Mickey's

View: Beers
Reviews: 381 | Ratings: 1,366 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
jkblr from Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +57.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz widemouth green bottle stamped JUL2720 (over 3 months from now) poured into a pint glass at fridge temp, no ABV listed on bottle. The beer pours bright light straw yellow with nearly white head. Minimal lacing. The head recedes to a thin ring and single layer of bubbles. The aroma is faint with a hint of skunk, corn, hay and a little generic sweetness. The taste is semisweet grain with slight skunk & floral / cut grass notes before a mildly bitter finish. Little to no buttery off taste. The mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied with above average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, very good malt liquor. Really one of the cleanest examples I've tried. Too bad about the green bottles. I would buy this in cans, if available.

Apr 09, 2020
Beerdanza from Michigan

2.75/5  rDev +9.6%

First time I've had Mickey's in at least 30 years. Straight from the 12oz wide-mouth bottle, so I'm assuming it to be your average straw yellow malt liqour.

Smell is ethanol and corn mash.

Smoother than other Malt Liquors I've tried. The flavor profile is very simple. A little sweet, with an ethanol bite, but more watery than expected. Mouthfeel is slightly filmy, and there's a great deal of fizz. No lingering aftertaste, good or bad.

Overall, it is what it claims to be. It's giving me a buzz with minimal effort. Goes down pretty easy, without any particularly offensive qualities. Of the malt liquors I've had, I'd rate it near the top. I'm enjoying it, and have no regrets.

Feb 13, 2020
monkist from Hungary

3.54/5  rDev +41%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This has been a dream of mine for oh so long, to drink Mickey’s and try a real US malt liquor. Now, after x years I have finally been able to have it in Guam, found it at a filling station.
There is a kind of a legendary feel to this, been referred to it many times in pop culture so holding this heavy bottle in my hands is quite impressive. 40 fl oz, over 1.1 liters, we also have “value pack” beers back in Europe in similar quantities (usually in PET bottles), the only one being similar to this that I have found was San Miguel in Spain. But Mickey’s is Mickey’s, it’s one of a kind, very green, very overwhelming.
The next thing about this is the name, Malt Liquor, that adds to its legendary quality. Such unique category is very American, maybe it is only American - because back home we would call this a “beer” (of course, knowing its history I understand why it was labeled like this, to differentiate it from the other, average, lighter lagers usually below 5% ABV.
Along with its relatively higher ABV of 5.6%, it definitely has more malts and maybe even more hops to it and you can feel it in its taste. It is a bit sweeter, rounder but also hoppier as well, reminds me of the Czech pilsners maybe (which I love). Also is slightly like some Euro lagers? Not sure.
Yes, definitely not as crafted as its Czech counterparts, it has a slight bitter, filmy stickiness remaining on the tongue, but hey, I don’t really care. I appreciate it for what it is. But it does smell very similar to a Czech lezák, tastes somewhere between a pilsner and a cheap lager, but it feels way better. Maybe just for me, but I don’t mind. Maybe I won’t have a chance to drink it again so I just want to enjoy it while it lasts. Maybe next time I will chug it down at once like the legendary Insane Hawaiian Kauhi.

Jan 17, 2020
TomPetty

4.14/5  rDev +64.9%

One of the only 40oz still available in glass in my area. Even if others were in glass they still wouldn’t come close to the quality of mickeys. As long as you drive it into ya cold this is right up there with best choices you can make when selecting a budget booze. Baby you don’t have to live like a refugee, drink mickeys

Dec 27, 2019
TerryW from Canada

2.84/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Well, I'm kinda shocked at how good this beer looks. Big head with some life to it, lots of lace. Sitting on top of a clear gold brew with lots of carbonation action. After that it's run of the mill. Very little aroma and flavour, which makes it inoffensive at least. Starts to skunk a bit as it warms and then take on cheap beer flavours.

ABV is 5.5 in Canada and is sold as beer, not malt liquor.

Dec 23, 2019
Premo88 from Texas

4.03/5  rDev +60.6%

40 oz. bottle poured into 24 oz. mug
(Feb. 20, 2020 best-by date printed on bottle neck)

L: crystal clear yellow-gold, thick tall head of ultra-white foam that dissipates quickly, eating itself like a gose or kettle sour head; keeps a nice collar of white foam and most of a skin; no sticking and minimal lacing

S: sweet malt, corn, grain ... kind of a generic rice/corn/maize note that is hard to peg other than to call it "grain"; the malt is sweet and bready but it doesn't have the peach/apricot note you often find in bread-malt bombs; sweet green bell pepper; stale grain

T: sweet grain, hint of cilantro or even oregano that also comes off as metallic, but the metallic note flashes for half a second and is gone; as it warms it has some bread malt flavor

F: perfect, light and crisp with nothing out of whack and not too watery

O: I dig it. It tastes more or less like a good American adjunct lager to me. It's main drawback is at 5.6% ABV and with more sugar from the malt (more calories), it's not a tradeoff worth making for me often. But I like it enough that I could see myself and Mickey's getting together again in the future. Good beer.

