Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Frank & Sense | Innis & Gunn

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by biboergosum on 10-15-2017

4.22/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Love the bag this beer comes in and again, love the simple labelling to go along with it! The beer itself pours a heavy golden color with coppery orange hues....mainly transparent with perhaps some chill hazing. The head is very frothy and dense, off white in color with an array of tight tiny bubbles all congregating together! Lacing appears very well too with a good assortment of thick filmy foam clinging to the side of the glass! A superb looking brew!

S- A large floral aroma is present to my nostrils, along with plenty of crisp hop bitterness and caramel malts to help balance things out. In terms of sweetness, muted honey, aromatic and exotic spice, rounded oak subtleness and yeast/bread/biscuit wholesomeness. The finish is clean and refreshing. Overall a very nice Golden Ale!

T- There is most definitely a clean citrus flavor right up at the front of the taste, alongside soapy notes for some reason. There is also a leafy green vegetable/herbal character and heavily floral hops that make this dry from start to finish, and provide a cleansing finish that lingers well after the taste. I do again get some caramel/toffee/honeyed sweetness, aromatic spice that I haven't really encountered before and the oaked process provides a little bit of a woody/Earthy flavor. I am really enjoying this unique flavor profile!

M/O- Light and crisp on the palate, this is a slightly tart, flavorful golden Ale that is quite different than what is out in the market and I think the Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh add a very different (in a good way) spin on this style. I find it highly drinkable and the more I'm getting into it, the more I'm enjoying it. This is the experimental homerun that I expect from I&G! Nice work!

Frank & Sense from Innis & Gunn