Remastered Grateful Pale Ale | Starr Hill Brewery

Remastered Grateful Pale AleRemastered Grateful Pale Ale

Starr Hill Brewery
Virginia, United States
starrhill.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

A fresh spin on our Grateful Pale Ale. This Remastered recipe gives Grateful a fruitier hop aroma, more citrus hop flavor and a smoother, fuller body.

Malts: 2-Row, Carafoam, Crystal, Wheat,
Hops: Mosaic, Centennial, Cascade, Falconer's Flight

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 10

This is a solid pale ale. Good straw color with a nice head. Has a slight grapefruit taste, yet still malty and smooth. Glad this has a lower abv because I could put these back all day.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2017-08-05 in Lititz, PA at the Bulls Head Tavern on cask

A - Clear gold with a short off-white head

S - Ripe pineapple, lemon and lightly dank

T - Lemon, biscuit, light pine. Moderately bitter

M - Light carbonation (cask) and medium body. Creamy

O - Enjoyed this on cask but I think I'd like it better with more carbonation.

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Light in color and see through in appearance with an off white head. Lots of carbonation bubbles are seen when held to the light. Very appealing scent of grapefruit/citrus hops with a malt back. Ah...pretty tasty, really good mix of sweetness to counter the bitter citric hops, quite decent I must say. Creamy and less thin than I would have expected mouthfeel with only slight bitterness lasting into the finish.

4.41/5  rDev +11.9%

My second review for New Beer Sunday (Week 641) is the Remastered version of one of Starr Hill's flagship beers. The recipe has changed, the label is new & it really deserves to be thought of as a new beer, much like SA Rebel, now that they have 86'd the caramel malt from the recipe. I may be inviting censure, but I really feel strongly that it is a separate beer from the original.

From the bottle: "A hop-forward, sessionable pale ale."

Oooh, the excitement of a revamped beer! I Pop!ped the cap & since it was utterly fresh, I decided to let fly on the pour. Whee! The foamy, rocky, bone-white head reached the top of the glass, forming just under three fingers of head before settling back down to wisps, but leaving some lacing in its wake as a souvenir. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5) with NE-quality clarity, prompting an impromptu visit from The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus, all clamoring for a taste. I wanted a sniff, first. It was pungent with grapefruit, orange, lemon, a slight dank quality and a light biscuity maltiness. Mmmm. I do not remember the original recipe, but this got my hophead mouth to watering. Suddenly, it dawned on me - Duncan Hines' Orange Supreme cake with Lemon Supreme frosting! That was my choice of birthday cakes for many years as a young man, but I had not had occasion to think on it until just now. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but nothing to write home about or bake a cake over, either. The taste was quite citrusy and juicy, more towards lemon and orange than grapefruit, although it had a light bitterness also. My birthday cake analogy was spot-on in terms of its taste. It may have been a bit more lemony than orangey, but there was plenty of both inherent in this beer. Gee, I really feel youthful drinking this. Is it possible that Ponce de Leon's search for the Fountain of Youth was centered too far south? Has it been in Crozet, VA all of this time? I have a high school classmate who remains a raving beauty close to thirty-five years later & I swear that there is an aged, wrinkled portrait of her sequestered in her attic. Now I know what it must be like to be Althea. When do I get to blow out the candles & open my presents? In continuing to mull it over, I cannot choose a winner - lemon or orange. The flavors just seem to pull ahead & fall back & return to neck-and-neck endlessly. Finish was dry, there was no inherent sweetness that I could discern, but it points to the fact that I have never been big on sweets. That cake was not sweet, by any stretch, and after a lot of kids complained that it was not chocolate with ice cream (ugh), I stopped having parties. Yeah, I missed out on presents, but I liked just having a hand-picked few classmates & friends, plus my grandparents & aunts & uncles over. Books were a good present for me, not toys, & board games were also nice as opposed to the raucous antics at other kids' parties. For a beer to be this evocative is really saying something. My only bugaboo is that it is an APA with SNPA as the style's standard-bearer. Is it fair to compare the two? Perhaps not, but I tend to do just that. I really wish that a "Session IPA/APA" style existed so that I could lose the comparison.

A CAN for The CANQuest (tm)! I love these guys! Today is T, 29 Aug 2017.

From the CAN: "A hop-forward, sessionable pale ale."

The Crack! revealed a craft CAN that was so brimful that I CAN't imagine how they got it seamed shut! I celebrated with an inverted Glug that produced a brief finger of soapy, bone-white suds that quickly dissipated into wisps. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy Pale-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose had a lemony-grapefruit quality with a biscuity backbone. Did somebody say Lemon Biscotti from Enrico's in Pixburgh?!? Count me in! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not much beyond it either. The taste was light, lemony, refreshing, but lacking Ooomph! I keep saying that Session beers should have their own category since CANparing this to the standard bearer, SNPA, is to do it a major disservice. This had the lemon-lime flavor of Sprite or 7-Up, which was nice, but kind of boring. Finish was semi-dry, pleasantly lemony, but unfulfilling in total.

Bottle wins! 8=(