Your Own Personal White Whale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ZionsvilleBeerDork, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McStagger

McStagger Crusader (777) Jun 2, 2005 California

Kern River Citra. Which is dumb, since I'm a few hours from the brewery. Also, most of New England's hoppy stuff. Lawson's, Swish, Hill Farmstead, etc etc.

2. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (579) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Founders CBS or Bells Black Note

foundersfan1 likes this.
  3. pants678

pants678 Champion (837) Jan 26, 2009 California

I had Good Morning twice at EBF and I still want it all the m-effing time.

4. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,175) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

I know it's not a true "white whale" but I'm still looking to find a 4 Hands Madagascar from last year.

5. CobraCommander9000

CobraCommander9000 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015 Texas

BISHOPS BARREL!!! #10

6. GuitarIPA

GuitarIPA Zealot (548) Mar 24, 2013 Connecticut

The ones that drive me crazy are the locals I can't seem to get my hands on - NEBCO Locust or Storm Trooper , etc.

7. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Disciple (336) Apr 12, 2013 Canada

1. Cask Schlenkerla
    2. Unfiltered Pilsner Urquell
    3. Rodenbach Alexander and Foederbier
    4. U Fleku
    5. Cask Landlord
    6. Fresh Westy Blonde

8. jonesry09

jonesry09 Initiate (107) Apr 29, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Right now for me it's Bells black note and Mexican Cake. I'm rather new to the whole craft beer collecting, but these are two that I am wanting to try the most.

9. Flip4beers

Flip4beers Initiate (169) Feb 18, 2014 California
    Trader

As of lately, my biggest whale yet is the Churchills finest which i dont see anybody wanting to trade.

10. Chcshammonde

Chcshammonde Devotee (499) Sep 20, 2014 California

@MikeCross, tip for Pliny: if your family members are really looking, Pliny gets delivered to Whole Foods around the Bay Area. I'm not sure of distro to the rest of the state but I'm thinking that it probably goes to many of WF stores statewide. In San Jose, they usually get it every 2 weeks, either on Tuesday or Thursday. It gets there around midday. It's usually gone in 2-3 hours, so I always go right at lunchtime to check in. You can call ahead too and sometimes they know if it's coming, and sometimes they don't. You basically have to have a convo with the Beer guy in WF to get the lowdown. Your fam can get you some Pliny, it just requires a bit of persistence and timing.

11. SonictheBeerhog

SonictheBeerhog Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Currently Stickee Monkey...

12. Mehinaman

Mehinaman Zealot (555) May 16, 2015 Washington
    Trader

I was fortunate enough to try a lot of the beers that would have otherwise been on this list such as Prairie Bomb, Pliny, ZD, BCBS and KBS.

Heady has still proven to be out of my reach though. Would also like to try Founders Breakfast Stout. Have two bottles of Mexican Cake coming my way though which I am really looking forward to.

13. voduh

voduh Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2015 Colorado

Yes, yes you should.
    Me first

14. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Disciple (361) Dec 31, 2012 New York
    Trader

bvdl aged in kbbs barrels aged in william larue barrels.

putonyourwalkingshoes likes this.
  15. Caveworm

Caveworm Savant (919) Feb 26, 2014 Ohio

Anything from Hammerheart Brewing Co. out Minnesota aka "the guy from Panopticon". I just can't seem to track it down using online searches to see if anywhere in the state of Ohio sells it, and no luck so far :/

16. Goldstar81

Goldstar81 Initiate (139) Jul 15, 2010 California
    Trader

Had it at the last release and it was alright. If you really want to try it make the trek to churchills and buy a bottle for onsite consumption otherwise you have to wait all night for the chance to buy a couple bottles. Not worth it.

Flip4beers likes this.
  17. wingnutter

wingnutter Zealot (502) May 18, 2005 Florida

Over the past few weeks I've been able to finally get a bunch that have been eluding me for a while: Julius, Heady, Double Citra, Second Fiddle, Trillium, Blind Pig, Supplication, Dinner, a few de Gardes, etc...

Still on the hunt for these:
    Fuzzy Baby Ducks
    HF Susan (missed it by a day last week)
    King Sue
    Focal Banger
    Duck Duck Gooze
    Fuzzy
    Atrial

18. MortarPestle

MortarPestle Zealot (527) Dec 7, 2008 Indiana

Thanks to Sun King for opening their new Tap Room and a special thanks to 3 Floyd's for tapping Zombie Dust, Permanent Funeral and Dark Lord at the Grand Opening!

I had had Zombie Dust but was finally able to check off Permanent Funeral and Dark Lord and they were both worth the wait.

19. AshevilleHomebrewer

AshevilleHomebrewer Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2015 North Carolina

Mine was VSB, finally drank it last night

20. MikeT77

MikeT77 Initiate (159) Jul 2, 2010 New York

Cantillon Blabaer

21. MortarPestle

MortarPestle Zealot (527) Dec 7, 2008 Indiana

22. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Aspirant (222) Aug 10, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Nice gesture, that KRE was on my whale list for a while until a great trade buddy hooked me up. I shared it with people during the '14 Huna Day beer week and it was amazing stuff.

23. Snowdog

Snowdog Initiate (137) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio
    Trader

24. kgammell1

kgammell1 Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2013 Maryland

Ahhhh, I want to try KBBS so bad as well. Living in Maryland has made it really hard to get anything from Founders...

25. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (545) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

I have all three of the Black Tuesday variants... PM me and lets work something out.

I live like 15 minutes away from Beachwood... if they have any bottles (I'm not sure when they put this out) I can grab you a few.

