Lord myself, and for now at this moment it is a whale (aka one of my top wants right now) I haven't landed.

While I did pick out your post, my first comment clearly said "these kinds of posts" which infers that I was talking about all posts that were like that and not just your post. And just because other people jumped in to state that the beers were not whales, doesn't mean it is the best approach, or adds to the discussion.

Not sure what your post adds to the discussion. Why don't you tell us your epic whale fail?

Here's mine:

While not a whale to some of the BA community, I was out in VT in search for Heady on one of my first beercations. I went from store to store, having trouble finding it. The next morning after getting some hunting tips from a couple of locals at the bar I went and found some Heady, but left a couple of plain white labelled beers sitting there on the shelves. Yep it was Lawon's. Still kick myself for passing on that, and while I've had my share of Lawson's since then I still haven't tried the Fayston Maple Imp Stout.

21. kgncfl

Oops I didn't answer the question correctly.

For me the most disappointing whale that I've had was Double Sunshine. A decent beer, but not in the same realm as some of the other top DIPAs I have enjoyed.

22. Chief005

Chief005 Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2013 Florida

Keep on trying, I'm sure your snarky little comments will show the heathens the light eventually.

And by that, I mean why doesn't the "not a whale" crowd contribute to the thread instead of just trying to cut people down?

#342 Chief005, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    Ckoz likes this.
  23. Chrispy

Chrispy Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2012 Washington

Seriously. Batch 2 at an event the Shelton Brothers importers put on. To me this whole whale fail discussion is ultimately about hyped up beers vs actual taste which some other users have mentioned.. To me hommage was one of those beers, something I was told was soo so so so good and amazing by people who had batch one. All I and a handful of other people could taste was cherry cough syrup. Some others thought it was more raspberry than cherry forward. Either way it was just an okay lambic to me and not the amazing rare hard to get lambic people hyped it up to be.

rightcoast7 likes this.
  24. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (553) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

For me the all praised Heady Topper--perhaps not on the scale of rarity but hype.
    Really good IPA/IIPA--sure. Was a week old.
    Whale or whatever folks call it--- worth lines and friends going out of their way?--not a chance.

Rather have a Wicked Weak Freak any day of the week.
    Nelson (which is equally hard for me to get) --a 20 to 1 favorite.
    All opinions.

rightcoast7 and oldgrowth like this.
  25. briang01

briang01 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2009 Maryland

Not really an epic fail, but whenever I went to Dark Lord day I would always buy the max allotment, drink one pretty quickly and age the rest...

I am finding that I like them better fresh and wish I would have had them at the 1 year mark. I am sitting on about 5-6 now that are 3-4 years old, including a brandy/vanilla aged one that I will probably wish I would have had sooner.

26. IWannaEatFood

IWannaEatFood Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 California

Huna. So disappointing. I got 2 at the same time and the second has just been sitting. Might try to french press it with some dark roast and cacao.

kerry4porters likes this.
  27. Bobb222

Bobb222 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Missouri

I love all the complaints about such and such beers not being whales. Clearly its an subjective beer geek term but I don't see why there can't be discussion of whales without conforming to the white whale list. Whale does not have to mean white whale. There can be different tiers and there are many hard to find beers that a large portion of the community considers 'whales', even if they are not the whitest of the white.

Geuzedad, Friendlyfire and montman like this.
  28. matedog

matedog Initiate (49) Jan 25, 2010 California

Toronado 20 (as of a few months ago) was seriously underwhelming, as was CC 08 (same tasting, though Cable Car 12 was fucking tasty), Heady wasn't particularly special, and also had Blabaer next to Le Bleu and Beauregarde and it didn't really stick out next to those two.

29. FutureJack

FutureJack Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2007 California

Nope. Sorry man. If you haven't had Thomme Arthur's or Vinnie Cilurzo's first batch of homebrew, aged on Wormwood planks for 32 years, you are a $&^%#ing novice.

30. KCBeerNerd

KCBeerNerd Disciple (385) Dec 20, 2013 Missouri

Leon Batch 1 for me was an epic fail when I had it a couple months ago.

31. zillano9

zillano9 Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2013 New York

I guess Dark Lord isn't truly a 'whale' but IMO it was the worst tasting beer I've ever had that wasn't infected or homebrew. Awful.

dbannister likes this.
  32. Sarge3130

Sarge3130 Initiate (0) May 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

BA aged Abraxas. Really good beer but thought DB Hunahpu was miles ahead. I think I actually liked regular Abraxas better.

rightcoast7 likes this.
  33. montman

montman Devotee (406) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Come on this is an internet forum, unfortunetly for some, condescension by showing you are superior is the default posting attitude.
    Continuing with the trend, although I enjoyed drinking Zombie Dust (not a real whale) quite a bit, I was so excited to finally get some, but after trying it I wouldnt place it nearly as a top 20 beer as it is on BA.

34. a77cj7

a77cj7 Poo-Bah (1,800) May 7, 2010 South Dakota
    Society

No real whales that were horrible.

Abyss 09 was very disappointing (infected)
    I haven't enjoyed the BCBS fruited variants nearly as much as expected. Well, Bramble and Backyard anyways, haven't opened my one bottle of Cherry Rye yet.

35. JISurfer

JISurfer Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

By far, Lolita was disgusting. Tasted like flat cough syrup.

36. jayhoppin

jayhoppin Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 California

I'm to that point where if I don't remember it then it was an ok beer.

Nayr likes this.
  37. Friendlyfire

Friendlyfire Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Virginia

I feel weird for even responding to a post this old but...doesn't Chillwave have quite a bit of that honey sweetness? I thought I remembered it being rather sweet last time I had it. Don't even know why I replied, I just remembered another Midwest area IPA that was sweet. Please disregard.

38. smellandsip37

smellandsip37 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2011 North Carolina

Hopslam. It was nice, but there are others from Bell's that are just as good if not better. I also did not have the same experience with Smooth Criminal as most. This might have a lot to do with what it took to get some (I like on the east coast). My biggest letdown was Black Ops, used to but a case each year, and last two years have traded all but maybe two bottles.

39. isunktheship

isunktheship Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2013 California

Agreed.. love it, hate it, or .. meh!

Following standard normal distribution 68% of my (untapped) reviews fall between 2 and 4.. superior beers earning a 4.5, and legendary nailing a 5.0. I need to track down more stereotypical white whales.

40. Wiskey_33

Wiskey_33 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2014 Georgia

HopSlam, though not of "Whale" status, was a complete disappointment. So many folks who've never tired better think of this as "the shit" for some reason…different minds perhaps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.