Mayday Hills T | Bridge Road Brewers

Style: American IPA

Added by doktorhops on 03-09-2017

Reviews by doktorhops:
4.27/5  rDev 0%

This one literally leaped right off the shelf and into my shopping basket: 100 percent Brettanomyces yeast fermented IPA aged in Oak Foeder barrels with green tea added... I. Love. All. Those. Things. So I guess a bigger part of my mind [than I care to admit] since the purchase of Mayday Hills T has been devoted to deciphering exactly what to expect from these seemingly random delicious things thrown together in a giant standing oak barrel: Sour character - undoubtedly, tea astringency - of course, vanilla notes - obvs, earthy/citric hops - one would think. But instead of me wasting time thinking what may come, I may as well simply pop a cap and hook in to the amber fluid inside *runs off to fridge*.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Hazed perfect amber body with a nice white 1 centimetre cappuccino foam head on top... lacing on the glass rim isn’t spectacular (eg; leaving scrawling on the side) but it’s a fine looking beer to be sure (or if you’re Irish “tubeesher”). 8/10.

S: Crazy interesting aromas happening here - Saison yeast spiced barnyard characters, over-ripe decaying apples/pear, white wine vinous notes, a floral scent, and even a hint of chocolate! Weird, I know, but what a complex and fruit ester driven fragrance resides in my glass right now. Literally cannot wait another second - must... drink... now... 9/10.

T: Well... it’s definitely an eye opener... the brett-ridden Oak Foeder gives it a heavy white wine vinous slant... sort of like how Rodenbach Grand Cru is the red wine version of a beer this is equally one of the most white wine versions of beer I’ve encountered (try Wolf of the Willows ISP for total Sauv-Blanc beer experience). Overall flavours are: White wine (Chardonnay grapes) Saison yeast spice, barnyard notes, pepper, cider apples, and the finish has a nice Champagne dryness. Overall the balance is between sweet/dry/bitter and none has the upper hand. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a thin but active carbonation. 7/10.

D: I’ve got to be honest but this was right up my alley what with me getting into really good French Champagnes lately (Billecart-Salmon is my favourite so far). However I can see other beer drinkers not being such a fan of a brew like this, which is driven by white wine flavours. Buyer beware in that respect. However if you love your Saisons/Flanders Reds you will know what to expect and be quite at home with a brew like this. Cheerio! 8/10.

Food match: Can I be indulgent and say something like truffle cheese? [Yes!].

4.76/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of those beers. Just like Stone's Enjoy After
Why do i say that? - drink IPA fresh, but let Brett build in bottle. So - if you drink too early, you get an IPA with little Brett, if you drink too late you get Brett, but a dull base.
In this instance, I got it just right timing-wise and it was fantastic - all fresh hops goodness and zest, and a bucket-load (well not quite but) of Brett. All zesty and lively and a joy to drink

Mayday Hills T from Bridge Road Brewers