For me it is: Abraxas (barrel aged versions as well), Duck Duck Gooze, Cable Car, Dinner, Allagash Coolship Red...

26. microbrewlover

microbrewlover Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

Pliny the Elder. By the way, has anyone seen Pliny the Elder for sale, or at a bar, in the King of Prussia, PA area?

27. j-con1263

j-con1263 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2013 Ohio

Regular HF flora... had 3 of the varients but cannot got a flora. If anyone wants to help a guy out I have the ammo to land one, idk why it can't happen !

28. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,473) Dec 2, 2009 New York

for me it's still westy 12. maybe adam from the wood.

i've had trade bait and then some to get both, but for some reason have never bothered. partly because westy 12 i wanted to just try in belgium. adam from the wood i simply haven't bothered.

is westy 12 still as good as it ever was? honest question, since i still hope to try it some day.

as for the rare sours (american and belgian), i find it hard to believe they're that much better than the common or pretty-rare others. or rather, that they inherently are. i just mean i think they're equally likely to be The Best Ever for any given drinker as the pretty-rare or perfected-staple. the beers are just so varied. i have no doubt that 99% of them are outright world class, all the rare cantillons and russian rivers. but are loerik and don quijote really better than fou foune and vigneronne or like a 10 yr old lou pepe framboise? they might be, relative to your tastes.

but really, what's better, the aforementioned lou pepe framboise, or drie fonteinen schaerbeekse kriek? cantillon gueuze 100% lambic or drie fonteinen oude gueuze? if you have enough palate (which if you've drank even a dozen of these beers you probably do), you know that these 4 don't taste very similar at all (throw in lou pepe kriek instead of framboise if you're a stickler, since i'm trying to make 2 competing points at once). what's better? they're all world class. are cantillon and drie fonteinen's one offs "better"? you'll definitely be able to tell the difference, but what's "better"?

there's tons of amazing beer in this world. and like i say every so often, i prefer lost abbey red poppy or even a good bottle of cascade apricot to most of the sour rarities i've had. is it worth going beer hunting? hell yes, all these beers are different and amazing. are you "missing out" if you don't have this amazing beer but have that one instead? not really.

29. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,213) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Fou Foune

30. Meerhund

Meerhund Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2015 Idaho

Gumballhead by 3 Floyds and The Chocolate Manifesto from Flying Monkeys. Outlook is very dim for me nowadays, being located on the West coast in Idaho.

31. MA_hops

MA_hops Aspirant (295) May 18, 2015 Vermont

I can't seem to land Gandhi Bot for the life of me.....I'm heading to VT next week for a few days and hopefully will have enough beer to land a can of Gandhi via a trade.

32. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,473) Dec 2, 2009 New York

i don't know the trade landscape in the last 3 years or so, but i do know the CT beer landscape pretty well... and i'm fairly sure that the problem is simply timing. we snatch up all the gandhi we can and drink it. (p.s. it is probably growler only at the moment but don't quote me on that) i personally find it hard to believe that people would send out huge trade bait for gandhi, but also it makes sense that people don't part with it. 1) they rarely see it, 2) they love drinking it, and 3) really, how rare a beer do they think they can get with it?

your best chance is to establish a full on trading relationship with a connecticut beer aficionado. set up a little pipeline of VT and MA goodies going back and forth, and make it clear that when they can get gandhi some of it should come your way, and when you can get (random MA thing) that they can expect some. this is BY FAR the most profitable use of trading IMO. ***

p.s. i'm afraid i cannot be that trading partner; 1) i have a direct line right into MA and (occasionally) VT anyway, 2) I don't trade anymore, and 3) i'm in NYC 95% of the time anyway so i'm not very reliable for stuff like gandhi.

*** well, the "trading relationship" that sends goodies regularly throughout the year is the best, but competitive is the "tasting group as trading collective". that way you have ammo at all times, and because you spread so much wealth it's almost like your tasting partners are secondary (or i guess primary) trading partners. i'm guessing this is how > 50% of the big time rarity trading gets done anyway, outside of trust fund kids.

MA_hops likes this.
  33. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (410) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Brew a clone.

34. MA_hops

MA_hops Aspirant (295) May 18, 2015 Vermont

thanks…to be honest I collect cans/bottles…i'd love a can of Gandhi whether it's got beer in it or not. I figure that one day (maybe this summer) i'll head to the brewery and get a growler of it. However I'd love to acquire just a can…beautiful design!

Pahn likes this.
  35. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Poo-Bah (1,888) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Society Trader

Probably BC Rare. It's rated the highest on my current list of WANTS.

36. TastyIsBeer

TastyIsBeer Devotee (422) Dec 13, 2006 Illinois

Plan a vacation to Austin, TX... visit Jester King, have fun, drink plenty, bring a few bombers home. My wife and I did it with our toddler and it was very pleasant. They've got a good facility, and you can reserve their special releases online before the visit.

alucard6679 likes this.
  37. wheelzntoys

wheelzntoys Initiate (142) Nov 10, 2013 California
    Trader

You have the ammo,
    I checked your gots.

38. LeperJim

LeperJim Meyvn (1,020) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Bourbon County Brand Stout.

The legend that it is...still I don't think it could meet my expectations of being taken away by a Valkyrie after slowly consuming it.

39. skiking70

skiking70 Aspirant (246) Sep 23, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

For me Hunahpu, would love to snag a bottle.

40. Lobina

Lobina Zealot (503) Sep 9, 2009 Arizona

Elevated IPA..will cross that off my list in 10 days when i roll through New Mexico on my way to Estes Park

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.