Your Favorite Pilsners

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greyghost86

greyghost86 Aspirant (284) Apr 22, 2012 Delaware

Love Prima Pils By Victory, Sunshine Pils by Troegs, and Sly Fox....damn, I must be from the Southeast PA area. Need to try some of the West Coast Pils.

19etz55 likes this.
  2. BradenMK

BradenMK Aspirant (269) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

The. Crisp.

SweetChicken likes this.
  3. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,516) May 21, 2013 California
    Trader

stephens101 likes this.
  4. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Since its possible to say "SAAZ" in 20 foot high letters without using those same letters to beat peoples tastebuds back about their head and shoulders for them with the letters, I'd agree that Pilsners are all about the hops, just in a very different flavor profile than IPAs. I'd also suggest that the range of German brewed Pils beers and US brewed Pils beers overlap a lot more in terms of balance than many people give them credit for and that over the last 20-30 years the hop-range or bitterness level of German Pils has drifted a ways downwards from where it once was as tastes have changed. But hop flavors are so much more than the bitterness.

#124 drtth, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    AlcahueteJ and TongoRad like this.
  5. stephens101

stephens101 Poo-Bah (2,294) May 5, 2006 Oklahoma

Paulaner and Urquell are hard to beat for the real thing. I'll drink the shit out of those in the summer. Live Oak Pils (Kurmaraja beat me to this one) is exceptionally tasty for a Merican' Pils. Little Yella and Victory Pils too.

Doomcifer likes this.
  6. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Zealot (537) Nov 5, 2013 California

My favorite pilsner is Victory Braumeister Pils, but you can only get it at the brewery. I really wish they bottled it.

19etz55 likes this.
  7. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,100) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

If you are referring to a beer like Prima Pils, I have been drinking pilsners in Germany and the U.S. for nearly 30 years now, and nothing I (or apparently Jim Busch from Victory as well) ever tasted over there is nearly as hoppy. Why you and some others would seem to continue to insist otherwise is beyond me.

#127 herrburgess, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  8. herrburgess

Industry

They distribute it in kegs, too. I had some down here in SC a couple of years back.

ArsMoriendiOU818 likes this.
  9. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I'm actually neither thinking about nor referring to Prima Pils, which many agree is an outlier.

Edit: And just FYI, you are not the only person in the world who had the opportunity to drink German beers in Germany 30 years ago.

JackHorzempa and YamBag like this.
  10. herrburgess

Industry

OK. My apologies then.

11. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,345) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

12. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,530) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

I liked The Crisp a lot.

13. jsouza

jsouza Devotee (456) Nov 19, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society

I have really enjoyed the Moat's German Pilsner.

14. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Zealot (549) Aug 11, 2013 California
    Trader

Pivo Pils!

Premo88 likes this.
  15. WillieThreebiers

WillieThreebiers Poo-Bah (5,007) Apr 26, 2012 Connecticut
    Society

Hop Ticket Dry Hopped Pils

16. irishstoutlvr

irishstoutlvr Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2012 North Carolina

Foothills Brewing Torch Pilsner. Nice, refreshing beer. It is made in Winston Salem, NC

17. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,087) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I still find Dortmunders to be on the maltier side (almost like an imperial Helles to me, but I'd NEVER call it that).

After sending my post, I realize I'm looking at this from the point of view of an American. I've slammed myself over the head with hops so much the last decade it's hard for me to consider a pilsner a "hop forward" beer.

I actually found Weihenstephan's on draft recently to be on the hoppier side compared to the German imports I've sampled. This was more present as the beer warmed, and in the finish.

As far as Czech pilsners go, I've always found the IBUs (and accompanying bitterness) well hidden in this style, offering a softer hop profile than the German versions. Despite the fact the label always indicates otherwise. But as @drtth has previously mentioned, there's more to hops than IBUs and bitterness. It actually reminds me a lot of the pilsners I drank in 2011 in Munich.

bushycook and TongoRad like this.
  18. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,270) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

This was the basic point I was trying to make above.

And this, the bigger point. Although I understand the perspective of a Pilsner being "hop forward," it's far from what most Amis consider a hoppy beer -- and probably why I like the Pilsner as my hoppy go-to.

TongoRad likes this.
  19. Flashy

Flashy Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

Is that what I see them drinking on "Corner Gas"?!

20. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Devotee (491) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

21. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Summerfest. Gallons and gallons of Summerfest.

bushycook and Premo88 like this.
  22. kennyg

kennyg Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2007 Illinois

23. kennyg

kennyg Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2007 Illinois

24. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (112) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

There's an ineffable something about the original pilsners that always keeps them in a class of their own for me, compared to US ones. Not better or worse, just two distinct types. Old World I'm always going to reach for a Pilsner Urquell, espesh if fresh and ALWAYS on draft. Bitburger is probably my favorite German pils, I had a fresh can recently and it was divine. A perfect pilsner isn't just refreshing, it's soothing, it's relaxing. It's great beer.

US I'm partial to all of the PA pilsners, Prima from Victory but their other lesser seen ones even more, the CBC pilsners, all the Braumeister spin-offs, Hip Czech, their new Hop Ticket Pilsner...I LOVE that they spend so much in the pilsner world, experimenting and innovating.

Sly Fox + Stoudts both have seriously solid pilsners that I'll drink any time they're around.

I wish Dogfish did their Piercing Pils in the summer, I could use one right about now.

We have hot summers here in the Philly area. It's important that our pilsners are spot on.

Doomcifer, priwen and Providence like this.
  25. WVbeergeek

WVbeergeek Poo-Bah (4,857) Sep 24, 2002 West Virginia

26. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (288) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

The modern brewing specs for Helles, Dortmunder and Pilsener doesn't leave alot of room for differentiation beyond a 11-12% wort strenght, 4.8-5.2% abv and 20-30 IBUs. The historical, relative difference in hopping rates inbetween the styles still exists, but our understanding of what constitutes a hoppy vs less hoppy lager beer, and more importantly a bitter vs less bitter beer, has changed alongside the process of standardization.

Some modern Czech Pilsner beers have quite low IBU values, like Budejovicky Budvar (23 IBU) and Staropramen (21 IBU). Pilsner Urquell has a higher IBU value (34), but is of course less attenuated than most other pilsner beers at 4.4% abv.

27. Handle

Handle Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2009 North Carolina

We have some good ones in NC. Chief among them is The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery's Captain James Jack Pilsner. I also like Mother Earth Brewing's newly-canned Park Day Pilsner, and Raleigh Brewing's Moravian Rhapsody.

Big fan of Summerfest, too, and was surprised to see its score is fairly low here on BA.

28. ricke49

ricke49 Initiate (0) May 2, 2004 Oregon

Heater - Allen PILS from McMinnville Oregon is superb, if you can find it. One bomber just about 'sets you up' !!

mudbug likes this.
  29. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Initiate (137) Jul 1, 2009 United Kingdom (Scotland)

I disagree completely. A pils should have you smacking your lips with its bitterness and enjoying the herbal, minty noble hop aroma.

There are hundreds of poor, under-hopped pilsners on the market.

StLeasy and TongoRad like this.
  30. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Radenberger
    Konig (old time sake)
    Rothaus Tannenzapfle

If only Pilsner Urquell and Jever were what they were...

TongoRad likes this.
  31. EcurbTheProphet

EcurbTheProphet Initiate (70) Jun 12, 2014 Washington

Jupiler

Pilsner Urquell

32. Flibber

Flibber Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

Hmm, not sure really. Maybe Augstiner Pils is a bit similar.

33. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,198) Jan 2, 2001 Ontario (Canada)

Prima Pils, Jever, Bitburger, Czechvar...period.

34. Valleyview06

Valleyview06 Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

Victory Dry Hopped Pils!

35. briang01

briang01 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2009 Maryland

Maybe I got a bad keg/pour but I wanted to pour mine out... which I think is odd given the hype the beer has gotten on this site and the fact I've only had that urge a few times in my life.

36. schnarr84

schnarr84 Devotee (491) Nov 27, 2011 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

Indeed it is. It's the national beer of Saskatchewan :slight_smile:

Flashy likes this.
  37. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Poo-Bah (2,439) Jun 14, 2012 Texas

Sixpoint The Crisp
    Sierra Nevada Summerfest
    Abita Seersucker Summer Pils

19etz55 likes this.
  38. Icarus

Icarus Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 Minnesota

Prima Pils
    Schells Pils

Love a good Pilsner

19etz55 likes this.
  39. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,648) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Now you got me checking Beer Menus to see where I can get a glass! That sounds absolutely fantastic. Too many beers, too little time these days...

(ETA- Hot damn! It's at Beer Authority. It's my first glass next time I'm there.)

Also- I picked up a few Pilsners today: Prima Pils (because it's been a while, and I'd like to revisit it to see if I still think it's an outlier), and Saranac Wild Hop Pils (just to see how Saranac pulls it off). Will try to report back.

#160 TongoRad, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    utopiajane and steveh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.