Purple Reign

n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 9 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.59/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Following a recent marathon that I raced, my and my wife's families all got together and went to Upland Brewing Company for dinner. Dad and I got there first so we decided to go ahead and grab a beer while we waited. Naturally, we went for an Oktoberfest first. After that we all ordered different beers to go with our dinner and my wife ordered Purple Reign. As she generally does, she allowed me a few sips to review it.

This beer arrived at the table with next to no head that dissipated very quickly to an ultra thin lacing (what was there was a bright white color). The beer itself has a purplish red hue that is clear and has only light carbonation visible. 3.5/5 The aroma is very fruity sweet with notes of dates, raisins, and berries along with a dark, wheaty malt plus a bit of herbal hops and a bit of a tea note. There is a bit of an earthy undertone that is pervasive throughout the aroma as well. 3.75/5 The flavor, as with the aroma, is very fruity sweet with berries, dates, and raisins coming out quite strongly right off the bat before an earth, moss-like note comes through. There is very little in the way of a noticeable malt profile. Herbal hops lend a light bitterness that lingers lightly on the palate after swallowing. Interestingly, there is a very light tartness to this beer. 3.5/5 This beer is light to medium bodied with a light carbonation tickle up front that leads into just a slight drying that does not linger after swallowing. 3.75/5 This beer is definitely not one of my top choices but my wife did like it. The fruit really comes through and drinks like a lighter version of a fruity wheat beer. It actually did pair well with my dinner which was pork with a bourbon sauce. 3.5/5

Purple Reign from Upland Brewing Company