Your favorite session IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beerded_drunk, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zetcha7x

Zetcha7x Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Pennsylvania

Though I prefer my IPAs doubled rather than sessioned. I just had Victory's 19th Anniversary Session IPA and it got me wondering who has the best session IPA? I'm sure this question has been posted before, but what are your thoughts?

2. Phocion

Phocion Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 Minnesota

I don't really like this "style," but I am definitely a fan of Ballast Point's Even Keel.

3. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,569) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Hopefully, session IPAs will go the way of the dodo very soon.

4. Blanco

Blanco Defender (603) Oct 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

All Day IPA for me.

TylerKitchens and AricGresko like this.
  5. printer1

printer1 Initiate (157) Aug 29, 2005 Iowa
    Trader

Good luck with that. All Day IPA is by far Founders leading seller. Why would you want a style to go away just because you don't like it? What the hell, just post a list of styles you would like to see go away, cause they aren't for you.

Ndfan1323, MNAle, Donkster46 and 3 others like this.
  6. --Dom--

--Dom-- Aspirant (258) Dec 22, 2012 Missouri

My thoughts are: unless session Ipa's are priced 2/3rds of what regular Ipa's are, I will continue to scoff at them.... :astonished: I just don't understand why they are all solidly priced at $10 when you are getting less alcohol and flavor for your money. The brewer is using less grain and less hops and charging more?... What the hell kind of Jedi mind-trick are they using here? In the mean time I will continue to drink Torpedo... my session beer. God bless America

WCKDVBZ and pagriley like this.
  7. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,326) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

8. Phocion

Phocion Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 Minnesota

Unfortunately, materials make up a relatively small part of the cost of beer. A session and standard IPA share the same packaging, labor, shipping, marketing, and tax costs, not to mention distributor and retail mark-ups. I remember seeing an article posted on here a couple months ago saying the average cost of all the materials in a beer made up less than 10% of its total cost*. In other words, they should be closer to 2-3% cheaper.

*Barley/yeast/hops anyway. There are exceptions for many much more expensive adjuncts.

a74gent, BrewGator and --Dom-- like this.
  9. vacax

vacax Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2008 California

Easy Jack and Kern River both are pretty solid. With the style it really just depends what is fresh and hopefully nearby.

Jordanpaterson08 likes this.
  10. marquis

marquis Crusader (792) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

My friends over the pond don't all seem to understand "session beer". It's a beer intended for consumption in serial pints so there are two unnegotiable factors
    1. Very low ABV , generally accepted to be below 4%
    2. Reasonable balance so that after drinking your introductory pint you want another of the same.And you can drink the same beer all night without tiring of it even though there may be other beers on tap.In any case a decent well brewed session beer develops through the session with each pint tasting more and better than the one before.

Nobody has defined a "session" but it surely has to be more than just three or four drinks to qualify , it originally meant as long as the pub stayed open.

11. TheBeerbarian

TheBeerbarian Initiate (0) May 29, 2014 California

Pizza Port brews a pretty solid SIPA ...

[​IMG]

KarmicSkrambl8 likes this.
  12. LeeEvolved

LeeEvolved Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2010 Virginia

I haven't had a ton, but I would buy Upland's Campside IPA all day long if I had easy access. So tasty.

SmashPants likes this.
  13. Keffa

Keffa Defender (605) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

I had Slow Ride from New Belgium tonight. I really dug it, YMMV.

14. zxtwou2

zxtwou2 Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2014 Illinois

Stone's Go To IPA is by far my favorite session....which I appreciate as a style, because sometimes I don't want to take a nap in the mid afternoon due to a beer at lunch. I always get drowsy from lunch beers, but the session IPAs don't wipe me out. I think it's worth every bit the price of everything else offered at the restaurants I go to over lunch...because it has way more flavor! It's easily "hoppier" than most of the regular IPAs on the bottle list at say Red Robin (where my classmates typically pick for lunch).

15. BowWowWowYippyYoIPA

BowWowWowYippyYoIPA Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2014 California

Easy Jack tops my list, followed by Ponto and Daytime. Slowride from New Belgium is actually quite good, which surprised me because I had never been impressed by NB's hoppy offerings. Also, if you asked David Walker he'd tell you Pale 31 is the original Session IPA, and I'd have to agree with him (It fits the mold of a SIPA much better than an American Pale Ale). I love Pale 31, but it might take a full session for me to decide if I liked it better than Easy Jack.

Donkster46 likes this.
  16. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,620) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

This is a tough one.... I like Session IPAs and or lower ABV brews all together. I'm not trying to be a Homer, yet Burley Oak's Afternoon Delight is my favorite. It's 2.9% and is full on Hop Assault.

17. miketd

miketd Zealot (527) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Trader

It's 5 percent, so don't know if it is truly a "session" IPA, but the last batch of Fat Head's Sunshine Daydream was great.

18. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (105) Dec 6, 2014 California

Stone Go To is not only the best session IPA I know of, but also one of Stone's best beers. I think it tops their regular IPA and Ruination. It's extremely hoppy, bright, piney, forward aromatically, bitter, citrusy, with very low malt base. Just how I like my IPAs. Daytime is another really good one, as is Pizza Port's.

19. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

This is the answer.

20. italynstallyn44

italynstallyn44 Initiate (56) Jan 29, 2011 New Jersey

I'll second this vote for Carton Boat beer. It has every bit as much flavor as a "normal" IPA.

