Zwanze Day

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mani, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myron317

myron317 Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2012 New Jersey

Had a wedding this weekend so wasn't expecting to go, but I just landed a hotel for the night so looks like I'll be going to Monks :)

2. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Zealot (515) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I was thinking of getting to Monk's at noonish, trying some of the fun stuff on tap, and getting out before Zwanze at 3. Based on past years, will we be packed like sardines at noon or not until 3? Will I need to get there at 11:30 to get in?

3. acolby

acolby Initiate (163) Dec 12, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Some friends and I are hitting monks early to make sure we get a table. Planning on hanging and drinking canti for a few hours. Glassware should be a nice thing to be able to grab.

Did you guys see they tool Vignerrone off the list and added classic guezue? Hoping they pull some bottles outta thin air for a surprise, but really I'll still be happy.

Psyched to try the Allagash Broken Elevator PNC, the list of barrels listed here on BA that it's blend from is nuts. Can't imagine how it will taste.

Happy Zwanze everyone. Anyone out in the city tonight programing finding any surprises on tap?

4. Phillyz

Phillyz Initiate (0) May 20, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I guarantee their bottle list will blow our minds. The last two times I bought Vig there for $30, the vintages were '06 and '08. They didn't even advertise this. Also, that's how much we'd pay at a bottle shop. I guarantee they'll have Vig bottles. If I'm wrong, seek me out. I'll wear a black Misfits shirt or a NOFX shirt. I'll buy you a beer.

5. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Aspirant (286) Jan 13, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Fou Foune on tap at Spuyten today. This will be the 2nd time that Fou Foune is on tap in Brooklyn this year and I miss it.

6. Ruddick

Ruddick Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

How's the line at Monk's?

7. Phillyz

Beer Trader

Not TOO bad. But it is crowded here.

8. corby112

corby112 Poo-Bah (3,908) Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Unfortunately I have to work today so I'm going to miss out on Zwanze. I might swing by Monk's after work but it wouldn't be until after 11:00. Not sure it will even be worth it at that time. My only consolation is that I was able to get My Bloody Valentine tickets this afternoon!

Phillyz likes this.
  9. acolby

Beer Trader

Phillyz, I missed you, but you owe me a beer, lol.

10. smakawhat

smakawhat Poo-Bah (5,928) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

Churchkey was a blast this year! It wasn't a serious madhouse, and the ticket system was a great improvement.

11. acolby

Beer Trader

Monk's actually went very well after the first half hour of the day or so.

thampel09 likes this.
  12. volta

volta Aspirant (292) Dec 21, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Alewife was fantastic. Awesome taplist, organized, and had room to move

marshmeli, LopeJuice and Denoas like this.
  13. Phillyz

Beer Trader

I do owe you a beer. I have some 3F I need to drink soon. You down?

14. corby112

corby112 Poo-Bah (3,908) Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I decided to go to Monk's after work. Got here around 11:15 and all of the Cantillon was gone except Classic Gueuze. Had a glass of classic Gueuze, Allagash PNC Broken Elevator and Bullfrog Jong Bruin Druvien.

15. marshmeli

marshmeli Devotee (420) Feb 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Agreed Alewife's event was exceptional smooth... awesome time, room to move, able to order their great food (chicken and biscuits FTW), nice tap list (a little disappointed some of the beers didn't make it) and nice bottles as well. Pat and Co did a great job, looking forward to next year already.

Denoas likes this.
  16. shutyourface

shutyourface Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2010 New York

Did anyone get an extra Zwanze Day shirt?

17. callmemickey

callmemickey Meyvn (1,226) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Anyone know if Monk's got more than the one keg of Iris Grand Cru (and intends on tapping it in the future)?

18. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Aspirant (231) Jun 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

The event at Spuyten was so much better then last year. I accredit this to the weather, so a lot of people were able to sit outside and not freeze to death. The Fou Foune was great, and the bottle list was insane. On the whole the event was terrific.

OddNotion likes this.
  19. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,475) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

Didn't get to try Fou Foune at Spuyten as I came a bit late for that, but the Zwanze at least still was there. Great stuff.

20. Franch

Franch Devotee (450) Mar 22, 2011 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

what a great event at spuyten. the weather was beautiful. the bottle list was shocking -- LH12 of all things! foune and zwanze.... <3

OddNotion, GrumpyOldTroll and jbuddle like this.
  21. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Devotee (407) Jun 21, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

LH12?? dear god - what were they selling it for? $1,000?

22. Franch

Beer Trader

60 or 65!

[​IMG]

corby112 likes this.
  23. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (154) Jun 7, 2005 New York

Hmmm...wonder if those were bottles leftover from Brettember Fest that one year.

Fantastic beer.

24. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Devotee (407) Jun 21, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

damn! that's an unbelievable deal..

25. Franch

Beer Trader

i overheard joe carroll say that they sold four.

26. Mortekai

Mortekai Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2007 New York

Hi,

I am going to attend Zwanze Day this year and hope to secure a seat. What time did you arrive last year? Was it hard to get a glass of Zwanze when it was tapped? Thank you for any tips.

27. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,041) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Have a baby shower this day... jeez... gonna show up to the baby shower and leave early... priorities, priorities...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.