Pennsyl-Tucky Uncommon | East End Brewing Company

Reviews by greg4579:
3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

3.27/5  rDev -6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

LOOK: Dark brown, no head, with clumsy bubbles going in all different directions. Appears to be a sour brown ale.

SMELL: Roast and some lacto going on, interesting mix.

TASTE: Tart lactic acid comes through as moderately sour. The method of souring the beer was kettle souring, which I have little experience with. Sour but perhaps too malty. Chocolate like malt flavor is somewhat out of place here, I wish this used strictly pale and biscuit malts and just let the funk shine. Still, tasty and different.

FEEL: Biting acidity and good medium-high carbonation. Chalky, very faintly dry, and interesting.

OVERALL: One word I keep coming back to is Interesting. Love wild ales, but the malt here clashed with the lively wild ale flavors. I would consider this a step in the right direction, but not quite there.

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

3.71/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This strikes me as almost a brown ale. Chalky tone to it. Somewhat lactic thing going on as well. Mild sour overall. The chalky thing is kind of odd in that it doesn't work with things so well. Regardless. If I'm going to be honest, when I first heard this was going to be released, my expectations were low. Whereas it isn't blowing me away, I still think it's pretty decent.

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

4.75/5  rDev +36.5%

3.44/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Translucent dark brown. Murky. Flat. No head or foam whatsoever. Looks unappealing.

Roasted cherry, vinous notes, dark cereal grains, and some light phenolics. Mega malty.

Concentrated malt extract, black cherry, strange wet woodiness, earthy dampness, earthy and herbal hops, some medicinal quality, and finishing with hints of chicory. Very unique and strange.

Very little carbonation leaves a big and wet gulpy mouthfeel. Body-wise, it's realistically close to medium. Light stickiness from malt sugars.

It's a weird one, I'll give it that. East End invented something that should have probably been nothing. I'm finishing it with a half-smile.

Pennsyl-Tucky Uncommon from East End Brewing Company