HopBomb515 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  21. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Boulevard pop-up IPA is delightful.

satisfied1013 and JeremyDanner like this.
  22. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (364) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Notch Left of the Dial

[​IMG]

SmashPants, Donkster46 and MistahBeah like this.
  23. rozzom

rozzom Champion (851) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Edward

I know

SmashPants and afrokaze like this.
  24. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

I like lakefront's extended play (and its only 4.2%). I am not crazy about session IPAs, but am glad they are being made. Some night I prefer not to have a 300 calorie drink.

Donkster46 likes this.
  25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,991) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I should like a low malt style IPA, but I don't. Overly bitter with really not much else going on, I'd rather drink 2 regular IPA's than 4 of these.

SmashPants likes this.
  26. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,532) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Two Roads Lil Heaven, no doubt.

27. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Crusader (725) Oct 18, 2009 New York
    Trader

The best is Lawson's Super Session (Citra) but it's only been made once. I'm not sure it's posssible to make a better session beer. HF Walden is also a great but also hard to get. As far as a beer that's can that's easier to get I would say Boat Beer.

SmashPants likes this.
  28. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (10,544) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

It may be regional bias, but I like Boulevard's Pop Up Session IPA and Schlafly's Can Sessions IPA. Both are affordable and great brews to crack open early in the afternoon on a hot summer day.

JuicesFlowing and JeremyDanner like this.
  29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,991) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

My last trip into VT Lawson had a session IPA that was Citra, maybe two years ago, and if they can't do it well no one can. Pure bitter hop juice, talk about palate fatigue, it defeats the session idea to begin with. I don't think it was called Super Session then, but it has a summer kinda name, just can't remember. But Lawson does hops right, and it's just not a style lent to have little to no malt.

30. KarmicSkrambl8

KarmicSkrambl8 Disciple (377) Dec 21, 2014 California

Due to altered palate and twisted psyche...I must go with SN Hoptimum..

generally, my "sessions' are shorter...(but tastier....and more fun)

SmashPants and pjvie like this.
  31. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

do your apples keep longer in that jar, or is it for presentation purposes?

32. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,049) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Because breweries are wasting valuable fermenter space with this crap. They should be focusing more on being creative rather than following trends. Every session IPA I've had has left me wanting a real IPA instead. Still haven't had Victory's but I don't see how it could be any less underwhelming than Go To, Even Keel, All Day (the only one that comes close to being satisfying though), Slow Ride, Pinner or the horrible Farmer's Tan. Even Carton's Boat Beer started out great but halfway through the can I was like "Give me something real!"

33. pjvie

pjvie Initiate (184) May 30, 2014 Oregon

I like this definition; it makes what I imagine sessions should be. And perhaps this is the reason I am unimpressed by session beers. Nothing ever holds my attention. I'd rather sip on something interesting than have a few of something boring. Beers like All Day IPA lose my interest after the first few sips.

Many people talk about the future of the session IPA, and the potential of packing a ton of flavor into a low ABV beer. If this can be done, I'd love to see it. But for now I'll stick with other beers.

34. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (179) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Same here. Torpedo, Stone ipa, and lags ipa are my sessions for the "with my lunch before work" beer. Especially Lagunitas. Never really had one that was off on flavor, and dosent take much effort to find . Save the imperials and doubles for the "after work with my late night snack beer" don't understand these 4% abv beers. Only beer I will drink with that kinda abv is guiness draught cans on occasion. Still no for a session beer though. I feel that if u have a strong flavor explosion like enjoy by etc, you need a strong abv to back it up to give it that full on bite.

35. AricGresko

AricGresko Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

All Day IPA for sure. I like the idea of sessions contrary to what some are posting on here. It is nice to have a good tasting craft beer that is light and lower in alcohol. Maybe I want to have a beer earlier in the day but have to do stuff after, so I would not want the buzz effect to happen. Or maybe I want to drink multiple beers in one sitting, sessions allow that. I do agree though that the price should be a little less than that of regular IPAs, DIPAs, etc.

SmashPants likes this.
  36. JuicesFlowing

I'm not annoyed at session IPAs so much as I am at the name. Why do they have to be called session IPAs? Does everything with lower ABV have to have the word "session" by it? Guinness Draught isn't a session stout.

JLaw55 and Donkster46 like this.
  37. JuicesFlowing

Schlafly's can session line is great. I love their brown ale too.

aratcliffe likes this.
  38. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

Boulevard Pop Up IPA comes to mind. When the likka sto is closed I can find this at WalMart at 3.2% abw. It gives me a hop fix when an AAL just won't suffice.

39. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (364) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

The pic's from the autumn, when we customarily come into a bunch of apples all at once. I'd guess that, if anything, the glass jar speeded the ripening process but it was just another apple container, along with a basket and a couple of boxes, until we got around to converting them into applesauce and pie filling for the freezer. It's a shame I have no taste for cider.

Beer!

Donkster46 and TEKNISHE like this.
  40. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (242) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I like session beers but I'm not a huge fan of this style, most are a little too thin and watery for me. I do like Lagunitas DayTime, though. But as others have pointed out if I am going to spend that much on a 6-pack, I will generally pick something up with just a little more body and oomph.

pjvie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.