Your favorite regional AALs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by deleted_user_1007501, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (318) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Since I'm always intrigued by attempts at recreating beers I did some sleuthing. It sounds like it is based on documentation from 1948 (lab reports). 4.7% abv, flaked corn, caramel malt, Nugget, Cluster and Fuggles hops, Weihenstephaner yeast (based on the labels shown on Heurich house website it's 34/70).

About the corn:
    About the hops:

Squire, jesskidden and seakayak like this.
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,113) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, post-Repeal "1948" sound more likely - pre-Prohibition Heurich claimed that the "Senate Beer" (as well as their Maerzen) was all malt. In that era, they brewed at least 4 different beers - based on price, I'd guess the "Lager" was adjunct-brewed.
    [​IMG]
    Although this claim in the linked DC Beer article is a bit hyperbolic:
    Dozens of beer brands "ran" as long or longer than those 70-80 years (many still existing today), but, like Senate Beer, the recipes usually changed over the decades.

3. Crusader

As per the book The Nation's Capital Brewmaster sales started to decrease in 1947 and they got a new brewmaster who found that they had an infection in the brewery. They sent samples to Wallerstein Laboratories from 1946-49 and the reports showed normal analytic characteristics but many of the samples had a disagreeable taste. The source of the problem was apparently found in one of the aging cellars, It's those reports which they are referring to I imagine. I wonder if they discussed the brewing process in those reports, trying to find the source of the problem.

I have a report from a Swedish brewing laboratory from 1938 with a list of samples and the result of bacteriological examination of those samples. In the margins the brewer has added written notes about where the sample was from. For one of the samples (sample 2) it is noted "tank 27 brew 20-23", for that brew the laboratory notes "clear, quite small deposit of culture yeast and some wild yeast". The wild yeast is underlined with red. Then for another sample (sample 11) there's a note of "1/3 liter bottle from packaging brew 20/23". The laboratory noted the sample was "clear, quite small deposit of yeast spots, culture and some wild yeast". I take this to mean that they were able to draw a connection between wild yeast found in the packaged beer from brews 20-23 and tank 27. Maybe a similar process was undertaken by the Heurich brewery (I imagine the difference in size of the breweries, and number of cellars and tanks likely involved, the problem was much more complex in the case of Heurich).

[​IMG]

Bitterbill, Squire, Ranbot and 2 others like this.
  4. Crusader

Apparently they introduced a brand called Original Lager Beer in 1955 which was sold as an old time beer, in the ad below it is noted that the beer uses rice.[​IMG]

5. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (120) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

So, people even back then were noting that American beer was losing its flavor...At least so much so that brewers used it as an advertising gimmick that their beer was better because it was “old fashion.”

Things never change.

Crusader likes this.
  6. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,174) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

If forced to choose, I'd probably say Night Shift Nite Lite, quickly followed by Narragansett.

Honorable mentions:
    • Olympia
    • Stag
    • Utica Club
    • Schaefer (I agree @FatBoyGotSwagger , criminally underrated AAL in my opinion)
    • Natty Boh
    • Lone Star
    • Champagne Velvet (doesn't really count because it's not quite regional anymore and it's not really an AAL)

I've been wanting to try: Rainier, Grain Belt, Rhinelander

7. tzieser

Trader

@EmperorBatman may I also suggest, Champagne Velvet by Upland Brewing. According to this shitty distribution map, Washington DC gets Upland products. I purchased a couple six packs last time I was in MA (per the same map NJ gets their stuff but I have yet to come across it)

8. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (93) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,841) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Thanks for the tip. I have not seen Champagne Velvet in my area but I will keep an eye out for it.

According to the Beer Menus website the closest place to me that has it is 86 miles away in NYC:

“Milk and Hops Chelsea

86.0 miles away · 166 9th Avenue, New York, NY 10011

Beer Store · Menu Updated: 10/08/2019

16oz Can $3.75”

https://www.beermenus.com/beers/30159-upland-champagne-velvet

Cheers!

JediMasterLenin and tzieser like this.
  10. tzieser

Trader

No problem, that's a bummer. I think you'd like the beer. It comes in 12oz cans now, too, which I appreciate. Maybe try reaching out to their customer service team on their "contact us" page they can point you in the right direction via your ZIP code or something. Let me know if you ever get around to trying it, curious as to your thoughts.

