Founders Bourbon Maple Porter | Founders Brewing Company

Added by mcallister on 04-26-2007

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 6
4.31/5  rDev -1.4%

Had on tap at the Blind Pig 1/14/10

A - Pours black with hints of brown at the edges with 1 finger of mocha head.

S - Subtle maple notes are most prevalent. Hint of bourbon. A bit underwhelming, and hopefully the taste carries more flavor.

T - Thankfully, the taste pulls through. Delivers just as the name promises both maple and bourbon flavors. They accentuate each other nicely, the bourbon balancing out the sweetness of the maple. Some toasted malt is present as well as a hint of hop flavor.

M - A little thin, creamy, low carbonation.

D - Drinks extremely well for a 7% beer let alone a 13%. Smooth and delicious.

4.63/5  rDev +5.9%

I found "The Stairway To Heaven"!! I now know where Led Zeppelin found it to. Rock on! In beautiful Grand Rapids, Michigan is located a massive building well maintained called ‘The Brass Works Building.’ Tucked away in the corner of this building is a brewpub. I sat at the bar, and asked for a 'Bourbon Maple Porter.' I don't think there are any Hallucinogens in the beer but swear the "The Stairway To Heaven" was right there. Time and space stood completely still while I was consumed by this beer, or was it the other way around.

Appearance: Served a dark Mahogany color in the proper snifter glass. When Back-Lit the beer showcases deep red hues through the body. There is a tan head that quickly faded to a collar around the glass.

Smell: Sweet maple, leads in the aroma right off the bat. Then a big serving of vanilla and caramel and dark fruits, wood and finally a touch of boozy alcohol that suggests bourbon. So far, I like it.

Taste: I lift it to my mouth and ... Now I love it. MAPLE WALLOP! Flavors just burst of maple and vanilla on the tip of my tongue. It is creamy and smooth with a rich hearty malty feel through the mouth and the bourbon flavors seem to soak into my cheeks so that when I finally swallow, each sip leaves with the woody whiskey flavors all over my palate and I am salivating like a dog for the next sip!

Mouthfeel: It is a complicated mouthfeel because the alcohol is definitely warm to hot on the cheeks, and the aroma of the alcohol is actually 'steaming' off the beer and up through my sinuses while the beer is in my mouth. To concentrate on the mouthfeel was a challenge. It is juicy and not quite thick but closer to full than to medium bodied. The bourbon on the back of my throat was perfect!

Drinkability: I wish I had an unlimited supply of this beer. It is unique. It is a sipping beer and it is exceptional!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

This beast pours black and shows signs of good carbonation with a cascading effect upon swirling. However pours with virtually no head and leaves a off tan head around the rim.

Aromas of sweet bourbon, toasted vanilla and coconut, maple brown sugar, rasin, prune, and other dried fruits. Mollasses and a certain nutty quality.

Very sweet maple flavors. Mouth is medium-thin. Hints of roasty charred malts, with a big alcohol chest. Sweetness is somewhat cloying but is still very good and drinkable. Bourbon really shines through on the finish while the coconut and toasty vanilla are shown in the mid palate. Dried fruits of raisin and prune with a black currant, and hints of black cherry sidebar. Very good BA beer and happily enjoyed.

Founders Bourbon Maple Porter from Founders Brewing Company