Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Yellow Submarine Munich Helles | Dry Dock Brewing Co.

3.58/5
Good

Dry Dock Brewing Co.
Colorado, United States
drydockbrewing.com

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by Domingo on 02-17-2010

3.18/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the brewpub. Clear yellow coloured body, only a notion of a head. yet fresh, lacey, carbonation. A thinnish mouthfeel contraining some light bitterness. Its the style alright, however not a great representation because of the carbonation, the lack of a body to it. Just OK drinkability.

3.98/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'll be pretty honest, when I had this beer last fall I though it was pretty good, but nothing amazing. Plus, it was also closer to a pils or export in my opinion.
However, the one I had in 02/10 was quite different.
Arrived a pale color that isn't quite golden. That's a step in the right direction already as a helles should be ligher and straw colored. A 1/2" cap of head stays on top for the duration. Again, this is how a helles should be.
Smells sweet, mildly bready, and fresh with a kiss of clover honey from the lager yeast. It has just enough hay-like hops in there to hit the mark for a south German specialty instead of north or west.
The taste reminded me of a fresh Paulaner helles in Munich. Bready and slightly sweet with just a little bit of bittering hops for balance.
Texture isn't too thick or too thin - it's foamy, but stable.
You can drink as much of this as you attention span allows. It's flavorful but without being overwhealming or boring.

Having had a lot of helles in Munich, it really is about as close of an American example I've had. It reminds me a lot of the Paulaner hell.

Yellow Submarine Munich Helles from Dry Dock Brewing Co.