Zwanze Day 2016

Discussion in 'New England' started by RKing44, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RKing44

RKing44 Disciple (392) Mar 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Looks like the date is set for October 1st. A very welcomed addition and subtraction on this year's list.
    [​IMG]

USA
    - Armsby Abbey -- Worcester, Massachusetts
    - Hill Farmstead Brewery -- Greensboro, Vermont
    - Novare Res Bier Café -- Portland, Maine
    - Trillium Brewing Co. -- Canton, Massachusetts

#1 RKing44, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    ChrisMyhre and woodfinish like this.
  2. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (196) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Interesting that Lord Hobo is off the list. Say what you will about Lannigan, he always seemed to have a ton of enthusiasm for Cantillon and Zwanze. Had a couple of great Zwanze Days at that bar.

Any hints on what's different about the Framboise from Rosé de Gambrinus?

3. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (954) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

looks like 82% raspberries, 18% bluberries, and .05% vanilla (from the label)

SveNss0N and woodfinish like this.
  4. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (181) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Wow, losing lord hobo sucks. Really big bummer to lose the one public transit accessible spot in New England. Not worth a commuter rail ride to worcester for me.

kinopio likes this.
  5. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,556) Sep 2, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It's in the spirit of the one from 1986. "The 1986 label states that this beer contains 75% framboise, 25% kriek, and 0.05% vanilla. This is the only Cantillon beer known to have vanilla." So they are doing it similar. Should be tasty

woodfinish likes this.
  6. RKing44

RKing44 Disciple (392) Mar 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

A shuttle from University Ave. would be amazing.

7. SveNss0N

SveNss0N Devotee (419) Feb 16, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

You're insane. It's absolutely 100% worth it

brikelly and parris like this.
  8. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (222) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Too each their own. I would suspect the event will be ticketed...otherwise it could be chaos in that office park.

9. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (219) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Hopfully Trillium and Armsby are ticketed. It really needs to move in that direction. It's been getting messier and messier for a few years now.

10. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Devotee (456) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yes but not a bad uber ride

Tickets will be hard for this one... assuming it's ticketed that is

11. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

Armsby said they've move to ticketed this year after last year. The place was beyond packed and people were in the service hallway for the toast......

12. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (954) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think I'd give up the ease of public transit than deal with LH anymore. There's always a massive turn-out with no organization to ease the process like ticketing or something. I wouldn't mind waiting in the bar until 3 if the draft list wasn't so mediocre when compared to other places.

EnronCFO likes this.
  13. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (171) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

What is the deal between Trillium and Hobo? Is there beef?

14. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (300) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Don't care, Trillium makes the juice blankets. Lord Hobo is a cool bar. The world keeps spinning.

15. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (615) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

When I read this, in my head it was in Seinfeld's voice.

16. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (704) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

List says "1 more place to be confirmed." So, perhaps Lord Hobo missed the newsletter?

17. Dicers

Subscriber Beer Trader

Would be very surprised to see another New England spot get it, but who knows

18. AlcahueteJ

Well it IS the capital of the beer world these days...:wink:

AdamAl973, Jason and eaglephile like this.
  19. Dicers

Subscriber Beer Trader

No argument from me there, but I have a feel JVR is wanting to spread it out a bit more

20. noob

noob Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2004 Massachusetts

Never forget: No line, no waiting for the first Zwanze Day at Hobo. That was awesome. It was a big group of people coming together to celebrate Cantillon.

UncleJimbo likes this.
  21. AlcahueteJ

Ha, well, I was mostly joking. There's great beer everywhere, there just happens to a lot of highly rated IPAs/beers in New England.

But without opening up that can of worms, I agree, it will likely be spread around more. I assume this is the same amount of locations in New England as last year? (with Trillium replacing Lord Hobo)

22. AlcahueteJ

If you want to go further back, I've heard there was a time Cantillon collected dust on the shelves here in the US.

