Zwanze Day SF Bay Area

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Rzzzzz, Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Devotee (423) Nov 10, 2007 California

saw this from Mikkeller bar:

Your $36 [$38.25 with service fee] ticket includes:
    * A special Zwanze 2013 commemorative Glass
    * A 20cl serving Zwanze 2013 Beer
    * A Zwanzee / Cantillon Shirt (first come first served on sizes, men's cut.)
    * Discounted servings of Cantillon Iris & Cantillon Gueuze after 1PM

I don't need a T shirt or a glass. I just want to taste the stuff, but I don't need to be shelling out nearly $40 for 20cl of beer. Anyone know how they're doing this at Russian River? I think they charged $5, maybe $8 tops for a glass two years ago.

2. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (579) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

You guys should read: the ticket is a VIP type of pass that gets you the schwag and discounted pricing on some pours, plus you get to come in at 10; the public comes in at 1.

3. m34josh

m34josh Initiate (72) Oct 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

For those too lazy to click the link:

Event Schedule:
    10:00 am, We open the doors for the ticket holders only.
    12:00 Noon, Zwanze Toast
    1:00 pm we open to the public and tap a keg of Cantillon Iris. $12. ($8 for ticket holders)
    3:00 pm we tap a keg of Cantillon Gueuze. $12. ($8 for ticket holders)

I am sure there will be plenty of decent ;) beer to drink for the two hours before the toast too

4. beermebaby89113

beermebaby89113 Initiate (0) May 3, 2007 California

Event Schedule:
    10:00 am, We open the doors for the ticket holders only.
    12:00 Noon, Zwanze Toast
    1:00 pm we open to the public and tap a keg of Cantillon Iris. $12. ($8 for ticket holders)
    3:00 pm we tap a keg of Cantillon Gueuze. $12. ($8 for ticket holders)

So the Zwanze Toast is at 12 noon, and then at 1:00 pm they open the doors to the public. So they way I see it is unless you buy in on the package NO ZWANZE FOR YOU! Sort of reminds of the P.T.Y. deal that happened at Pangea in Sacramento.

5. bird22

bird22 Disciple (358) Jan 2, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Exactly. In comparison, here is what $35 gets you at Beachwood:

Saturday 14th, 2013 / 10:00am – 12:30pm
    A light brunch
    A Zwanze 2013 keepsake glass
    8oz. pour of Cantillon Zwanze 2013
    5oz. pour of Cantillon Iris
    5oz. pour of Cantillon Gueuze
    5oz. pour of Cantillon St. Gilloise

the_trystero and EBbrewpunx like this.
  6. messanthrope

messanthrope Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2013 California

already got stone tix, bummed I am missing the beachwood one... but it gives us an excuse to go to alpine

7. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Devotee (423) Nov 10, 2007 California

I can read too. T shirt and Cantillon glass are really neat-o, but I don't need them, I just want to taste the beer. I'd like to have the opportunity to do that without paying for all that crap I don't need. And I gotta pay almost 40 bucks for the right to get a discount? This "VIP" thing is just yer basic 21st century pay-for-convenience "deal."

I'm not ripping Mikkeller here--they have the right to run their business however they want to, and I'm sure they'll do just fine with this plan. But this "deal" is not for me.

So I ask again...what are they doing at Russian River?

8. DeanoMac

DeanoMac Initiate (148) Mar 20, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I've been curious about what RR is doing also. As far as I know they haven't said anything. Going to RR has always been my plan so I'll pretty much go no matter what they do.

9. SidSquid

SidSquid Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2010 California

RR will be doing it on Sunday. No need to go Saturday.

; )

10. nataku00

nataku00 Crusader (770) Apr 5, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I have a wedding to attend on Zwanze day this year so it's making my decision to not attend pretty easy. That pricing is a little steep in case people don't want a t shirt, though I did buy one from last year.

11. beerific

beerific Initiate (72) Nov 8, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I totally agree and am now considering changing my plans and hitting up Mikkeller instead of RR. $40 is cheap when you consider the hours saved by not driving to Santa Rosa and not waiting in line.

12. DOTU

DOTU Aspirant (232) Feb 11, 2011 California

Tickets purchased for Mikkeller Bar Zwanze Day and not at all dissatisfied with what my $36 buys me.

13. henryspam

henryspam Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 California

sold out at 12:22pm

14. gordnbiers

gordnbiers Aspirant (252) Jun 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Time to see what zwanze is all about!

15. matedog

matedog Initiate (58) Jan 25, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

God damn it, I hesitated.

