Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Voodoo Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
voodoobrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Blend of Big Black Voodoo Daddy and Black Magick aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels.

Added by Rifugium on 03-27-2013

4.78/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.47/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.71/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.66/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.83/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Philly Beer Week 2014 -- Bainbridge Barrel House - Lee's birthday !

Poured into a round avg size snifter

Appears dark, motor oil, little head of tannish bubbles. Low carbonation.

Great smell, all the best stout characteristics but to another level with Pappy.

Tastes is just out of this world great. I may compare it to Bourbon County, but I believe this is smoother and more refined. Bourbon, dark chocolate, oak, vanilla...did I mention Pappy bourbon---ahhh the best.

Mouthfeel could be a bit thicker, but that would be the only slight improvement I can think of.

OVERALL---top 10beer in the world, any style I would say. If you are a hop head maybe not, but I am a Malt Head and love bourbon aged anything. This is the best of the best stouts. I may prefer Hunahpu for a change of pace w/ the cinnamon and pepper bite, but if I had to pick only one stout to take on a deserted island, this may be it.

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

Review from notes. Consumed on “Barrel Release Day” March 23, 2013. I waited in line for hours for the privilege to purchase one of the first cases of the bottle release. Before being called up to purchase my case I enjoyed several of these beers on tap. I took specific notes for each of them and I will finally upload their reviews here on my beeradvocate account. Notes from the board within the brewery: “Curt’s blend of Big Black Voodoo Daddy and Black Magick Aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels.” Poured from Firkin into a snifter.

A Awesome, creamy head that I did not expect from a beer with such a high ABV (13%!) over an absolutely BLACK body that lets no light through. The look cannot be improved. 5.0

S Awesome bourbon, dark roast malt smell that cannot be improved in my opinion. Really, I repeatedly sniffed this beer and really just enjoyed the smell. I cannot see how it could be improved. 5.0

T Unbelievable bourbon notes, wonderful dark roast malt. Really folks, this is the zenith of the style. Sure, I was already and easy mark for Barrel Aged beers but I am telling you, this is really exceptionally good. It make all of the sacrifices worth it today. 5.0

M Smooth as silk which is not easy with all of the wonderful goodness in the taste. It also cannot be improved. 5.0

D/O Might be surprised to know that the drinkability is not that high. Don’t get me wrong, this is a world class beer but the heat of alcohol is apparent and one could not have more than ...say... two of these. Overall, again, world class version of the style. 5.0

Notes: I may be repeating here but what a special treat this was to enjoy from the firkin today. Wow!

4.34/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes on 4-20-13
Served on tap at House Of 1000 Beers

A - Dark black/brown in appearance, thin and very little tan head.
S - Big sweet bourbon smell, some smoked hickory chips, dried cherries, baking chocolate, and a little sweet malt.
T - Has the alcohol flavor, but no burn, sweet cherries and some chocolate, a touch of mild smoke, but really nice smooth bourbon flavor.
M - Smooth, rich and very sweet, but well bodied, no real carbonation though.
O - Enjoyable, but a sipper on a good winter day is what this is best for.

2 Live Gran Cru Greatest Hits - Vol. 1 from Voodoo Brewery