JediMasterLenin likes this.
  11. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (120) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

That name rings a bell, I’ve seen it on draft at some restaurants around town. I’ll look more diligently for it, and report back!

tzieser likes this.
  12. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,599) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

It's very inconsistent. It's local to me and batch variances are easily noticeable. Upland seems to have put all their time, money & focus on high dollar sours in 500mL bottles. Most of their original recipes are retired, including some very good beers that do not generate the profits that barrel aged sours can. If you are really interested in trying champagne velvet, DM me and I'll grab some fresh while passing through Bloomington, test it and send it along.

JediMasterLenin and JackHorzempa like this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Society

Needless to say that is disappointing to hear.
    That is a very generous offer you made here!

I sent a message to Upland asking if this beer is available for sale near me. I have not heard back. I will get back to you once I have heard back from the brewery.

Cheers!

jkblr and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  14. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,770) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hamm's Always Hamm's.

miwestcoaster and Bitterbill like this.
  15. Brook82

Brook82 Initiate (144) Oct 21, 2018 Ohio

If you grew up and went to college in the Midwest, Stroh's was a favorite. It was long bought out by PBR, but still a good AAL. Cheers!

miwestcoaster and Bitterbill like this.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,461) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

tzieser and JackHorzempa like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Society

tzieser and Bitterbill like this.
  18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,461) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

A good question to ask Upland, I reckon.

tzieser likes this.
  19. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,013) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

Grain Belt and Hamm's.

20. tzieser

Trader

I know you weren’t asking me directly, but on the 3 occasions I’ve bought it, it’s been of consistent quality. My only minor criticism is that it just felt maybe a little too heavy-handed on the hops but I’m admittedly fairly inexperienced with the style. That being said: big fan of the beer and would recommend it to anyone.

21. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,572) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Having grown up in California, I’m not sure we have a “regional” AAL?

HaoleBoy, nc41 and thesherrybomber like this.
  22. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (3,408) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Unfortunately there isn’t a local adjunct here in LA/OC. Before I became a BA I drank tons of Pabst, and still enjoy one every now and then today. Looking at my AAL list, I like Narragansett, Hamm’s, Stoh’s, and Founders Solid Gold. If anyone wants to send me their local AAL to review, have at it! (I’d love to try Schlitz original recipe, Lone Star, Stag, and Olympia!)

23. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, Lucky Lager is back... they haven't put the billboards back up?
    [​IMG]
    (like so many of the above, another Pabst-owned brand*). It was the best selling beer in California in the 40s through the 50s - had around 20-25% of the market.

Before that, Acme was the biggest - a label currently owned by North Coast but they don't brew it as an AAL. Eastside, Burgermeister and Rainier (brewed in SF, not the Seattle brewing company) were also pre-WWII big CA brands. After the War into the mid-50s, big eastern brewers moved into the state buying or building breweries - Pabst, Schlitz, AB, Goebel, Hamm, Rheingold... even Lucky Lager's General Brewing Co. was about 50% owned by Labatt.

*Although, the company that evolved into the modern Pabst Brewing Co. has owned the Lucky Lager brand longer than the Pabst Blue Ribbon brand. Paul Kalmanovitz of the S&P Corp and owner of L.A.'s Maier Brewing Co. (Brew 102) bought Lucky Lager/General Brewing Co. in the 1960s, then Falstaff and Pearl in the 1970s and finally Pabst in the 1980s.

24. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 Initiate (102) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin

Old Milwaukee, Grain Belt and Blatz

25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,630) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Tough when SN is your equivalent , it’s fairly priced, and it’s available everywhere and fresh.

ChicagoJ and TrojanRB like this.
  26. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,572) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Didn’t hurt that my Aunt worked at the brewery when I was growing up either!

Every party and family get together was always SN. It lived in our fridge. Still does.

nc41 and Bitterbill like this.
  27. defunksta

defunksta Savant (947) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

Founder's Solid Gold is the best I've had at least here in the Midwest. Theirs is darn near the best in terms of adjunct lagers.

28. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Not a "legacy brand" like most of those previously mentioned, but definitely regional... any time I was in MD or VA this summer I enjoyed Social Lager from Oliver Brewing. It was a perfect, crisp, clean, yet flavorful beer. I have no idea if it was an AAL or not... Could have easily been all malt, but I can't even find any mention of it on the brewers web site.

29. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,599) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

I'm the one who mentioned inconsistency. My first review in 2017 noted no off flavors or flaws. I've had a few samples since that were definitely off and tasted of incomplete fermentation. If I can find some fresh, without the two hour drive, I'll pick it up. I'm afraid that they can or bottle when the schedule says, instead of when it's ready, but that's only a theory.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  30. Steins_68

Steins_68 Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Illinois

I seek out Yuengling every time I go back east. Love it!!!!

thesherrybomber and Peach63 like this.
  31. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (122) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

PBR, Hamm's, occasionally High Life. Lately I've been enjoying Coors Banquet.

Brook82 and Squire like this.
  32. tone77

tone77 Poo-Bah (6,513) May 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Wow, just that mention of the Brewer's Outlet in Woodlyn brings back so many memories. That was my fathers favorite store, and I went there on a regular basis growing up. I was 13 when the older brother of one of my friends starting getting beer for us there. The $4 per case that I remember was Gibbons beer. Damn, it kind of sucked, but we could afford it. We moved on to much better $6 cases after that.

pudgym29 and JackHorzempa like this.
  33. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,971) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Lone Star

Peach63 likes this.
  34. jesskidden

Society Trader

Reading, Valley Forge and Gibbons? :grin: You guys (or your surrogates) should have been shopping the B.O.'s other aisles - I seldom even took my handtruck down the 16 oz'er row. Granted I had a job and was shopping for stuff I couldn't score at home, not for "bang for my buck" - after all the gasoline I burned to get there had jumped to over 50¢/gallon and that toll bridge on Rt. 1 might have been a quarter.

This was the beer menu of the Brewers Outlet a couple of miles over the Delaware from Trenton that I frequented. (Looks like the jpeg was previously edited to highlight the ales and dark beers available in the 1970s - hey, looks like I missed Old Chicago Dark when I did it. Tasty stuff that only last a few years after Huber re-opened Chicago's Meister Brau brewery under the old name of "Peter Hand". Miller had bought their primary labels when they closed.).
    [​IMG]

#74 jesskidden, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    pudgym29, Bitterbill, jkblr and 2 others like this.
  35. Peach63

Peach63 Zealot (578) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

That's one I've wanted to try. I passed through the panhandle a couple years ago on my way to Arizona. Stopped in a convenience mart and looked for it with no luck. :slight_frown:

Premo88 likes this.
  36. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,462) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Narragansett is a brewery I have always wanted try, but the are not in the trade forum (ever).

New Oberpfalz is a small German themed lager forward brewery. Their Helles Lager and Oktoberfest are special.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/40185/

For being lager forward, I was surprised to learn that they don’t do an AAL.

Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  37. jesskidden

Society Trader

The current AAL Narragansett Lager is contract-brewed by Genesee in their multi-million barrel capacity facility and is distributed to much of the east coast (much further than the original Narrangasett brewery probably ever did, even though the original company was much larger than the reborn version).

While the beer may never show up as trade bait in a Trade thread, I suspect an "ISO" request would likely get you more beer than you can reasonably consume.:grin: Pretty sure I've seen 30 packs for around $25.

38. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,630) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I grew up in Langhorne and moved to Morrisville in 1972, and at the ripe age of 16 we lived in the Trenton bars. Most places had Bud and Schaefer on tap, the odd one maybe Schlitz or Michelob. I didn’t do too much take out though, mainly bought at Deons in Levittown definitely in the hard case 16 oz Aisle. It was always a bit of a game to see how low you could go in terms or price vs quality. I don’t remember any light beer being a thing until maybe 74/75.

Premo88 likes this.
  39. HaoleBoy

HaoleBoy Devotee (467) Mar 3, 2017 California
    Society

I was just thinking the same thing.
    I did live in Hawaii for 20 years and Primo was undrinkable ... even as an 18-year-old.

nc41, TrojanRB and thesherrybomber like this.
  40. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Aspirant (287) Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

Is Lionshead still around in PA? Used to drinking cases of that.

And although I don't enjoy the flavor, American Light will always have a special place in my memories of high school.