Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Peabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue Corn | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Peabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue CornPeabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue Corn
4.05/5
Exceptional

Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub
North Carolina, United States
foothillsbrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Peabody's Blendiculous #2 is a collaboration with Peabody's Beer and Wine Merchants. The brew is the Second of the Blendiculous Series. Children of the Blue Corn is an Extremely Hopped Imperial Brown Ale, that has been aged in Balcones "Rumble" Blue Corn Whiskey Barrels (aged with mission Figs, Turbinado Sugar, and Wildflower Honey) and Single Malt Whiskey Barrels for Three Months. The Beer was then blended with some Exotic Tangerine Oils, to create an amazing layered experience! Big Ripe Hops in the front, and smooth balanced barrel notes round into a soft tangerine finish. This is a One-Time Release in the series with only 120 Cases produced!

Added by Dano420 on 12-07-2013

3.54/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.26/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bottle. Cloudy brown tone with a large tan foamstand. Creamy, toasted oak & roasty barley nose with cocoa hints. Decent brown ale light whiskey sourness and a dry citrus hoppiness.

3.87/5  rDev -4.4%

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.62/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a light brown with a huge foamy head. Didn't get any barrel notes on the nose, and it was barely noticeable when tasting, either. It had a resinous flavor that I thought did an injustice to the notion of a brown ale. I thought it was a bit of a mess, which was really disappointing with how much I like Foothills.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.94/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into a tulip glass. I was able to try this on the release day, so I figured I would let it sit for a year.

A: Pours a thick dark brown with no light showing through. A large foamy khaki head leaves a ton of lacing as well as a large cap long after the pour.

S: Dosent have a very strong scent some oak as well as grassy hops.

T: fair amount of barrel flavor, but not to much, lots of tangerine present as well as a very dry hop flavor, mostly grassy and citrus hops, maybe a bit of resinous. Some carmel and vanilla flavors as it warms up.

F: Body is decent although I wouldn't mind it being a bit thicker. Barrel flavor clings to my teeth after a sip. Hops leave the mouth a bit dry after each sip.

O: its a really good Brown ale, I defiantly liked it better when it was fresher, However even then I don't think it was worth the $15 a bottle price, especially when there are options like DFH Indian brown out there.

3.76/5  rDev -7.2%

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

This beer has me nonplussed. I had it on the release day and then I picked up a bottle several weeks later. The initial impact lingered with me for several days afterward. I wondered if I should have picked up a bottle sooner, but then I was hesitant, it was was in my; a little too much for what I thought it was, price range. Then I was back in the store and decided to just bow to fate, because I was in the mood to give it a second try. The following experience was profound. I like bourbon aged beers, I have never had one of this style bourbon aged and I guess that is the point. I have had Balcones whisky before and I don't care much for it. I am a Kentucky purist. However, it worked well for this beer. It was Texas all the way, red Texas grapefruit and bourbon along with some malt and piney hopes, but with a certain sweetness that just leaves your palate wondering what? The only downfall is it was a bit thin in the mouthfeel. A beer with this kind of mouth impact should be more velvety, I believe. It is quiet piquant and I will probably get another one if they are not sold out. I missed the first round of this "Blendiculous" series, but this one top notch. It is a strange fellow but one I would recommend for the occasional brew that will leave your mouth like a revenant wondering the earth for something that is so salubrious yet full of peril.

Edit:

I have now tried a second bottle of this beer as I thought it would age fairly well due to the barrel aging. When I had this beer fresh it was spicy and had a nice hoppyness to it. After aging it a while it loses that characteristic. A lot of what I liked about this beer when fresh I disliked now as they have faded. I rated it fairly high before, I would have to say now that it has some age on it, that should be dropped. This is not a beer that ages well in my opinion. Very much like IPA's in that regard. It has dropped its hop characteristics and turned into a malt bomb with some faint bourbon characteristics.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Peabody's Blendiculous Series 2 - Children Of The Blue Corn from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub