Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Added by granger10 on 04-11-2004

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
4.89/5  rDev n/a

5.5% ABV.
Enjoyed in the company of Mike and Tim at the brewery.

Pours out to a slightly hazy very dark brown (near black) with mahogany accents, forming a modest dark tan head with good retention and average lacing. Intense aroma of oily French roast coffee (this is not a "coffee-like" smell...this is pure coffee) with black walnut, vanilla, chocolate, and a touch of smoke. I am seriously digging this. Mouthfeel is smooth with a medium-dense body and a lightly dry finish. Taste begins with a beautiful tartness of dark malts, intense coffee (though nowhere near as intense as the Breakfast Stout), dry chocolate, mild woody and green hops with some light chalk in the finish and lingering roasted grain notes. Mild bitterness with a hint of sourness in the finish, probably from the rye. Fresh on tap, the smokiness is distinct and seemed to mellow in the growler.

Wow! I am in heaven..this is amazing stuff. I could drink this all night long. Reminds me of what Bell's Porter used to taste like. Not quite as sweet or rich as Edmund Fitz. The shiznit of Michigan porters, and one of the best I've ever had. Highly recommended.

4.25/5  rDev n/a

I have had this beer three times now at Founder's and each time I like it more. The first time I had it I only found it to be decent but there was a band playing and I think the room was too smoky. The next time I had it I liked it a whole lot more but that was after a few beforehand. I had it again last night to start the night off and I really did like it a lot. The chocolate/rye mixture was quite interesting, something I had never really tasted before. The beer was very dark but the head faded quickly. Rye is very prevalent and almost too strong at times, it kinda hides the chocolate upfront but the further one goes the more chocolate they will find. This beer really improves as it warms. Not the smoothest beer but most of founder's beers aren't the smoothest but are still damn good. I would recommend trying this one if you have the chance.

Founders Chocolate Rye Porter from Founders Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.