Sriracha Hot Stout | Rogue Ales

3.54/5
Alströms:

3.94/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a narrow pint glass: color is solid black, head is tan, fine bubbles, presents 1/2 inch thick.

Smell is prototypical chile stout - lightly vegetal, hints of chile pepper spice, moderate roast backbone.

Taste is similar with a light heat that presents at the start and lingers, moderate roast flavors, hint of neutral malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light sweetness, lingering spiciness.

Overall a good beer - even with a bit of aging - spiciness is not overdone, flavor is not too vegetal but the spiciness is solid and lingers well.

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.06/5  rDev +14.7%

3.68/5  rDev +4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Best bottle ever. The aroma is of a very good stout, with typical coffee tones. The taste is also of a very good dry stout. You can discern coffee and chocolate, and the pepper follows in the back of the tongue and throat. It is just subtle enough to work. Overall, those who, like chocolate and chili together will probably enjoy this one. It is a bomber, though, so probably a bit much to drink without a partner. It is more for sipping than gulping.

3.77/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.47/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

I'l keep this short: That bite of Sriracha on the back end ruined this for me. Just not what I look for in a beer, and I like spicy food. This is one I won't repeat.

4.11/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Let's start off by saying that this reviewer likes Sriracha and spicy food generally. Your view on hot food will greatly influence your views on this beer.

Look is what you would expect for the typical stout. Here, it's on the carmel-looking side, not extremely dark and not too thick-looking.

Smell is, in and of itself, pleasant to me. A mix of stout and Sriracha sauce. It smells like a hot curry and a dark beer sitting beside one another. Even if you don't like the taste, it's still a nice smell.

The taste starts off a little bit thin, then you sense some nice dark malts, and then the heat kicks in. For me, it's not too hot, but my tolerance might be hotter than yours. The aftertaste is-no surprise here-peppery. Though thoughts on spicy tastes can vary, I don't feel that this brew is so spicy that it would scare you away.

I will give a 4 on taste. Because this is different from most beer, it's hard to rate, but I personally like, though maybe they could have taken it in a different direction. Even then, it's still hard to say what would be the best way to balance this. I feel it could use a little more maltiness, but maybe that would throw it off. Try it with pizza!

Feel is a little more thin than I would prefer, but it makes up for it in flavor.

Overall, I will go with a 4. This is an interesting experiment, and I think it works. Would suggest that you try it once. While I wouldn't want it all the time, I have come back to it again after my initial purchase.

If you like stout and you like spicy food, don't pass this up. If you don't go for hot flavors, you should probably avoid it.

4.24/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.39/5  rDev +24%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I don't like chili pepper/spicy hot stouts, but I do love sriracha. Couldn't pick up any sriracha in the aroma, maybe the bottle was a bit old. The first sip went down nice and smooth, delivering the classic flavors of a stout; roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, a little raisiny sweetness, I was sitting there thinking "what kind of bullshit beer is this? dressing up a beer like a sriracha bottle so all the hipsters will suck it down like a fancy PBR and serve it with their vegan eggs for breakfast. This is just a stout with a cool ass bottle, there ain't even any srira..." BOOM. The sriracha hits. Rolling up to the party fashionably late with a black leather jacket and raybans on a beautifully restored 1966 Honda CA77 Dream. Super smooth, with a bit of lingering heat that keeps you coming back for more. It complements the roasted, slightly smokey, chocolatey flavors of the stout well while not being overpowering, like sriracha can easily be. I split this bomber with some buds, so I had about 5 oz for myself but definitely could have put away a few more OZs. Worth a try, even if you're not keen on spicy foods.

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.54/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Look: 4.25
Very black and thick. No light through this one at all. 1-2 finger head. Head retention is good. Thick and a dark tan color.

Smell: 4.5
Charred oak, sweet caramel, slight fruit, grape and apple, slight spiciness.

Taste: 4.75
There’s a nice hoppy beginning with a good bitter bite. Bitterness fades a bit and then shoved aside by rich chocolate, coffee, caramel, nuts, and smoky wood. It then starts to get a bit warm. Starts to dry out and the heat starts to increase. I get the head and spice, but don’t get a Sriracha flavor really (being like a mouthful of strong fresh garlic and onion).

Feel: 4.0
Full and thick. Somewhat oily and it flattens out a bit as you go.

Overall: 4.5
I’m quite impressed with the underlying beer in this one. It isn’t just a gimmicky brew with the grandstanding ingredient focal point, but well balanced in all aspects (hops, bitterness, malt, spice). Could have been spicier even (but I really like scorching hot things).

