Zombie dust drink by?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Pmac9286, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pmac9286

Pmac9286 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2014 Ohio

Hi I came accross a 6 pack of Zombie Dust with a bottle date of 10/1/14. How good is it still and how much longer will it last?

Thanks

2. boilermakerryan

boilermakerryan Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2011 Indiana

It will not be "fresh" however, I have had 3mo old ZD that was still great in my opinion. If you have never had it fresh and aren't expecting the exact taste you remember I would recommend trying it as a little over a month is not bad.

3. lonewolf371

lonewolf371 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2014 Michigan

As a rule I think you should drink pale ales as fast as possible while maintaining other people's respect.

4. Pmac9286

Pmac9286 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2014 Ohio

Thanks for the info... bringing it to thanksgiving for our annual family beer tasting. I have won 2 years in a row and trying to make it 3. Hoping this is good enough.

5. fatdeets

fatdeets Initiate (83) May 19, 2014 Illinois

years ago when I would pick up cases, I'd make sure to have it drunk within six months. There'd be a noticeable drop off by that point, but there beer would still drink fine.

6. sbxx

sbxx Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

I'd say the old 120 days rule.

If you can't find time to drink it within 120 days, you shouldn't have it anyway.

7. Mitchell57

Mitchell57 Initiate (167) Jan 8, 2013 Wisconsin

It's a hoppy pale ale...it'll be fine. I would take it old as opposed to not having it at all pretty often

jimmyfishkin likes this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,781) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

That beer is soooo good that any drop-off in flavor due to age will still leave you with a beer that is very good.

Mitchell57 and sbxx like this.
  9. cetherid

cetherid Devotee (440) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

I won't touch ZD after 3 weeks personally. Falls off fast IMO. Then again I'm used to drinking it the day of to a few days after bottling date...but that's just like...my opinion.

10. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

I'm in this camp....

zrab11 likes this.
  11. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,357) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I suggest opening one of the six bottles this weekend & seeing what you think. If you think it's fine 5 bottles should be plenty for your tasting event. If not up to par your forethought will have spared you endless ridicule that day :wink:

12. sbxx

sbxx Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

It's this kind of garbage that confuses noobs.

No beer expires or fades in 21 days in proper storage conditions.

13. gibson584

gibson584 Initiate (122) Dec 11, 2010 Kentucky
    Trader

From having zombie dust anywhere from a day old to six months, I'd say it drinks best within the first 60 days. Obviously, fresher is better but it isn't until after two months that I really start to notice the drop off. Even at 6 months it's still tasty, it's just a shell of what it once was though.

14. ShaneP

ShaneP Initiate (125) Jan 26, 2013 Indiana
    Brewery Trader

It's great in first 60 to 90 days for sure......

15. krome

krome Meyvn (1,300) Aug 1, 2009 Illinois

I had some year old stuff that I liked better than the fresh (but I am not a big hop fan). It had mellowed nicely.

I've been playing with cellaring a 6 pack and breaking out a bottle every few months to taste side by side with a really fresh bottle. Last tasting was with the old one at 8 months and it was still good (although noticeably different than the fresh bottle). I liked the 8 month one better, the hop fans didn't agree, but still thought the 8 month old fully drinkable.

16. 30MinutesSouth

30MinutesSouth Initiate (150) Jan 4, 2014 Indiana

I personally won't consume any FFF products older than 48 hours. We who have easier access have become pretty jaded.

[​IMG]

Seriously, if you can keep it cold you'll be good for a turkey day tasting especially if no one there has had it before.

17. lonewolf371

lonewolf371 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2014 Michigan

I'm more of a 48 minutes guy. Got some people on the inside, you know.

18. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (322) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont

I agree

19. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (410) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

People need to stop asking this question.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  20. jamvt

jamvt Disciple (395) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

I will now only drink IPAs brewed in the future....that ZD will still blow minds on turkey day.

21. jlee

jlee Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Wisconsin

I still have 4 bottles from August. Is it as good as it was in August? Not quite, but it's still damn good and I wouldn't pass on it just because it's a couple of months old. I will be finishing it in the next couple of weeks though.

22. rfraga77

rfraga77 Initiate (170) Oct 2, 2009 Indiana

I'll take day old zombie dust over 3 week old 100% of the time. It does indeed start to "fade". Try them both and report back. Disclaimer: I don't drink zombie dust after 2 weeks. It starts tasting like Robert the Bruce.

23. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Disciple (372) Oct 19, 2006 Indiana
    Trader

It will be fine. Few palates are so refined as to distinguish the difference of a few weeks. Proost!

24. roger617

roger617 Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 Indiana

I agree that they'll be fine. Not the same as week old, but I'd still drink them. However, I know of a local spot that still has multiple cases of Zombie Dust tucked away that pre-bottle dating - if you ever encounter this fossil I'd advise not to consume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.