Sun Haus Lager | Bullfrog Brewery

Bullfrog Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
bullfrogbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Hojaminbag on 03-08-2012

4.25/5  rDev 0%

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Sun Haus Lager has a slightly hazy, orange body and a thick line of off-white head that leave nice lacing and has pretty good retention.

The aroma is basically all hops, specifically American Hops. Grapefruit, citrus and resin.

I went into this one expected a traditional pilsner of some sort, but what it is seems to be the ingredients of a hoppy pale ale that has had the yeast switched out and been lagered. At the time I was really in the mood for a pilsner, but what I got was still a solid beer. The hops dominate the flavor, with citrus, resin and a little bit of pine coming through again, as well as a good amount of bitterness. Unlike the aroma, there are also some spicy, earthy flavors to the hops. The malt is in the background, and is mostly pale malt with a touch of caramel flavors. It adds a bread flavor that does just a little bit to balance out the overall flavor profile.

The bitterness is fairly biting, but the mouthfeel overall is dialed in to about where it should be.

This beer confused me a bit, as I went into it expecting a yellow colored beer with noble hops and all pale malts. What I got didn't match that at all, and I probably could not have told you that it was actually a lager as opposed to a pale ale. Either way, not a bad tasting beer, but really hard to categorize. I guess "American Pale Lager" is where it fits, but it isn't reminiscent of other members of the style.

Sun Haus Lager from Bullfrog Brewery