3.81/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This one poured out a jet black with one finger of a soapy light brown head. As I got towards the end of my glass I saw visible sediment floating in the bottom of the bowl of my tulip glass.

The smell was very faint. Barely picking up some coffee and something like olives or peppers.

The taste is like a spicy carbonated coffee.

Mouth feel is fairly light for a stout, could be said to be bordering on a medium mouth feel. This is also very heavily carbonated and has a wet finish.

This is an odd combo of flavors that makes for an odd beer. The chili does burn for a while and my lips were tingling a bit from the chili. And I am a hot food lover so the burn in here is noticeable but not as hot as a Habenero Sculpin. I found this at our local corner gas station for just $3.99 for the bomber and it runs over $10 at Total Wine. For that crazy price I am glad I got to try this beer out. If you like dark beers and are a chili head I recommend you try this beer out.

3.64/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a black rooty body with a slightly red-tinted beige head.

I'm not getting much on the nose except for some roast malts, chocolate shavings, and a drop of chili sauce.

Leave it to Rogue to concoct something like this. It's totally weird and unlike anything I've ever had before. The chili burn is there, in the form of sriracha hot sauce, cayenne, and chili powder. Roast malts come up underneath, with suggestions of cocoa and coffee. At times the burn gets to be too much and I find myself wincing as I'm sipping this. My stomach is also starting to develop a quarter-sized hole. It finishes dry with pure cayenne.

Feel is good, pretty much on the lighter side of what I'd consider stout territory but still well on par. Roasty dry finish. Tons of burn.

Overall, this is a crazy mashup of an oatmeal stout and a chile beer. It's...uncomfortable. That's the best way I can describe it. Still, the stout base is pretty solid.

3.74/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle served cold into a tulip. Purchased while visiting the States for more than i would've liked, but this has been a beer I've been curious to try for a long time now. Awesome looking sriracha rooster bottle.

Appearance - Pours a dark brown, near black colored beer with a decadent two finger head that sticks around for quite a while. Frothy like mocha coloring on top and some stylish swathes of lacing.

Smell - Lots of coffee, suggestions of chocolate and definitely something peppery lingering under there. Impossible to tell the nature of pepper or the sauce but it's clearly nothing insane like ghost pepper.

Taste - Initially coffee, then bold amounts of spicy flavor come leaching through. Impressively not that far off sriracha sauce. Some creamy milk like aspects but then burning in the back of the throat and on the tongue. Not from being too hot mind, you but there is a burning sensation.

Mouthfeel - Sleek and easy drinking until you get to the prickly spicy parts of the beer then it just becomes a light burning sensation, but not necessarily in a good way. Otherwise body is medium-heavy carbonation is just fine.

Overall - Would be more impressed if this was closer in flavor to sriracha, but definitely a good beer that is chiles first. Don't love the burning sensation although it becomes more agreeable the more you've had. Still this is a beer that I think hits all the points the brewer was looking for so, kudos to that and gets better as your mouth acclimatizes. An expensive proposition I won't repeat, but glad to have tried.

3.31/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.67/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a lovely dark rich coffee color and chocolate head. Smell is recognizable and tempting. Taste is not too spicy but reminds me of other stouts I have enjoyed. The spicy heat is kind of nice after a while. Mouthfeel is beer like but sort of meaty but thins out and leaves the spicy heat and the urge to drink more to cool that heat. I would share this Magnum bottle next time. Cheers!

4.14/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.89/5  rDev +9.9%

3.1/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours much thinner than expected and sits a dark brown cola color with bits of light passing through the edges. The nose on this beer is rather unremarkable and unappetizing. Way too malty with vegetable matter notes. No hint of sriracha at all. The taste thankfully does not follow the smell. Light hints of coffe notes and you definitely get some coating heat that gets more intense as it warms. The feel is light and pretty well carbonated. Overall an A for creativity but an F in the execution. Needs a bigger and better base stout; only thing going for it is that it is spicy.

3.81/5  rDev +7.6%

Aroma is a stout with hint of roasted peppers. The taste is sweet stout with a mild spicy roasted jalapeno finish. Not something I would buy again, buy was glad to experience. As an old guy now on medicare, I prefer to have my peppers with my food then drink my beer. I guess someone had to try to make a beer with both flavors. It was successful, but I would prefer a great stout to drink with my spicy food, not a spicy beer to drink with my bland food.

3.93/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

3.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sriracha Hot Stout from Rogue Ales