Sep 23, 2019
metter98 from New York

2.38/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that left a large patch of bubbles on the surface and some lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of fusel alcohol are present in the nose.
T: The taste follows the smell and has notes of corn and hints of fusel alcohol.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The aromas and flavors of fusel alcohol detract somewhat from this beer's drinkability, but overall the beer isn't horrible.

Serving type: can

Aug 24, 2019
gvickery from Texas

3.76/5  rDev +49.8%

Look, is medium gold with a moderate white head that dissipates quickly. Smell was disappointing. I mostly picked up a sulphur smell, which is indicative of a lager, was too pronounced. Taste was surprisingly full bodied, it is very much like a popular Euro-lager sold in a green can. Lol. There is a noticeable corn flavor that distinguishes it from the Euro counterparts. Overall, this is one of the best American adjunct lagers around. No, it’s not a CRAFT beer, it is well made and enjoyable. Cheers

Aug 22, 2019
thw5000 from South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev +39.4%

I spent most of my life drinking adjunct lagers and so so beers. Since moving to SC where its warm to the extreme most of the time, these cheaper lighter beers drink easier, esp after being outside and being soaked thru with sweat.
For me, this is the best malt liquor going. No objectionable flavors. Yeah i know its not craft like or anything special, but when your throat is parched and you mouth is dry, this stuff goes down really well. I buy 40 oz bottles at the local convenience store for $2 each. Cant beat that.

Aug 13, 2019
BeerAndGasMasks from Virginia

3.19/5  rDev +27.1%

From the bottle, it pours a clear golden color with a nice head that lasts. Scents of grain in the nose. The mouth gets a light bit of sweetness with just a touch of malt.

Jun 21, 2019
Mdog from Minnesota

3.6/5  rDev +43.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Clear gold, ok head.

Smell: Grainy, corn, mildly sweet.

Taste: Moderate sweetness, corn, refreshing!

Overall: Picked up a 6 pack since I had a malt liquor craving. Excellent malt liquor, not too heavy, not too sweet, easy to drink, and has a little kick. My favorite malt liquor.

Jun 06, 2019
Scrapss from Pennsylvania

3.25/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

ABV: 6.0-9.0% | IBU: 10-30 | Glassware: Pint Glass (or Becker, Nonic, Tumbler)

That is what the style recommends. I prefer in a brown paper bag, rolled down to halfway down to the ogive.

This is proper for the style and maintains thermal integrity...unless you're playing edward 40 hands this is a must. I did dump some into a small glass to judge, however.

A:.fizzy yellow with a huge tightly bubbled head that settles to a wispy disk and thick collar at edges. Spritely carbonation.

S: surprisingly not skunky despite dreaded green glass. Some notes of grain, grain and more graininess.

T: light cereal and grain and some grassiness. Highly attenuated as per style

M: smooth and dry yet creamy due to carbonation. Slick, then a little dry bitterness at ultimate finish makes this very pleasant.

O: some malt liquor gets a bad rap. Mickey's is not terribly undrinkable and it packs a good punch with a decent mouthfeel while keeping fusels low. Reminds me of cream ale's big brother.

May 28, 2019
Maho6611 from California

2.9/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I have lots of early memories with this brew lol. It was always my go to back in the day because it was cheap and it gets the job done.
Smells like corn and malt, tastes like sweet corn flakes with a boozy finish Light-medium body mouthfeel
Its pretty well balanced for what it is.
Even though I’ve moved on to IPA’s, I still occasionally drink Mickeys, its damn good.

Apr 17, 2019
JDMOTHERD from Ohio

Slammed a 40 of this in less then a minute taste corn and malt but its very light. Next to colt 45 Mickey's is where I go if I can't find a 40 of colt 45 and I only drink colt 45 in a 40. I live in a rather rural community and I don't think 40s are for others if you catch my drift. I'm not being a racist. Malt liquor and card games is all I do. Mickey's fine malt liqour is where it is.