SveNss0N likes this.
  23. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (484) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Maybe Cantillon didn't want to support Lord Hobo's markups.

Stumbled into the last pours at Armsby last year. If I can get tix, will be there again this year.

24. noob

noob Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2004 Massachusetts

Like when Redbones had Lou Pepe on for $5 a pint?

The only reason I can think about the change to Trillium is the size of the venue.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  25. AlcahueteJ

When was that? I went there a number of years back (back when people cared about this beer more) and they were selling Abyss in pints.

It's also possible with the brewery being run in tandem, pulling together an event like this was too much this year (I don't think that's the case, just spit balling). Or, they're pushing it off until next year when the tap room is further renovated and simply have it there.

I actually have a fuzzy memory of them saying they wanted to move it to Woburn, but I could just be making this up.

26. bla211

bla211 Initiate (168) Mar 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Not sure what you are talking about here

RKing44 likes this.
  27. AlcahueteJ

I'm saying it's possible putting together a Zwanze Day is a lot of money/time, that they simply don't have due to having a brewery on top of a bar. As I said, I don't think that's the case, just searching for reasons why they're not on the list this year.

I also remember something along the lines of Daniel saying that they would hold future Zwanze Days at the Lord Hobo Brewery itself, because there's far more space. But last I heard, they were still upgrading the facility, so perhaps it's not completely ready for an event like that.

I could also be wrong and I am confusing this memory with another.

28. Sheppard

Sheppard Crusader (754) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

From what I've heard, there have been quite a few moves from bar to brewery, so it might not be anything personal, but rather an initiative by Cantillon to move the event to breweries. For example, a bar in Portland lost hosting to De Garde, which isn't anywhere near Portland. It might just be a thing that's happening.

29. WarbyJones

WarbyJones Initiate (176) Jan 11, 2014 Maine
    Beer Trader

A bar in Portland, ME however is still hosting

30. Dicers

Subscriber Beer Trader

There are definitely a few bars that probably aren't going to have to worry about losing their hosting duties anytime soon including Novrae Res (Portland) Spuyten Duyvil (Brooklyn) and Avenue Pub (New Orleans) as JVR knows all of the owners personally and very well

31. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

Doubtful because LHBC is the size of like 5 airplane hangars so they could have hosted it there...

32. Sheppard

Sheppard Crusader (754) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I didn't say all bars are losing it or were going to lose it. It just seemed to be a bit of a trend. We'll see if that changes in the future. I don't think the bars @Dicers mentioned are going to lose it.

And JVR knows Daniel too. I've seen JVR with Daniel at Hobo...

33. kinopio

kinopio Disciple (325) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know if Daniel is a co owner of Moeder Lambic in Brussels? He said that to me a couple years ago(unless I misheard) but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else. Obviously that is a strong connection since Moeder is basically the Cantillon bar.

34. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

Doubt it...

35. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

Buffalo is another example of this: Blue Monk to Thin Man Brewery, among others

36. jbart

jbart Initiate (177) Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts

Blue Monk in Buffalo has closed.

37. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

Ya. I believe some of fellas went over to Thin Man + they held the Struise/Blue Monk release there

38. AlcahueteJ

Does anyone know what the lines are like at Novare Res for tickets? And can you pick up tickets and then come back in the afternoon for the 3 pm tapping?

39. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (300) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Good question. My wife and I would love to go and always enjoy the deck. The change this year is we'd have our well behaved 11 month old girl with us. I'd take one for the team and just have the tapping pour and let my wife have the fun tasting others but not sure if it's just too nuts to go with a little one on the deck for this event

If that's the case it might be a chance to ask moms and dad for a sitter day(which we hardly do) :slight_smile:

Any insight is appreciated.

JrGtr and AlcahueteJ like this.
  40. jamvt

jamvt Disciple (386) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

He is. I confirmed this when I visited Cantilon last year.

AlcahueteJ and kinopio like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.