Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) - Brandy Barrel-Aged, Vanilla & Cocoa Beans | Mikkeller ApS

3.53/5
Good
1 Rating

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Porter

Added by Thehuntmaster on 01-06-2012

3.53/5  rDev 0%

375ml bottle 6,6% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
BB:26/01/2017

I cannot believe I am adding a beer from Mikkeller!

Appearance: Good lord, this does not look like a porter! Black-hole like blackness, no highlights, no edges, no nothing! I would have said this is a 10-15% imperial stout. How on earth do they get a 6% beer this black?
A rough pour yields a large mocha coloured head that lasts really well and leaves great lace.
If the appearance is anything to go by this is going to be a stunning beer.

Smell: Mmmmm delicious; fine dark chocolate, cocoa, burned malt, espresso, light smoke, oak, sweet vanilla, a touch of brandy and a light nose tingle from the chipotles. Warming yields sweet, dark caramel and more chilli spiciness.
This is amazingly complex for a 6% beer!

Taste: First sip: Um, there is no flavour, wtf!
Maybe I wasn't concentrating.
Second (bigger) sip: Bitter, lightly hot water. Again wtf.
I must be missing something.
Third sip (gulp): Nope, this beer really has almost no flavour! Bitter charred malt, chipotle heat, a touch of cocoa and a hint of oak is about it.
I guess if the appearance and nose hadn't raised my hopes so much this would have been an acceptable drink.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, lightly sticky but sadly very badly carbonated. Over carbonated an quite harsh. Not the best feeling beer around. I did enjoy the chilli heat though.

Overall: If the taste had been on par with the nose this would have been a superb beer. I cannot help but think this might have been a bad bottle.

Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) - Brandy Barrel-Aged, Vanilla & Cocoa Beans from Mikkeller ApS