Zombie Dust Clone too ambitious - part 2

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GetMeAnIPA, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

So about a month ago I posted a thread asking if a zombie dust clone is too ambitious fort first homebrew, I didn't brew alone but with two other newbies.

Many people provided great feedback and information and I wanted to just thank everybody and let you know it turned out great! It's no zombie dust and maybe a year from now I will say it was ok. Below are some notes on it.

After only a week of adding primary surgar a buddy and I couldn't wait any longer so we sampled a bottle today. Aroma is just lights out! Big juicy sweet tropical notes. Body is a little light a lacks a more malt or mouthfeel. Not sure if doing all grain versus extract would provide a better body. Beer drinks well and could easy dust multiples. The beer does finish pretty bitter which keeps all that sweet pear, mango, tropical fruits at bay. I look forward to seeing how the beer progress with more carbonation.
    [​IMG]

mattbk, bgjohnston, jlordi12 and 3 others like this.
  2. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,501) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

Glad you enjoyed it your first time out. Keep it up!!!

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  3. GetMeAnIPA

Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks! I am so stoked on this and will definelty be my new obsession. Brewing a porter this weekend. A nice base porter to build off of.

inchrisin likes this.
  4. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Pooh-Bah (1,703) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Great to hear!

With three brewers, those 5 gallons of beer are going to go fast. My advice, once carbonation hits the perfect level, would be to hide a few bottles in the back of the fridge with a note that says "don't drink till 4/10/14." If you think the beer is great now, wait until its been in the bottle for about 6 weeks.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  5. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Great to hear it's drinkable and probably enjoyable. Nice bod! My experience with this beer is that the undesirable onion flavor only gets stronger with age. You'll probably find that this beer peeks in about 3 weeks. After that it plummets. When the beer pops you should throw a party and clear the cellar. :slight_smile: Maybe hide 1 or 2 and tell me that I'm wrong in 3 months.

Or, if you're a greedy bastard like me, just get the liter mug out. You're not pouring growlers yet, and nobody's looking.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  6. GetMeAnIPA

Pooh-Bah Society

The good thing is we all live seperate so I have my own beer fridge and my wife doesn't drink. I'll definelty be keeping bottles for a while and sampling them to see how they change over time. 6 weeks might tough but I will do might best to keep two nestled away. Going forward most of is will brewing our own batches and sharing our creations.

7. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

On a side note, since your first beer is drinkable, and you sound like you're ahead of the curve, focus on repetition and keep your beer cool! I think pitch temp and fermentation temp are probably the most important things you can do for a beer. Make sure you have a way to get your wort down into the mid 60Fs and keep it there. Sanitation always wins if you've read anything on brewing, so...`nough said. There are other things that are important, but that's not what this thread is about.

8. GetMeAnIPA

Pooh-Bah Society

I am a greedy bastard fo sho! I got plenty of dirtwolf, sucks, torpedo etc people can help themselves to.

I am thinking 3 months out is next to impossible . Maybe 6 - 8 weeks at the most.

9. GetMeAnIPA

Pooh-Bah Society

I made sure we pitched the yeast in the mid 60's. That and sanititazion were the biggest things I wasn't going to waiver on. I have a nice cool closet that is always the coldest room in the house and stays a consistent 68. Soon I'll be converting our fridge to my fermentation area as we just got a new fridge for the house :grinning:

inchrisin likes this.
  10. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

The malt note you are lacking will show up in a few days .. Im an early beer taster ( 7,10&14 days in bottles )and those hop and malt notes wont come together until two weeks or later. The color will also get slightly darker as mine usually do around the 2 week mark.

inchrisin and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  11. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

My first brew with my buddy was a Zombie Dust clone, we entered into a competition and took 3rd place.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  12. shredder83

shredder83 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2013 Illinois

Congrats on your first brew, my first was also a zombie dust-ish clone and it also turned out great with rave reviews from my friends. Cheers.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm glad to hear this turned out well for you!

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.