Zombie Dust Bombers?!

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Canada_Dan, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

Just saw this posted on their FB page and wanted to share.

[​IMG]

Your thoughts?

2. Jradziew

Jradziew Initiate (0) May 26, 2015 Illinois

Probably a good thing for consumers, but for those of us who would drive out to pick up cases of dust from the kiosk to get our fix, its a bit of a raw deal.

6% price increase per ounce based on the Gumballhead bomber pricing (assuming they charge $3.25 for a bomber). I assume limit of 10 at the Kiosk - which reduces the amount you can bring home from 576 ounces to 220 ounces.

Overall, it might mean more ZD will be available for the general public (which is the good for consumers), but not really sure that will be true since people will still buy it in mass quantities where they can. That may die down over time, but overall meh from me.

KSOZE and Canada_Dan like this.
  3. Jradziew

Also - 1) I really don't have the fridge space to store bombers vs. 6 packs (top shelf height issue) and ZD fresh and stored cold is a world of difference, 2) I don't always like committing to crack a 22oz on a weeknight. So I will likely be buying it less frequently and in smaller quantities for sure personally.

westlaunboy likes this.
  4. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I don't see it on their Facebook page.

5. Lansman

Lansman Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri

Fewer bombers / 16.9 oz bottles, more 12 oz. bottles/cans please. Seeing that there are approximately 9-10 different kinds of Three Floyds bombers seemingly always available at LP Binny's, I am not alone in this sentiment.

PDZ likes this.
  6. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

So overall, same concerns as the format change for BCBS. Higher cost/oz is never good, you get less beer per purchase if you're maxing out your allotment, and not everyone wants to drink 16/22oz of beer in a sitting. Sounds like a lose lose

7. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (350) May 17, 2013 Illinois

Same for Zombie Dust. They must have just updated

8. mdomask

mdomask Initiate (0) May 27, 2012 Illinois

No love for tall boys and 40s?

9. Lansman

Lansman Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri

Damnit. I stand corrected.

mdomask likes this.
  10. Jradziew

Someone made a good point on the FB post - this could just be testing the new bottling line to work the kinks out before running more specialty (higher cost) beers through the line. Let's hope that is the case.

DMaCATO likes this.
  11. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

Well at least there is no price per ounce difference.

12. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (350) May 17, 2013 Illinois

FB says it's a "special run," so probably not something that will happen often.

13. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Aspirant (259) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

They're selling by the case FYI (which isn't to suggest that you can't buy individual bombers).

14. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (2,554) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana
    Society

If this is a road to broader distribution, and I see a lot more bombers out and about, even for the "rare" stuff everybody gobbles up quick, I am all for it. A bit more cost so I can actually get it? Count me in. And $4 a bomber is hardly crazy - I pay more for Stone stuff all the time, and it is generally not ZD by any stretch.

15. BigBadBaptist88

BigBadBaptist88 Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2014 Illinois

Recently Zombie Dust and Gumballhead have fallen off flavor wise tremendously. Doesn't really matter what bottle they put it in. They need more quality control. Anyone else notice this as well?

LemonJelly likes this.
  16. mpayne5

mpayne5 Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2011 Indiana

I thought the same about Zombie Dust lately. I'm not sure if my palate has changed or the beer has though.

Stopped by FFF to try to grab lunch. There were people to the street in line for ZD bombers. Insane

17. LemonJelly

LemonJelly Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2013 Wisconsin

I just bought a Gumball head 6 pack from 10/27/15 and it tasted way way off. I've had 3 month old gumball head from a tap that tasted better than this. It had almost no hop flavor and seemed really thin and watery. Very disappointed.... I'm hoping it was just a fluke.

18. FlaviusG

FlaviusG Initiate (124) Aug 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

I enjoy Zombie Dust and Gumballhead, but would never wait inline for either, or go out of my way for them.

19. ddskos

ddskos Initiate (97) Apr 28, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

For me Zombie Dust is hit or miss. Some batches taste amazing and others taste like water.

Brother_Love likes this.
  20. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

When ZD is available in Madison, WI many shops sell singles for $1.99-$2.49. Not sure what they will charge for a 22oz bottle.

21. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Devotee (412) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Couldn't agree more. Although I haven't found confirmation, as of late I've often heard that ZD is no longer single hopped and this is the cause for the change in its flavor profile. Anyone have any details on this theory?

22. AndyEdgar

AndyEdgar Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2014 Illinois

I have had some really good Zombie recently and some bottles that weren't that old that were just missing the usual flavor profile, not sure if they are having QC issues with the expansion going on. My thoughts is this is that its a one time gimmick to make a bigger line out the front door.

Don't concern yourself with Chicagoland issues now that you are out in the mountains man!

Canada_Dan likes this.
  23. Purp1eOne

Purp1eOne Devotee (483) Oct 23, 2010 Illinois

I haven't had any ZD all year....

So much good beer out there is it really worth the effort?

Sister in law usually picks me up a couple of cases when she has time and unless she calls to ask if I want any I don't bother. So far this year she hasn't bothered....

Bearshawks85 likes this.
  24. zappoman

zappoman Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2014 Illinois

I want zombie dust cans. Hell, I'd be up for tallboy 4 packs.

JakeT469 and SasquatchB2 like this.
  25. DesolationAngel

DesolationAngel Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 New Hampshire

Got two cases on Friday. I actually asked for one Gumballhead and one Zombie Dust. First world problems I suppose. The often reported laughably bad customer service was in evidence- they closed the store for thirty minutes for 'a 5 minute shift change.' 45 minute wait to get into the pub with multiple uncleared tables and several of the staff cranking butts in full view of the waiting line. We all got a kick out of it.

MikeSchieve and mpayne5 like this.
  26. ackeeper

ackeeper Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2008 Illinois

The word from the bartender at Three Floyds last week was that they were starting to run their new 22 oz. bottle bottling line, and were using Gumballhead (and later Zombie Dust) to do so. We also chatted about back when Gumballhead was available only in bombers, so the idea to put Gumballhead into bombers for a test run now was a bit of a wink and a nod to those bygone days.

27. poypoyking

poypoyking Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2015 Minnesota

Stopped by for lunch today and had a few varieties from the tap. Picked up a 6er of Yum Yum and two ZD bombers on the way out. Now I just have to pack them well enough for a flight back to the Twin Cities :slight_smile:

A_Dro88 likes this.
  28. JakeT469

JakeT469 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

So, what's the problem? I assume you got 2 cases of ZD instead of 1 GH and 1 ZD(you didn't say what they messed up)? Why didn't you say something? There's a very clear distinction between a case of GH and a case of ZD. For $40 a case I would've asked them (in a very polite tone) to give give me the correct case of beer. It would've taken them 10 seconds to swap out a case of ZD for a case of GH. This is a classic case (pun intended) of, "I got bad customer service at FFF but I'm not gonna say anything to them(FFF) or do anything about it except complain about it on a message board."

29. goodstrongbeer

goodstrongbeer Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

Good rant, but there is no clear distinction between a case of GH bombers and ZD bombers, as they are packed in the generic sun dial bomber case.

30. JakeT469

JakeT469 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

Gotcha. I'm very aware of what the FFF bomber cases look like and I know there's no distinction when it comes to bomber cases. I made the mistake of confusing bomber cases with 6pack cases (totally forgot the title of this thread was "ZD BOMBERS" and not the regular 12oz bottles). My mistake in that part of the rant. Everything else, however, I stand by.

31. counciloak

counciloak Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Indiana

Noticed this too. I bought a six in September, it was about a week old, and noticed that it wasn't ringing the bell like it normally does, as far as punch you in the throat citrus flavor. Then about a week ago I had a pint on tap and it was fantastic. There might be some issues at the brewery.

32. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

33. NbeerJ

NbeerJ Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2014 New Jersey

visited the brewery this weekend. great place.but there were some variations

34. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (413) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I'm going to do this on every new post. The ultimate BeerAdvocate response "meh".

Vav likes this.
  35. DesolationAngel

DesolationAngel Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 New Hampshire

I didnt realize the mistake until the next day in South Bend.

36. Beanblossom

Beanblossom Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2015 Indiana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.