Bender - Bourbon Barrel Aged | Surly Brewing Company

Added by Todd on 06-25-2006

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 5
2.85/5  rDev -24.4%

A- Black color and still

S- A light bourbon nose, but thats it really.

T- Thin bourbon with caramel flavor from the bourbon and some vanilla.

M- Too thin it really leaves me wanting more to hold up the bourbon flavors.

D- Too easy to drink for the taste and it really distracts from the overall experience.

3.43/5  rDev -9%

Tried this one on tap at the Blue Nile - thanks Al and the Surly folks.

Served in a Koningshoeven chalice/goblet. Nice deep brown color with reddish tints. Minimal to no head but a few swirls brought it back. Minimal lacing.

Aroma is total bourbon - faint hints of roasted malt and bit of wood smoke (oak?).

Taste - again the bourbon is extremely forward in this beer. Quite dry. Warm and strong, this beer is not for the faint of heart. Underlying the strong bourbon flavor are light notes of roasted malt. I was hoping for more complexity but the bourbon flavor over took almost everything else.

Like several other liquor-enhanced beers I've tasted, BBB is quite a bit drier in the mouth than what the regular Bender is.

I couldn't drink more than one of these. When it comes to hard liquor, I favor vodka, gin and tequila over whiskey/bourbon/scotch. If you like the darker liquors, then you'll love this beer. I'll try anything Todd and Omar put together. But for me, I favor Surly's Furious, Darkness and One.

4.37/5  rDev +15.9%

The last of this beer sits in a keg at the Blue Nile...and I'm drinking it!

Opaque tawny brown body, creamy tannish foam coats the top...

Aroma is straight-up bourbon, sweet, corny, yet rough and raw...you can feel the qualities of Bender way below..way way below...

Taste: lush, lovely, smooth, then powerful, a potent blast of bourbon that keeps far apace the Bender flavors, fairly smothers them. But it's got it's own wonderful charm, and many rewards. Further notes of chocolate, maple, leather, nuts...

smooth as Bender is, but adding so many additional pleasures from the whiskey barrel...just delicious!

I could drink this all night long and count myself so many times happier. And perhaps regret the act in the morning, but what's life without a regret or two?

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap at the brewery.

Pours a dark-reddish brown similar to original Bender. Great head retention, looks rich and creamy in my glass...then fizzles slowly as it sits...leaving just a light layer on top.

Smells just like a snifter of bourbon...awesome. Some light malty, nutty scents as well. I can't smell the same hops and flavors I could in Bender. The bourbon scent overpowers it.

Great warm flavor...slides over my tongue leaving hints of bourbon...I think I can pick up some earthy, oak tones. The great part is being able to pick up hints of grapefruit and hops in my mouth as well. Delicious.

I'm not huge on Bourbon in general, and this beer did take me a little longer to finish than most, but I really enjoyed the Bourbon Bender. Probably good for me that it's just a seasonal for Surly, but I'll definitely have another when it's around

Bender - Bourbon Barrel Aged from Surly Brewing Company