Jan 31, 2019
Nicholas660 from Kansas

The absolute perfect Malt Liquor nothing will ever top mickey's the best 40 for the money not to heavily flavored not to sweet but very little bitterness it has an amazing balance especially in the world of malt liquors a very underrated class of beers I would honstly class it as more of a golden lager just with a slightly higher alcohol content that takes it out of the aal category but definitely doesn't fit into the European countries category of a malt liquor but all in all it is a solid beer that dosen't throw any punches but it doesn't have to it is a great brew for the money.

Jan 27, 2019
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

2.5/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

As malt liquors go, this one is not too bad. The problem is that it's not too good either. The big mouth bottles back in the day were cool we thought. They were also a way to get this brew into your mouth quicker. 2.5 rating, below average but far from terrible.

Jan 25, 2019
Drak-Nib from Nebraska

2.25/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From the bad old days. Even then, I was trying the wonders of the average gas station. It’s not my favorite. The 24-oz. felt like forever to finish. I may have to wash it down with some Bud Light. ca. 2009

Nov 13, 2018
MetalRocker94 from Tennessee

4.85/5  rDev +93.2%

Appearance- Deep Gold, Extremely Thick White Head, Very Bubbly.
Aroma- Sweet, Malty, Corny, White Breadiness, and Somewhat Hoppy.
Taste- Sweet, Malty, Very Corny, Slight Citrus, Very Bready, and Quite Hoppy.
Mouthfeel- Light-Medium and a Light-Medium Body.
Overall Conclusion- A great Malt Liquor from SAB-Miller. One of the best in the style. Goes well with any kind of food. Also a great session or relax at Malt Liquor. Would recommend.

Oct 30, 2018
pat61 from Minnesota

2.25/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This had more appeal when I was underage and could drink it out of the green big mouth bottles. I have only seen it in cans recently. Sweet corn and light grain lead the flavor and the aroma and there are a handful of hops lending some bitterness. Its alcohol used to be its main selling point. The flavor is not much.

Sep 09, 2018
Lingenbrau from Oregon

4.06/5  rDev +61.8%

No question, Mickey's looks damn fine. Brilliantly clear brass with a sticky white foam cap. Now I'm thirsty.

Crushed cereal and corn syrup. Just as it should smell.

Corn syrup and corn syrup. Just as it should taste. Maybe a pinch of crushed grain. Wow. Really pushing the boundaries here.

Light, clean, smooth,a little slick, definitely sweet. Almost zero bitterness. Boom.

Hey, at $0.59 per 12 oz., what do you want? Stop rating beers comparing to your favorites of different styles. This is a MALT LIQUOR folks. And as a malt liquor, it's pretty damn good. Otherwise it would already be off the shelves. Cheers.

Aug 29, 2018
Jbbdrinker from Texas

2.29/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Deep amber color and sudsy head. The aroma is an sweet malt-like one, but faint and off a bit. Hop bitterness is essentialy non existent and the flavor is sweet with a metallic, malt body. Carbination is low. This brew becomes less attractive as it warms.

Aug 17, 2018
TrojanRB from California

3.17/5  rDev +26.3%

What the pale yellow beverage lacks in appearance, is more than made up for by the wonderful 12oz grenade that it comes in.

Smells fairly clean, a bit of corn, almost a floral characteristic.

Taste is slightly sweet corn.

Minimal carbonation, relatively crisp, and avoids the oiliness that is often found with malt beverages.

For what it is, it's pretty solid.

Aug 08, 2018
jvgoor3786 from Arkansas

2.5/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer pours a very clear, light yellowish/tan color with minimal head and almost no lacing.

The smell reminds me a slightly fresher version of the dead Bud Light cans I had to throw away from golf carts when I worked at a golf course as a kid. I'm also getting some corn and maybe a little lemon.

The taste is also very corn heavy with a hint of breadiness and brightness before quickly dying to a sweet, bland finish. The flavor goes away very quickly.

The mouthfeel is highly carbonated and slightly sticky.

Overall the flavor isn't bad but the finish is terrible. It's drinkable but not for 40oz.

Jul 29, 2018
lancelovett from Georgia

3.51/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A smoother tasting Malt Liquor. I do not know if it is top fermented or not, which I understand traditional malt liquors are/were.
Most times, the ABV determines whether it is a malt liquor nowadays.

Jun 26, 2018
Strix from Wisconsin

2.61/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Clear golden, initial frothy head

The nose is quite pleasant, corn, a bit of floral hop, slight grassiness

Initial sweetness quickly souring to a grassy and metallic aftertaste. On the whole, not far off many adjunct lagers.

Well carbonated.

Certainly not the bottom of this style, but In the future I'll probably save my calories for something worth drinking.

Jun 11, 2018
Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 60 out of 100 with 1366 ratings