16. slinkie

slinkie Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2011 Washington

I bought my tickets as soon as they went on sale, but I refreshed the page at 12:02, and they were sold out.

17. henryspam

henryspam Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 California

Yea I was thinking about getting the tickets "later this afternoon". Glad I just got in at 12:00 sharp. Last year's Zwanze at Oakland Trappist was a bit unorganized with people "joining up with their friends in the line". Lets see how this ticket thing works this year.

18. beerific

Beer Trader

Didn't think they would sellout so fast. Guess I will be braving the crowds at RR.

19. 82300sd

82300sd Initiate (37) Dec 24, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

beerific, check your inbox for my message

20. beerific

Beer Trader

Looks like I do have a ticket. Thanks 82300sd!

21. rboinski

rboinski Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2012 California

This went too fast, I was stuck in class. Was going to celebrate my birthday on the 9th by going to zwanze day! If anyone else got an extra too let me know, otherwise ill see the rest of you at RR crack of dawn

22. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Also last year it was pouring for the first few of those 4 hours. I got my ticket and not having to sprint to get in another line for the bar.

23. nsheehan

nsheehan Devotee (457) Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

It's free at Jester King Brewpub (Austin, TX).
    But you had to win a lottery, 150 people chosen of 530 entries.
    And there aren't any other Cantillon kegs.

Kind of surprised they aren't letting non-VIP people in for the toast at noon, toasting to great beer is for everyone.
    Anyway, have a great Zwanze day!

24. nsheehan

nsheehan Devotee (457) Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Almost. You may have heard TX laws changed in June.
    Currently there is still long-time licensing/legal crap issue. My understanding (I'm a Norcal native) is that regardless of brewery size/shipment amount, there are exorbitant licensing fees to pay to Texas ABC. They're also the ones who make sure we get releases months after everyone else (Avery 20 hit last week, now very few people want it at 3 months old; I might try it if I split the bottle).
    So for Zwanze to be sold, someone would have to pay over $7k for the one keg.

25. marieow

marieow Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Might be good to note to those unfamiliar with Mikkeller SF, is that it gets easily crowded. The guy who co-owns that bar also owns The Trappist, where it was held last year, which I heard was a shit show. Maybe he learned from that experience? This year is limited to only 120 people. Glad I got my ticket, and I'm glad I get a Cantillon shirt to sleep in. Basically, I paid for the convenience.

26. DOTU

I was in Mikkeller's multiple times the opening weekend and it never once felt over crowded. I wasn't there late night, but still. The fact that ticketed entry goes all the way 1pm is a good deal also. I just wish they were tapping the Geuze at 1pm and Iris at 3pm because I had a fair amount of Iris the opening weekend.

27. DOTU

I'm all for fairness. How so?

28. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Poo-Bah (1,565) Oct 19, 2010 California

Places had a choice between classic Iris and the Grand Cru. The classic keg is a 30L keg but the Grand Cru is significantly smaller so that influenced a lot of decisions.

29. DOTU

How do we know what Mikkeller did?

30. krisleonard

krisleonard Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Massachusetts

I may have an extra ticket for Mikkeller if anyone needs one...

31. throwback

throwback Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I'll be in from Cleveland and would love to go. I can even bring some special bottles for the favor.

32. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Initiate (84) Sep 14, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'll be visiting from CO and would love an extra ticket if anyone has one.

33. EBbrewpunx

EBbrewpunx Initiate (0) May 11, 2006 California

I'm the only going to RR! woohoo!!
    :)

the_trystero likes this.
  34. rboinski

rboinski Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2012 California

It has a separate thread and there are a LOT of people going from what I've heard

35. DefJukie1

DefJukie1 Initiate (156) Aug 14, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

So who all were able to get tickets/am I going to see there tomorrow? When are you guys thinking of heading over there?

36. EBbrewpunx

EBbrewpunx Initiate (0) May 11, 2006 California

let me be happy in my bubble for a few more hrs dang it!

no, doesn't everyone know...mikkeller will be tapping a new cantillon keg every three minutes...and a new 3F keg every 15 minutes...
    and at 12:05pm will be a special ceremony where they will attempt to contact the spirits of Pierre Celis and Michael Jackson

ya'll should go there!

:)

rboinski likes this.
  37. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I am going will probably head in line around 9

38. Thirsty_Rob

Thirsty_Rob Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

My friend has an extra ticket at mikkeller. BM me

39. HopsforBreakfast

HopsforBreakfast Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2013 California

40. Sebowski

Sebowski Initiate (122) Jan 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Some of us won't do either of those things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.